Forget sail, Lets have ironclads?

John Tiller's Battleground Series is a Hall of Fame lineup of games covering the Civil War and Napoleonic Wars. We've compiled these classic games into two new affordable collections, incorporating updated versions of these legendary titles. Incredible historical gameplay and great value!
Hussar

Forget sail, Lets have ironclads?

Post by Hussar »

AOS was quite good but has been done. IMHO ACW riverine combat with ironclads would be lots more fun; Clouds of black smoke, prototype submarines (Hunley), Rams, Tinclads and Cottonclad Sidewheelers would be a hoot, especially with proper sailing ships, schooners, blockade runners and shore batteries. Could the AOS engine be modified for this? Or am I just living a (steam) pipe dream?
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

For God and Parliament.
TAIL GUNNER

RE: Forget sail, Lets have ironclads?

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

Back in the day, Talonsoft had plans to release a game called oddly enough: Age of Ironclads![8D]

But for some reason that I can't remember...the game was scrapped...

If there's any trace of it left, or if Matrix picked up the rights to it with their TS acquisitions.....I don't know...

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Alex777

Post by Alex777 »

AOS may have been "done", but there's lots more that could be added. We need land areas, shore batteries, shallow water & anchoring. We need to be able to assign ships to squadrons (which can be done now in the editor but not in the game) & set waypoints. Some updated graphics would be nice.

There has never been a late 18th / early 19th century naval game with these elements which worked properly. AOS II, Privateer's Bounty and (now) Salvo! are all bug-ridden messes. AOS may not be fancy, but at least it works.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

AOS was one of my favorites as well, but I also wish to see the ACW included on the same engine if possible............

Hussar

Post by Hussar »

Today being "Trafalgar Day", perhaps it would be a good day to announce the AOS/Ironclads follow up?

For God and Parliament.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Hussar

AOS was quite good but has been done. IMHO ACW riverine combat with ironclads would be lots more fun; Clouds of black smoke, prototype submarines (Hunley), Rams, Tinclads and Cottonclad Sidewheelers would be a hoot, especially with proper sailing ships, schooners, blockade runners and shore batteries. Could the AOS engine be modified for this? Or am I just living a (steam) pipe dream?

I don't see why not. You got me thinking of the old Yaquinto Title: "Ironclads" (which I just dug out and looked at).

I would certainly agree that riverine combat adds far more variety than lines of ships slugging it out on the high seas.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

While I'd love to see Ironclads game - there is still mileage left in Sailing ships ... take Battle of Aix Roads 11 Apr 1809 as an example. Lots of booms and fireships and small craft fighting inshore .. as well as ships of the line and frigates in support on both sides .. huge battle .. can't remotely be done in AOS system as is ...

Further "mines" and booms and small craft would be a necessary part of modeling Ironclad battles ... for example Passing of the Forts south of New Orleans 24 Apr 1862 should have booms and fire rafts etc.

So this modelling of minutiae still offers significant room for another shot at AOS and a path forward to IC imho !

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Fidel_Helms

Post by Fidel_Helms »

Funny, I'd had the same though about Talonsoft having said they were going to do an "Age of Ironclads" game. If it was actually developed and Matrix has the rights, I'd certainly like to see it.
Praepositus

Post by Praepositus »

Talonsoft did have an "Age of Ironclads" game in some state of development. I think it was projected to come out by the end of 1997. I never knew why they pulled it.

There was another game no one has mentioned here- does anyone remember Talonsoft's "Age of Oars?" I don't think they ever really started it seriously, but I do remember the name being thrown around. I'm assuming it would have been related to ancient naval warfare. As I've never seen a game based on this, I think it sounds interesting.

Praepositus
I drank what?- Socrates
Commander Klank

Post by Commander Klank »

An ACW based naval game would be great...

I'd buy that one for sure. I'd hope it would have e-mail and online play as well.

Who wouldn't want to command a group of thier favorate ironclads in a battle with another human opponent live online?
Commander Klank

ImageImage
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Guys, do any of you own HPS's Jutland? As I just posted in another thread, I highly recommend you give it a look for a game that adds swarms of individual ships, where formation is key and being able to manage weaponry ranges the decider.

The art is quirky (traditional tear drop text book stuff actually) but the action full-on if you've got the abilities for command in truly large scale, ship-ship naval warfare.
Ranse

Post by Ranse »

[font="Arial"][/font][font="Times New Roman"][/font]
I have Jutland and played it during the seventies. It was a naval miniatures using cardboard pieces. Great Naval Battles V put it in computer form, but much better.
See my post on seperate thread. I did it before I read this thread. It mirrors much of what you said, but my memory is rusty. I said Victory games when I meant Yaquinto Games, and I called Age of Oars, Age of Triemes. But I remember waiting impatiently for their release (I wish I had bought an Age of Ironclads t-shirt; it looked great on that young filly modelling it on the advertisement.).
Temple

Post by Temple »

I had Jutland by Avalon Hill as well. Jutland tatical battles were played on any flat surface with cardboard rulers and turn radius templates. I remember that back in 1968 or 69 a friend and I were playing out a battle in his living room and we ended up with one of the battlelines under a couch!

I also had Iconclads by Yaquinto as well as the expansion. I really would like to see someone produce an ironclads game of that detail for the computer.
Ranse

Post by Ranse »

[font="Times New Roman"][/font]
Very big ditto on that! We need a tactical Civil War era naval combat game, and if I was a professional programmer, I would work on one. I would help with research, mechanics, play-testing--anything I could do to help.
Hussar

Post by Hussar »

If you want to play with miniatures then I can thoroughly recommend "Smoke on the Water" as a set of rules and the ships made by B&B Miniatures are fabulous! "Never mind the torpedos...full steam ahead!"

For God and Parliament.
FastPhil

Post by FastPhil »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

Guys, do any of you own HPS's Jutland? As I just posted in another thread, I highly recommend you give it a look for a game that adds swarms of individual ships, where formation is key and being able to manage weaponry ranges the decider.

The art is quirky (traditional tear drop text book stuff actually) but the action full-on if you've got the abilities for command in truly large scale, ship-ship naval warfare.

Gentlemen:

If any are interested in HPS Jutland, Gualdalcanal, or Tushima take a look at the Naval Campaigns Club at http://www.navalcampaigns.org/ These games are played online in real time. I am the head of the Kaiserliche Marine and we would welcome new recruits. I also on AH Jutland, AOS and AOS II , and the old SSI games Dreadnought . Also have GNB. I also have Iron Clads and Inronclad expansion and WS&IM. I would likke to see AOS done right and ironclads but the game uses really different engines. What was great about Ironclads was the detailed ships ratings and guns rating along with detailed damge routines. If it wasn't for the poorly written rules, I would say it was the best naval warfare boardgame made. Can you picture running past Vicksburg at night in 3D realtime. Or damning the torpedoes. As for HPs Jutland, our club was responsible for compiling the updated ship lists and pictures. You can play anything from Lissa to Coronel-Italian, Russian, French, US, Italian, Greek, Turkish navies and more included. We have a moderated 1905 Ruisso Japanese campaign going on using modified GWAS rules for strategic and HPS Tsushima for actual combat resolution. I own all the Talonsoft games and all the HPS games and I will buy the Matrix updates for them. [&o]
FastPhil

Return to “John Tiller's Battleground Series”