Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!Sign up for the Sovereignty beta!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Russian strategies...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> The War Room >> Russian strategies... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russian strategies... - 10/3/2005 5:57:27 AM   
Grimlen

i really enjoy playing russia and i was wondering if there are any "new" strategies. the old being a art/inf build up and amassing militia.
does a armor build up work very well if G attacks before 43?
any tips or strategies or anything on russia is great.

Thought i'd put something like this up since there has not been one in a little while

"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
"History shows that there are no invincible armies."
"In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance."
-Stalin
Post #: 1
RE: Russian strategies... - 10/3/2005 3:39:48 PM   
comradeleigh

Hi there,

With russia i find that the amount of strategies avalible are far less, which is why when i play them i am very flexible and random with what i do to keep the enemy on his/her toes. Of course amassing inf/art and mil are always a good way to punch back the Germans.

An Armour build up could work before '43, but placing alot of Tanks on your production line before Germany attacks - cuts back the amount you can build and research. Then are you at a disadvantage? No idea lol. :S

As russia, i've always wanted to go and attack japan. But i've never actually been given that chance yet :(

Heres a good question? Has anyone ever attacked through neutral Turkey to open a second eastern front?

(in reply to Grimlen)
Post #: 2
RE: Russian strategies... - 10/3/2005 3:49:26 PM   
aletoledo

all tanks I think was the first popular russian strat. I think the artillery/infantry/militia strat is more recent.

tanks are nice though because they come out w41 and there is a chance they won't get destroyed like infantry will (retreating rather)

a very interesting strat I had used against me was for the russian paradroping to the province just below romania. you can then use the transport to bring over a few extra men and the bomber again. there is a good chance you can then paradrop again into hungry. it doesn't last long, but it throws the german off his game a bit.

(in reply to comradeleigh)
Post #: 3
RE: Russian strategies... - 10/4/2005 10:10:29 AM   
a511

quote:

a very interesting strat I had used against me was for the russian paradroping to the province just below romania.

yeah, i did that b4 as well and its a good strategy to surprise the Ger and force them to deploy Ftr and/ or flak from west europe to prevent further paradroping or strategic bombing. of course, i wish the Ger was careless enough to leave romania empty instead ...

besides, i also use the RUS HB to attack GER transports in Baltic Sea.

AN

(in reply to aletoledo)
Post #: 4
RE: Russian strategies... - 10/4/2005 8:10:55 PM   
mcaryf

I am fairly new to GGWAW so have only played versus the AI so far. I am having my first attempt as the Russians and decided to major on teched up AA as I perceived that this could deal with both the German strengths air and tanks. So far it has worked well and the Germans have been frightened to attack me too much with their aircraft - whether it would have the same effect on a human I am less sure.

Mike

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 5
RE: Russian strategies... - 10/5/2005 5:14:02 AM   
a511

imo, it also helps in facing human players under the assumption that u have enough flaks and the GER play less attention on bomber EV (the area i never tech-up, but others may disagree).

however, i think the biggest threat to RUS is the panzers. eventhough it does matter to tech-up and build more flaks, the top priority for RUS is to tech up their armor and art, esp true if u got an early barbarossa. as RUS will be outnumbered in the armor dept until at least '43, RUS must make tougher armor units that survive. i got a game as GER where i double-team RUS, GER outnumbered RUS armors but RUS armor got EV of 10!!! a real headache to GER until i surround and cut the supply of the 7 RUS monster tanks horde ...

of course the above is only true for a barbarossa b4 '42, im sure RUS can deal with GER with relative ease for late barbarossa and can crush GER if there's no barbarossa at all (unless by that time, London has fallen and the GER rule the sea ... but if thats the case, GER should have already won by AV)

AN

(in reply to mcaryf)
Post #: 6
RE: Russian strategies... - 10/31/2005 1:35:23 AM   
Uncle Josef

When playing as SU against the computer, I first note when Germany is going to attack, and what territory it will take when it does. The territories that Germany takes are pointless for building units in, as they will get destroyed in the German offensive. Thus I use these factories for building research points for my Armour evasion, land and air attack, as well as artillery.

The other factories, in Stalingrad, Moscow, the Urals etc, I use for a mix of Armour and Fighters. Leningrad I use for submarines.

Thus when it comes to Operation Barbarossa I'm usually well equipped to take back the territory I've lost and push the Germans back, and destroy their supply links in the process.

This is only against the computer AI... I've little experience with human opponents.

(in reply to a511)
Post #: 7
RE: Russian strategies... - 10/31/2005 4:52:05 PM   
silodhlehan

I always start with infantry arty maybe a flak, possibly militia and as war looks closer just militia & militia in all forward factories. No point leaving something in the que.

ones win 2 areas of german border. Lenningrad, kiev, bylerorussia, kazan? I think thats them. Then the ones the axis can't touch on turn 1 of Barbarossa I load with armour air.

When they bounce from byleorussia which I think is the one that starts with a factory but no units I think its a success.

If I withdraw 2 factories on turn 1 after freeze, I'm happy.

I can't stop them getting Kiev but with luck if the others hold It should be a good game for you.

Russia doesn't need to research much so can spend less on it with better results.

Who upgrades the russian navy? CAG's?

Infantry, armour, ftr, hvy bomber are the only areas I researched of late.

(in reply to Uncle Josef)
Post #: 8
RE: Russian strategies... - 12/12/2005 9:42:20 AM   
Flatline

I prefer the inf/art combo with lots of tech in art. I almost never build militia as the russians. You get a ton when germany invades and those points are better used as tech or improved units.

I will often build 2x tactical bmrs to try to take out german artillery. The german player generally has most of their airforce tied up vs. england so you can often get some great hits with them.

I never do tech for russian air units. They are expensive and take a lot of research to improve.

Also I generally dont build fighters and instead rely on improved AA to stop air attacks.

I will try and get russia up to 6 tanks and I keep them together for the winter push.

(in reply to silodhlehan)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> The War Room >> Russian strategies... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI