I of the Enemy: Strategy Guide

I of the Enemy is a unique real-time strategy game that focuses on a strong campaign story and tactical fighting as opposed to seeing who can collect resources the fastest.

Moderator: mtemple

mtemple

I of the Enemy: Strategy Guide

Post by mtemple »

In this thread, I will be posting hints for each mission in IOE. I'll get to each of them as quickly as I can, so bear with me as I struggle to stay up with you players.

Each post will be for a separate mission so you can go directly to the one you are having problems with. Do not read any of these if you don't need to, as I will be giving away the secret to winning for each. I will try to structure each post such that only slight hints are given at the beginning until, as you read further, I finally tell you how to win.
Mark Temple
Enemy Technology
"We have found the enemy, and he is us!"
mtemple

Mission #1: First Command

Post by mtemple »

This one should just get your feet wet. You need to move at least one unit to the destination square to win. As soon as you make contact with an enemy unit, expect the enemy artillery to start raining down on you. You will need to keep moving and not just sit there firing or else the artillery will fix on you. As you move, consider that it takes awhile for the artillery to re-target so once you see it hitting in one place, you have a few seconds to plaster the enemy before the artillery will fix on your new position. And once the enemy can no longer see you (enemy destroyed), the artillery will no longer be able to fix on you and will stop until another enemy unit can see you.

When you reach the destination square (the one with the marker), simply move one of your units there and you will be declared the winner shortly. Feel free to destroy that nasty enemy artillery piece while you wait!
Mark Temple
Enemy Technology
mtemple

Mission #2: Fire Base Turis

Post by mtemple »

The first order of business is to use your Sapper unit to build a building (Temporal Hole) so that you can bring needed reinforcements into the game. Though it is possible to build right where you start, it is NOT a good location because there is no room for the arriving units to get around the building to engage the enemy. Move north until you find some open ground and build there.

Next, you should position your units to defend the area until your building is complete. At the start, you barely have enough units to mount an effective defense, so use Verkkal as your point man since he can take (and dish out) the most damage. Use terrain to your advantage and try to find a narrow gap to position your men such that you can concentrate your fire on one enemy, and can also make it difficult for too many enemy units to position themselves to fire on you.

When the Hole is complete, bring in units as rapidly as possible to bolster your defense, and then gradually consider going on the offense once you are strong enough. You will need to locate and destroy the enemy building in the lower-right part of the map to stem the flow of enemy reinforcements. Since this is the goal of the mission, you will also need to destroy the enemy engineer so that he cannot build another building. Once the engineer and building are destroyed, you will be declared the winner.
Mark Temple
Enemy Technology
mtemple

Mission #3: Counter Attack

Post by mtemple »

Since there is a bunch of shooting going on to start this one, the first order of business is to crush the attackers as quickly as possible since they are spotting for artillery that is probably placing a fair number of craters in your building. Be sure you move at least one sapper into position to destroy the enemy flyer.

But do not despair if you lose the building. You can easily rebuild it once the artillery shells stop falling, and it should only be a minor inconvenience.

Next, move a few units quickly to the north to intercept any new attackers and prevent them from getting within spotting range of your building. You need to bring new units onto the board quickly in order to go swiftly onto the offense. You will need to keep your guys moving as you advance on the enemy base to the north to prevent them from being chewed up by the artillery. If you find this annoying, consider dispatching the flyers to the north (possibly along with a couple of ground units loaded on the transport) on a search and destroy mission for that enemy artillery piece. You will have to manage this carefully though as the enemy engineers will wipe out your flyers if your can't keep them out of range.

Otherwise, just keep the flyers over the trees to minimize their visibility to ground attack (use the "Hold" command to keep them from wandering into trouble), and just keep advancing as rapidly as possible. Once in the enemy's back yard, use ground units to suppress the engineers so your fighters can nail the artillery piece. You can then bust the paneling off of his building at your leisure.

Remember, you must destroy the building and all engineers to prevent him from rebuilding his base, and to fulfill the victory conditions.
Mark Temple
Enemy Technology

Return to “I of the Enemy”