Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 11/7/2005 10:52:31 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy_bunnyy
quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

By the way, does WIF FE simply drop BP fractions? For example, do the Chinese, with 7 PP and a 0.25 multiple, only get 1 BP per turn? The rules are unclear to me on this point.

Rule 2.6 Fractions

basically, round to the nearest whole number, and round halves up. on negative numbers rounding "up" moves you closer to zero.

that answer your question? this leads to all sorts of interesting gamey ways to manipulate your production so as to get the most BP from the least amount of PP and to maximize oil, if playing with it.

Yes. Thank you. Now I remember reading this.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to fuzzy_bunnyy)
Post #: 61
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 11/7/2005 8:01:16 PM   
mlees

God work on your posts, sir.

I did not see mentioned any USSR assist options, or any BP's or rescources set aside for lend lease.

There were some AAR's I remember reading about in the ADG WiF annuals that mention some CW forces being sent to Murmansk to free up Soviet units from defensive garrison duty to operate against the Germans on the eastern front. Do you think this strategy should be included in the CW AI?

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 62
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 11/7/2005 9:12:05 PM   
composer99

quote:

I did not see mentioned any USSR assist options, or any BP's or rescources set aside for lend lease.

I think you'd have to mesh the CW basic production plan with its objectives over any given period to determine what sort of aid it should be sending the USSR; I find as the CW that I'm either imperilled by invasion threats or I've got too many needs for units to be able to send much to the Russians, not to mention the difficulties of shipping resources along the Murmansk run. The best thing, if you want to send aid to Russia, is to insist on the US sending you at least as much as you sent to the USSR to keep your economy running along at full steam. If that doesn't happen then you'll be prioritizing as if your own production was no longer maximized.

quote:

There were some AAR's I remember reading about in the ADG WiF annuals that mention some CW forces being sent to Murmansk to free up Soviet units from defensive garrison duty to operate against the Germans on the eastern front. Do you think this strategy should be included in the CW AI?

As for sending troops up to garrison Murmansk - I don't think it's all that great an idea. You have to send an HQ along to do it, which is a tremendous waste of an HQ; the units the USSR will have freed up are usually rubbish anyway; and at the MWiF map scale it is very difficult for the Soviets to keep the rail lines from getting severed but it is equally difficult for the Axis to keep them that way. Plus then you're throwing an HQ and other forces off to some theatre where they're totally out of the way and not presenting a tangible threat to German or Italian interests closer to home. If you're not going to have them on the front lines somewhere then at least keep them in England near AMPHs so you can force the Germans to divert troops away from Russia, which is probably better, given the quality of German forces, than freeing up craptacular 3 combat factor Soviet infantry armies to get ground into dogmeat by Wehrmacht armoured corps.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 63
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 11/7/2005 9:46:21 PM   
mlees

Thanks for the reply's composer99. :) I learn a lot reading here than I do trying to solo the game.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 64
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 11/7/2005 10:19:27 PM   
Froonp

quote:

An additional concern is the type of units selected within each branch of service. For land offensives, HQ's and armor are needed. For land defense, HQ's, militia, territorials, and garrisons are very good, with infantry and AT a close second. Paratroops and marines are excellent for attacking, if their special capabilities are needed. What I am postulating here is that the strategic objectives (defend Great Britain versus invade continental Europe) dictate which types of land units are selected for construction with the build points allocated to land units.

I'd add that unless the CW is in the ropes, building the MAR, PARA, ENG, and newly available HQ is a must do for the CW.
The CW must become highly aggressive very soon, and so should build all the units that make it offensive at first opportunity.
I'd add, I don't remember if I've already said this, that I think that building 2 AMPH, one first cycle in S/O, and one first cylce in N/D 39 is a must do for CW IMHO.
More, as Composer said in his good production post.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 65
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 11/7/2005 11:02:09 PM   
CBoehm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

An additional concern is the type of units selected within each branch of service. For land offensives, HQ's and armor are needed. For land defense, HQ's, militia, territorials, and garrisons are very good, with infantry and AT a close second. Paratroops and marines are excellent for attacking, if their special capabilities are needed. What I am postulating here is that the strategic objectives (defend Great Britain versus invade continental Europe) dictate which types of land units are selected for construction with the build points allocated to land units.

I'd add that unless the CW is in the ropes, building the MAR, PARA, ENG, and newly available HQ is a must do for the CW.
The CW must become highly aggressive very soon, and so should build all the units that make it offensive at first opportunity.
I'd add, I don't remember if I've already said this, that I think that building 2 AMPH, one first cycle in S/O, and one first cylce in N/D 39 is a must do for CW IMHO.
More, as Composer said in his good production post.

In case votes count for anything here...I completely agree!

(Although I still believe that CW must also remember to garrison the pacific and keep in mind that its more important to keep Suez, Malta etc than to take Tripoli or East Afrika in 40 )

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 66
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 11/7/2005 11:38:16 PM   
Froonp

quote:

(Although I still believe that CW must also remember to garrison the pacific and keep in mind that its more important to keep Suez, Malta etc than to take Tripoli or East Afrika in 40 )

My idea about the Pacific as the CW is :
41-43 : Try to keep the objectives, try to avoid loosing production (India, Australia). Don't care if the Japanese land in Australia or India, as long as they ar not in position to conquer them or to rob resources or factories therein. Fight for Singapore by trying to keep the supply open, and by fortifying it if possible. Do the same for Rabaul if possible, and for Batavia.

43-45 : Try to take back what you lost & more if possible. Think of Rabaul especially. But Taihoku is not out of reach, neither are Shanghai Manila & Port Arthur, the CW needs to think wide. Should race (discretly at first to keep receiving aid) with the USA for objectives, and should drop down helping USSR (discretly too) as soon as it menace to come back to violently. Best to conquer Berlin with UK troops !!!! God save the Queen !!!

(in reply to CBoehm)
Post #: 67
RE: AI for MWiF - CW starting move - 12/19/2005 2:18:29 PM   
Davidt

Hi Steve,

As posted by many others i am very impressed by your progress with MWIF and your updating here at the forums. I am eagerly awaiting the release of MWIF.

I have been reading the forums regularly for a while but havnt really had the time to post - also the posts already made reflect the thought i have on wif (.... and more)

I would like to point out one strategy, well more an oppening move, that we in our WIF group find very beneficial for the CW.

The CW should set-up its carrier fleet in the med, even on malta. In the first impulse CW takes a naval - positions the carrier fleet, protected by the heavy dreadnoughts and the french fleet, to portstrike the italian navy - specfically the 2 transports. This can force the italian to declare war immediately. Which is beneficial for the CW as compared to letting the italian "freely" transport uinits to north africa. The downside is that this can cost a cxarrier or 2 - but as the CW you should be willing to trade navy units with italy.

If italy doesnt declare war on the CW it is worth the Us entry loss to take his transports out with a declaration of war and a port strike.

just my 2 cents

Best regards
David

Post #: 68
RE: AI for MWiF - CW starting move - 12/19/2005 7:04:51 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davidt
Hi Steve,

As posted by many others i am very impressed by your progress with MWIF and your updating here at the forums. I am eagerly awaiting the release of MWIF.

I have been reading the forums regularly for a while but havnt really had the time to post - also the posts already made reflect the thought i have on wif (.... and more)

I would like to point out one strategy, well more an oppening move, that we in our WIF group find very beneficial for the CW.

The CW should set-up its carrier fleet in the med, even on malta. In the first impulse CW takes a naval - positions the carrier fleet, protected by the heavy dreadnoughts and the french fleet, to portstrike the italian navy - specfically the 2 transports. This can force the italian to declare war immediately. Which is beneficial for the CW as compared to letting the italian "freely" transport uinits to north africa. The downside is that this can cost a cxarrier or 2 - but as the CW you should be willing to trade navy units with italy.

If italy doesnt declare war on the CW it is worth the Us entry loss to take his transports out with a declaration of war and a port strike.

just my 2 cents

Best regards
David

Thanks for the suggestion. I would like to have as many possibilities as I can in the AIO's bag of tricks.

One way to use your strategy is to simply threaten to perform the port attack by (1) setting up the CW navy in Malta and (2) moving them into the Italian Coast on the first impulse. Actually conducting the port attack can be decided later - perhaps against a probability table, depending on what the Italian player does.

There is a famous story about the Grandmaster chess player Alexhine who smoked cigars. In one of his head-to-head matches the rules of the match said he could not smoke at the table. Alexhine didn't, but he brought a huge cigar with him to every game and messed around with it like he was going to smoke it. Really annoyed his opponent - kept him on edge. When asked about it later Alexhine said (in Russian, I suppose): "The threat is more powerful than the act." A good thing to keep in mind when playing chess - or WIF.

Steve

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 69
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/20/2005 12:50:01 PM   
Neilster

quote:

Shouldn't there be a question mark at the end? If true, it's no wonder they're excellent.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 70
RE: AI for MWiF - CW starting move - 12/20/2005 1:04:34 PM   
Froonp

quote:

"The threat is more powerful than the act." A good thing to keep in mind when playing chess - or WIF.

Indeed it is damn right in WiF.
If you could come up with AI routines that would take care of that and enforce that, you'll have won something.

Post #: 71
RE: AI for MWiF - CW starting move - 12/20/2005 2:05:28 PM   
c92nichj

quote:

For each strategy there should be a counterstrategy so what to do with the axis if this happens?

Some suggestions:
1) With most of teh allied fleet commited in the med, the Kriegsmarine should get active, punish the CW convoy lines, make an attempt to conquer nethlerlands S/O with assistance from the Sea.
2) You have a choice with Italy if you want to declare war or if you want to try to hide your transports in different ports and small targets preferably under some kind of antiair cover.
3) Depending on USE draw an allied declaration of war against Italy may mean US will never get into the war, so you might want to hold of DOW's on Netherlands & Denmark.

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 72
RE: AI for MWiF - CW starting move - 12/20/2005 2:23:07 PM   
Froonp

quote:

2) You have a choice with Italy if you want to declare war or if you want to try to hide your transports in different ports and small targets preferably under some kind of antiair cover.

The Italian can also sail one of its TRS into a Sea Area where the Royal Navy can't harm it.

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 73
RE: AI for MWiF - CW starting move - 12/20/2005 9:22:36 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

The Italian can also sail one of its TRS into a Sea Area where the Royal Navy can't harm it.

Good stuff from everyone.

I like to expand from single instances to more general cases.

Invading Netherlands ---> If the Commonwealth leaves the North Sea undefended, (1) look to invade somewhere along its coastline, (2) look into attacking convoys. Same applies to other naval powers who neglect the defense of invasion coastlines and/or convoys. Of course there are caveats to these. You have to be able to sustain an invasion. It is important to not be suckered-in either.

Vulnerable transports ---> Any vulnerable naval units: (1) separate them so they can't all be attacked at once, (2) put them under AA cover when in port, and (3) sometimes it is safer to be at sea.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 74
RE: AI for MWiF - CW starting move - 12/21/2005 12:27:05 AM   
Froonp

quote:

(3) sometimes it is safer to be at sea.

Reminds me of Pearl Harbor attack.
Some might say that the US CV conveniently went at sea to protect from the raid.

Anyway, this is a valid tactic in WiF FE.
As the US, you have put a fleet in Pearl (8 BB + 2 CV), but each turn, you begin you turn by sailling both CV to some distant horizons where the Japanese can't reach.

Post #: 75
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/21/2005 1:15:42 AM   
composer99

quote:

quote:

quote:

Shouldn't there be a question mark at the end? If true, it's no wonder they're excellent.

Cheers, Neilster

I hadn't noticed that. Amazing what a typo can do for a sentence's meaning.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 76
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/21/2005 11:02:58 AM   
Davidt

quote:

For each strategy there should be a counterstrategy so what to do with the axis if this happens?

Some suggestions:
1) With most of teh allied fleet commited in the med, the Kriegsmarine should get active, punish the CW convoy lines, make an attempt to conquer nethlerlands S/O with assistance from the Sea.
3) Depending on USE draw an allied declaration of war against Italy may mean US will never get into the war, so you might want to hold of DOW's on Netherlands & Denmark.

Hi all thanks for the comments,

I can see i need to be a bit more precise when posting.

The CW starst ( a 39 scenario) with 5 carriers on the european map. On the first turn sail 3 of them preferably with french surface ship cover into the italian sea zone and 2 more into the eastern med also with frenchships. That is have the entire french med navy in action and only use english ships for adjusting I.e. 7 ship stack if this can get you a higher column on the surface combat chart.

The italian player then has the option of declaring war or not declaring war.

If italy doesnt declare war!
Italy will be forced to make a combined move resulting in only 1 naval action and can therefore only get 1 transport out of the way. The italian players wish will probably be to reinforce tobruk, but given the CW carriers in the eastern med this will jeopardize the transport if italy reinforces the tobruk area. The only "safe" place to go is the western med or sail straight to tripoli. Not very attracticve for the italian player who dreams of threatening egypt and suez.
In the following impulse the CW will declare war and portstrike the italian (also in the tobruk area if Italy was recless enough to reinforce here). Leaving the transport at sea in the western med seazone is also VERY dangerous for italy as CW will have fleet reserves using the french fleet primarily for surface defence of the carriers. Given that this is the surprise impulse the italian air wont be able to respond to the portstrikes, therefore it is a bad option to try to hide the transports under some sort of aircover. Even the loss of 1 transport is a serious blow to italian ambiton in the med.

If italy declares war.
Italy will probably try to surprise the fleet and hit your carriers. Given the size of the french fleet with 1 or 2 dreadnoughts its still going to cost him and he needs a fair bit of luck to get more than 1 carrier. Even better he will be trading the italian navy for the french navy. Even if italy only declares war on the CW his fleet still has to do combat with the french fleet if it is in the same sea-zon e box as the CW fleet.

With regards to 1 above this is unfortunately true. Still the british homefleet is big enough to handle the pressure. Mainly because you rely on the french surface fleet in the med. Also the german needs to be careful with his fleet - as the CW also here you would love to swap fleets with the kriegsnmarine. aong as the kriegsmarine is intact you need to disperse your fleet over many seazones. Once engaged - even if the CW takes more losses than the Kriegsmarine - things get easier for the CW.

With regards to 3. Just put all USE start markers in the Ge/IT pool - dont most do that anyway?

We have tried this strategy (2 times - only) but its work out very well for the CW both times. This makes it very hard for italy to reinforce north africa. The italian only has the option of sailig around in the med - while the CW can take the relatively safe route around africa.

Well that was a somewhat of a big post considering i actually only meant to point out that the italian really doesnt have the option of "hiding" his transports because of the surprise impulse

Cheers,

David

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 77
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/21/2005 12:44:29 PM   
Froonp

Port Striking the Italian Navy, preferably with the TRS & CP, is always a good idea.
However, I think that there will be opportunities to do this after the first impulse, and I don't see the need to pay the high US Entry price for that to do this in the first turn. These opportunities may also be coupled with a suprise impulse too, you don't know. Italy do not always declare war immediately to the Western Allies, so there is time in front of the Allies.
I generaly prefer, as a CW player, to try not generate bad US entry rolls (remember that each Chit removed from the US Entry pool is 1 turn more of war without the USA helping you). Anyway, opportunities may happen (I had one in our new game, and declared war on Italy with a Suprise Port Strike), and the CW must seize them, but for me declaring war to Italy right in S/O 39 is a bad idea for the CW.

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 78
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/21/2005 4:25:37 PM   
Davidt

Im not saying you wont be able to do it later. When playing the CW it just seems beneficial to me to get italy ionvolved for as early as possible, and not give italy the time to prepare by moving corps etc. around the map. If the allies declare the war you get the added benefit of using the french fleet as "damage takers" for a longer time. Offcourse if italy declares the war, and only declares on the CW you can always then decide wether or not france wants to declare war on italy. Usually france wont - but you still get to use the french fleet as escorts i.e. sail them in the same seazone box as the cw fleet.

Obviously this is a subjective matter - and as such one of the things that make WIF a great game

/David

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 79
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/21/2005 4:39:38 PM   
Froonp

You're precisely right on the last sentence.
About Italy being involved in the war the sooner the better, I'm not sure I agree, because it also mean it produces "high" the sooner, because Germany lends resources sooner.
But you're right, it's subjective and depends on your experience and you playing partners.

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 80
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/22/2005 1:21:05 AM   
c92nichj

quote:

Lets assume that you put your transports alone in a small harbour, one preferably stacked with the Skoda 75 AA-gun, who is allowed to shoot even when suprised and aborts two factors on average if 2-3 planes attacks.

There is 10% chance of being rain in the med during impulse 4 but let's disregard that.
It is only 51% chance that CV's will find.
To get 6 Suprise points or more is 31% chance, after AA you would probably have between 5-7 factors. and could possible get an 2X result.
This gives 2% chance of sinking both TRS
4% chance of sinking one and bottoming another
2% chance to bottom both
8% chance to damage one and sink one
8% chance to damage one and bottom the other
8% chance of damaging both
and 69% chance of not doing any harm at all.

Those odds I might be willing to take as the Axis if the wallies will take the USE cost, to help me get italy and the lendlease route open.

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 81
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/22/2005 3:38:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: c92nichj

quote:

Lets assume that you put your transports alone in a small harbour, one preferably stacked with the Skoda 75 AA-gun, who is allowed to shoot even when suprised and aborts two factors on average if 2-3 planes attacks.

There is 10% chance of being rain in the med during impulse 4 but let's disregard that.
It is only 51% chance that CV's will find.
To get 6 Suprise points or more is 31% chance, after AA you would probably have between 5-7 factors. and could possible get an 2X result.
This gives 2% chance of sinking both TRS
4% chance of sinking one and bottoming another
2% chance to bottom both
8% chance to damage one and sink one
8% chance to damage one and bottom the other
8% chance of damaging both
and 69% chance of not doing any harm at all.

Those odds I might be willing to take as the Axis if the wallies will take the USE cost, to help me get italy and the lendlease route open.

I followed most of this (without checking any of the calculations), but you lost me on "lend lease route open". ???

Steve

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 82
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/22/2005 9:09:22 AM   
Froonp

LL between Germany & Italy.

c92nichj, did you count in your calculations that Italy gets 0 surprise points on surprise ?
The CW suprise points is then the search dice of the Italian plus the sea box of his planes. This is high and can get some shifts to cancel AA, choose the 3 first targets and augment the colums.

Post #: 83
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/22/2005 10:33:51 AM   
Davidt

quote:

You're precisely right on the last sentence.
About Italy being involved in the war the sooner the better, I'm not sure I agree, because it also mean it produces "high" the sooner, because Germany lends resources sooner.
But you're right, it's subjective and depends on your experience and you playing partners.

Froonp while i wholeheartedly agree with you, that when germany lends resources to italy, this makes it tougher for you as the CW player, given that it will probably be you, on the allied side, facing these ressources. But this is mainly because of the bidding you have done, you crave as many objectives as possible for, in this case, the CW.

Will the AIO have the same reasoning? or will the JCS not rather be concerned with the amount of objectives for ALL the allied nations, rather than the specific amount of objectives for 1 of the allies. Personally i think that this is the correct aproach to the AIO. Mainly becuase people playing the AIO will probably be playing solo (why else involve the AIO) and therefore make the same type of valuation i.e. best for whole side (axis or allies) as compared to best for specific Major Power.

I take it there will not be a bidding process for the AIO - influencing its decisions on how the Major Powers act throughout the game. I hope im wrong could be a superb feature.............

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 84
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/22/2005 10:38:42 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Froonp while i wholeheartedly agree with you, that when germany lends resources to italy, this makes it tougher for you as the CW player, given that it will probably be you, on the allied side, facing these ressources. But this is mainly because of the bidding you have done, you crave as many objectives as possible for, in this case, the CW.

Will the AIO have the same reasoning? or will the JCS not rather be concerned with the amount of objectives for ALL the allied nations, rather than the specific amount of objectives for 1 of the allies. Personally i think that this is the correct aproach to the AIO. Mainly becuase people playing the AIO will probably be playing solo (why else involve the AIO) and therefore make the same type of valuation i.e. best for whole side (axis or allies) as compared to best for specific Major Power.

I take it there will not be a bidding process for the AIO - influencing its decisions on how the Major Powers act throughout the game. I hope im wrong could be a superb feature.............

A unified approach but solved by individual countries negotiating from their own point of view. Each country makes their own decision (tentatively) then their Foreign Liaisons reach a unanimous compromise. This happens thoroughout the game at all the points of interaction between allies.

Steve

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 85
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/22/2005 10:49:17 AM   
Davidt

Excellent - excellent. Will it be possible, in the game setup, to influence this foreign liason unanimous compromise, e.g. by setting a high bid for italy and a comparatively lower for Germany. That is force the AIO to have a favored Major Power.

Only 1 more object on my AIO wishlist
Next thing is youll tell me its a neural network adapting to the human opponents style of play

Cant wait to try this sucker out !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 86
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/22/2005 11:04:31 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Excellent - excellent. Will it be possible, in the game setup, to influence this foreign liason unanimous compromise, e.g. by setting a high bid for italy and a comparatively lower for Germany. That is force the AIO to have a favored Major Power.

Only 1 more object on my AIO wishlist
Next thing is youll tell me its a neural network adapting to the human opponents style of play

Cant wait to try this sucker out !!!!!!!!!!!!

For now I plan on giving the player no control over the AI Opponent. (Oh! Maybe different levels of difficulty.) In particular, no bidding by the AIO. It strikes me as too much about gamesmanship and less about the simulation of the war. Probably some control over an AI Assistant though.

All neural networks are to be provided by the human player.

Steve

(in reply to Davidt)
Post #: 87
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/23/2005 12:42:53 AM   
c92nichj

quote:

LL between Germany & Italy.

c92nichj, did you count in your calculations that Italy gets 0 surprise points on surprise ?
The CW suprise points is then the search dice of the Italian plus the sea box of his planes. This is high and can get some shifts to cancel AA, choose the 3 first targets and augment the colums.

I did calculate with 0 Suprise points for Italy, that's why it is important to be in a minor port as you are less likely to find with the italians.

6 suprise points or more will be generated on a CW roll of 1-3 and a Italian roll between 3-10 or a CW roll between 4-10 and an italian roll of 3, this assumes that the British CV's lie in the 3 box and utilise the CVP's with poor range and good NAV value. You will also only have the two transports in the minor port which makes it a small target, you could potentially split them between two minor ports giving you a smaller risk of losing both transports, but increased risk to lose one.
Shifting down coumns for AA will probably have about the same effect as shifting up columns for damage so i didn't calculate specifically for it, to be 100% sure to sink both Transport you would need to be in the NAV 36-42 column at for that you would need a lot of suprise points.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 88
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 12/23/2005 10:25:47 AM   
Froonp

c92nichj I think you may have your port attack rule wrong, as there is no finding per see in Port Attacks.

Each side rolls dice, and each side gain surprise points equal to its modified sea box number + the enemy roll.
The total surprise is the substraction of the sides's surprise points.
So the Italian side surprise points being 0 for a surprise impulse, the British roll and the Italian sea box (size of the port) is not relevant.
So the British surprise is equal to the Italian search roll plus the British modified sea box. If the British are in section 4 of the sea, they have (5 + 1d10) - (0) surprise points. From 6 to 15.

About the seach rolls, on a non surprise impulse Port Attack from Section 4 on a Major Port, if both sides rolled a 10, there would be (5 + 10) - (5 + 10) surprise point, that is 0 surprise points, that is the port attack would be conducted normaly. I mean that a search roll of 10 does not mean you "do not find" the enemy for a Port Attack. It's only a parameter of the Surprise points calculation.

In other words, Port Attacks are always successful unless the attacked party has 4 surprise points to negate the combat. So basing into a Major Port is always a good thing in regards to this because it requires the enemy fleet to be in the 4 section to only equal your search number.

(in reply to c92nichj)
Post #: 89
RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth - 1/3/2006 1:14:37 PM   
dhatchen

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

quote:

As for sending troops up to garrison Murmansk - I don't think it's all that great an idea. You have to send an HQ along to do it, which is a tremendous waste of an HQ; the units the USSR will have freed up are usually rubbish anyway; and at the MWiF map scale it is very difficult for the Soviets to keep the rail lines from getting severed but it is equally difficult for the Axis to keep them that way. Plus then you're throwing an HQ and other forces off to some theatre where they're totally out of the way and not presenting a tangible threat to German or Italian interests closer to home. If you're not going to have them on the front lines somewhere then at least keep them in England near AMPHs so you can force the Germans to divert troops away from Russia, which is probably better, given the quality of German forces, than freeing up craptacular 3 combat factor Soviet infantry armies to get ground into dogmeat by Wehrmacht armoured corps.

I agree that a CW garrisoned Murmansk isn't as useful as the annuals imply, but it should still be a minor option for the AIO to consider even if for no other reason than to keep MWiF fresh over multiple plays.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: AI for MWiF - Commonwealth Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI