When?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

hbrsvl

When?

Post by hbrsvl »

Hi-Is there any info as to when WIF will be available to general public? Also, will it be a download or in a box, or both? Thanks, Hugh Browne
hbrsvl
werwolf

RE: When?

Post by werwolf »

I am waiting since 1999 r may be more. Since now I have seen only the Beta version. Personally I do not think Matrix Games want to develop anything about........
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: werwolf

I am waiting since 1999 r may be more. Since now I have seen only the Beta version. Personally I do not think Matrix Games want to develop anything about........
One could think the contrary since the last weeks were quite busy with Steve taking the project.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Froonp
One could think the contrary since the last weeks were quite busy with Steve taking the project.

Froonp, thanks for the vote of confidence. First let me say, I have been waiting since 1996 and I am very happy to now be able to do something to make it happen. I work on this 50 to 60 hours a week. My current phrase about the project is "I continue to push onward, trying to shove this very large elephant down a path that it has refused to travel for over a decade.”

I give David Heath at Matrix Games weekly status reports on things accomplished for the past week and things planned for the next week. As I promised before, I will post monthly summaries of those status reports in the forum. Since this thread has been started, I guess this is as good a place as any. My first report to the forum will be at the end of this week (the end of July). But to answer the question directly, we have MWIF scheduled for release as a download in the spring of 2006.

There are some who say that degree of optimism just proves I am out of my mind. Actually, I am shooting for early spring 2006, but even I concede that depends on a whole lot of things not going wrong. If the date does drift, I will let you know here. In any event, I will be keeping you informed as to progress every month right up to the game's availability.

The more people are involved in these forums, letting me know their opinions and ideas, the better the final product will be. It will also help me finish MWIF faster by preventing me from going down blind alleys and wasting my time dong things wrong and later having to correct them. I thank you all for your support.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
...we have MWIF scheduled for release as a download in the spring of 2006.

Northern hemispere spring?

Either way (singing) "Springtime for Hitler in Germany..."

/Greyshaft
Shannon V. OKeets

Ooo, I just got a 6 month extension if I go with the Southern hemisphere. I guess that means if things look desperate in Januray, I could always move to New Zealand.[:D]
Steve

c92nichj

Post by c92nichj »

ORIGINAL: Froonp
But to answer the question directly, we have MWIF scheduled for release as a download in the spring of 2006.

It's great to hear that your plan to release the game is as early as in the spring, working as a projectmanager in the IT-industry I am always a bit cautious about estimates done by the developer, however I am very optimistic about this game and I sincerely hope that the project will complete on time.
I enjoy being part of this forum and I rellay like that you involve the user community in the design of the game. Me and others will do what we can to assist and help you with the project.

Keep up the good work!

- Nicklas

Shannon V. OKeets

Here is my first monthly report to the forum community on MWIF.

-----------------------------------------
August 1, 2005 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of June & July

Project Management
Signed a contract with Matrix Games. Received and read through the Matrix Games’ Developer’s Kit. Created a project plan (task list with interdependencies and schedule) for MWIF.

Communications

Established a good working relationship with Rob Crandall. Established an excellent working relationship with Chris Marinacci. He and I exchange emails daily. Established a good working relationship with Rob Armstrong of Bull’s-eye Graphics who will be doing the graphics for the game: map, units, interface, animations, etcetera.

Introduced myself to the MWIF forum members. Started forum threads on the map, units, team play (choosing sides), play balance in China, and hardware players will be using. Started 5 threads on PBEM. Monitored all the threads daily, answering questions from forum members. Established a working relationship with several forum members for future MWIF play testing.

Posted a notice on the Yahoo WiF Discussion group announcing the threads in the Matrix Games’ World in Flames forum

Background on MWIF
Received a dozen or so emails from Rob C. which included all his notes and the software for MWIF work-in-progress. Printed out, read through, and extracted important comments from all the emails concerning MWiF in the Matrix Games’ forum prior to starting any threads of my own.

Rules
Downloaded the most recent version of the rules (RAW 7) which includes the current combat results tables. Found copies of the WIF scenarios on the Internet and downloaded them so I can compare what CWIF uses to what WIF Final Edition says. This will also let me add the 8 missing scenarios. Created a single table that covers all the optional rules, where they are referenced in RAW 7, their status in CWIF, and their current status in MWIF. I still have some questions about whether some of the optional rules will or will not be included in MWIF version 1.

Software Development Tools
Ordered and installed Delphi 2005 Professional Upgrade from Borland. Purchased books on Delphi to supplement documentation Borland provides. Converted CWIF from Delphi 7.0 to Delphi 2005 and generated a clean compile and execution (8 days of agony).

Downloaded DirectX version 9.0c from Microsoft and printed out the relevant parts of the documentation. Investigated using DirectX (version 9.c) as the software base for displaying the map and units but decided against it for various technical reasons. The primary reason was I want MWIF to run as a Windows application that can simultaneously coexist alongside other Windows applications. DirectX has that capability but it requires a lot of coding to make it work well. This means MWIF will be written as a Windows32 MDI application which will run on all Windows operating systems from Windows 98 on up to the present.

Decided on using TCP/IP as the communications protocol for the Internet, LAN, and client-server communications between players in both 2 player and multi-player games. Purchased and read an up-to-date book on TCP/IP. Read up on using WinSock (Borland’s implementation of Microsoft’s routines for TCP/IP) with Delphi. Purchased and read documentation on Indy10 (the independent software package that makes developing client-server applications easy) and decided on using it for both Internet play and PBEM.

Purchased a book on assembler for Intel 80X86 processors (I think I threw out my old copy the last time I moved).

Purchased ThemeEngine 5.5.1 for developing a ‘skin’ for the Windows interface comparable to what Rob C. used in Flashpoint Germany.

CWIF Conversion
Separated the Editor (for map and units) source code from the game source code. Began the long process of reading through and commenting the CWIF code (less than 2% of what I started with was commented). Understood how CWIF stored the map and units and rendered them on the screen. This includes all the routines to zoom in and out on the map. Coded a routine to write the terrain and unit data out to comma separated values (CSV) files. Understood how CWIF saved the game and began designing a replacement that is more in keeping with my own standard programming practices. Understood how CWIF set up Internet play using DirectPlay. I should have little trouble replacing that code with calls to Indy10.

Found a way to speed up the execution of calculating valid hexes when rebasing planes. This solution should also speed up determining unit supply and transferring resources over rail lines and sea routes to factories.

Map and Units
Decided to go with a unified map. The map visuals will be dramatically changed from CWIF and I am working with Rob Armstrong on the details. Decided to use the unit renderings as they appear in WIF Final Edition. We decided that MWIF would be designed for 16 bit color (not 8 bit/256 colors) and 1024 by 768 resolution with 96 pixels per inch. It will support other resolutions and look even better at higher resolutions but may be unsatisfactory at 800 by 600. Separated the discussion on the unified map problem of Play Balance in China to its own thread.

Multiplayer Design
Developed the conceptual design for team play with multiple players on both sides and posted it on the MWIF forum for review and comment. Closed out the discussion on the design of team play over the Internet in the forum after it had been inactive for 2 weeks. This part of the MWIF design is complete.

Saved Games
Started designing the structure for saved games. This has to include who the players are, their passwords, and which countries they are playing, as well as the dynamic data on game status (turn, phase, international relations, and units). To prevent cheating by the players when the Fog of War option is being used, I will encrypt all this data.

Play by Email (PBEM) Design
Learned how to code the PBEM system by reading the Indy10 documentation. There are two protocols used: SMTP (System Mail Transfer Protocol) and Pop3 (Post Office Protocol, version 3). With the help of the forum members, made good progress on identifying the problems and feasible solutions for PBEM. Wrote the first complete draft for the PBEM system.

Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Captured on paper my current thoughts on programming the AI which I update weekly. Began recruitment of interested parties to critique and otherwise participate in the design of the AI.

International Versions of MWIF
Learned from Chris that Borland has a very convenient way of translating all text in a program from one language to another. Essentially all the English words go into a DLL which can be replaced with other DLLs for different languages. The program simply asks the user which language (i.e., DLL) they want to use. Of course someone has to do all the translations to create the alternative DLLs, but at least the programming effort is virtually nil.

Other
Tied by best round of golf ever (1 over par 5 years ago) twice in back to back rounds.
==============================================
June & July summary: All in all, not a bad start.

Tasks for August

Project Management
Revise the project plan based on new information and progress to date. This will happen every month.

Communications
Continue monitoring the forum threads. Start new threads in the forum on: interface design, animations, sound, and historical detail.

Rules
Finalize which optional rules will be included in MWIF version 1.

Learn how to use ThemeEngine to develop the interface ‘skin’.

CWIF Conversion
Continue documenting code. Replace the random number generator.

Map and Units
Develop mock ups of the map and units with Rob A.. Hopefully go through several iterations of same. Validate the unit manifests.

Multiplayer Design
Code the new design for the multiplayer system using Indy10, removing the calls to DirectPlay.

Saved Games
Finish the design for saved games (including encryption) and code it.

PBEM
Revise the draft PBEM design. Begin putting more flesh on the bare bones of the current Standing Orders.

AI
Get several other people (AI types) involved in the design of the AI. Firm up the structure for the design, if not all the details, and write specific rules for a couple of situations to see how it will work.

Other
Keep my marriage intact.
============================================
August summary: Ambitious, but not hopelessly optimistic.
Steve

jinks

Post by jinks »

Oh man its nice to see somthing going on at last...THANKS!

I have been waiting for this game since 1995-96....man 10 years...sheees. ADG made some realy nice boardgames and WIF is still the game that was the best, rules, maps and the units all came together pefectly I realy loved it alot. I have to say I gave up on it ever coming out as computer game, but now that Matrix games got its hands in play my confidence that it at long last will be born into the world is restored to full. [&o]

Shannon V. OKeets

I am aggressively asking for comments on and ideas about the design of MWIF. If you would like to add your 2 cents worth as to how the game should look and play, pick one of the threads I have started and tell me what you think.
Steve

macgregor

Post by macgregor »

I'm impressed Steve. I know you want this game as bad as I do (certainly now alot more) and I can see you still need another milestone or two before you can predict a release. This 'spring' talk is more a goal than a prediction, right? Of course as always I'd rather not see this thing snagged on a particular game asset, though it appears you're making progress on all fronts(what else is new). BTW,you haven't been playing golf that long, have you?
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: macgregor
BTW,you haven't been playing golf that long, have you?
I played golf as a teenager every so often and then stopped playing for 30 years (no money, no time, bad weather). When I moved to Hawaii 8 years ago, I started playing again and have gradually gone from playing once a week to playing 3 times a week. I walk and carry the bag because it is the only exercise I get. Working at a computer just doesn't seem to burn very many calories - just brain cells.
Steve

AaronTPV

Post by AaronTPV »

I'm glad to see WiF getting some attention again as well. This is an amazing game and it'll make a helluva Pc game.

-Aaron
Shannon V. OKeets

Here is my monthly status report to the forum.

===============================
September 1, 2005 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of August

Communications
I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily. I started forum threads on the Game Interface, PBEM Standing Orders, AI for MWIF, animations, sound, and historical detail, .

I established a working relationship with Harry Rowland.

Rules
I received an (almost) full set of WIF add-ons. Using this, David Heath and I were able to define exactly what would be in MWIF Product 1. This let me finalize the optional rules for MWIF Product 1. If MWIF Product 1 sells well, there will be a MWIF Product 2.

I practiced working with ThemeEngine 5.5.1 for developing a ‘skin’ for the Windows interface comparable to what Rob Crandall used in Flashpoint Germany. I am now waiting on Rob Armstrong’s design for the MWIF skins. Rob A. did them for Flashpoint Germany.

CWIF Conversion
I successfully wrote out the map and unit data from CSV files. Once I get the routines debugged that read them back in, I will have eliminated any need for the old CWIF data files: WIF.dat and Units.dat. I finished neatening 134 of the 141 Pascal files (60,000+ lines of code) in the main call sequence of CWIF. 7 to go! This makes the code much easier to read and understand.

Map and Units
There was an error in my report last month: MWIF will use 24 bit color. Work with Rob Armstrong on the graphics was slow to get started.

Patrice reviewed all the MWIF unit data against WIF Final Edition and provided me with lists of corrections for the air, land, and naval units. I validated the CSV files by loading them into databases and writing reports that linked them into a coherent whole.

The Play Balance in China issue received some enlightenment from Harry Rowland. That issue is settled except for: (1) writing up the text for the unlimited divisional breakdown and (2) where and how many cities will be added to China. Play testing might cause this issue to be revisited.

I compared the CWIF European map to the WIF Final Edition European map hex by hex and sent a list of differences to Harry Rowland. He passed them along to Michael Fisher for final review. Michael is validating the rest of the CWIF world map and is going to make suggestions for the new cities in China.

Game Interface
Patrice took screen shots of all the windows/forms in CWIF (roughly 100) and put them in a PDF file. I reviewed a printout of that PDF file and marked it up where the windows/forms need changes/improvements.

Game Play Record Log
I finished the design specifications for 180 types of entries for the game record log. There will be about 240 of these when they are done. They are the basic communication blocks for saving games, internet play, and PBEM.

Saved Games
I continued designing the structure for saved games.

Play by Email (PBEM) Design
I finalized the design for the PBEM system, except for Standing Order (SO) details. I defined the 24 SO locations and finished the interface specifications for 21 of 24.

Artificial Intelligence (AI)
I recruited 7 people to critique and otherwise participate in the design of the AI.

Other
I am down 27 pounds from February. I still have 23 more to lose. Sigh.
August summary: I accomplished about 70% of what I had hoped.

Tasks for September

Project Management
Revise the project plan based on new information and progress to date.

Communications
Continue monitoring the forum threads. Start new threads in the forum on the help system and the tutorials.

Rules
Modify the code on optional rules so it includes those, and only those, selected for MWIF Product 1.

Map and Units
Develop mock ups of the map and units with Rob A.. Hopefully go through several iterations of same.

CWIF Conversion
Finish debugging the routines that read in the map and unit data from CSV files. Replace the random number generator.

Game Interface
Begin developing replacements for the 100+ windows/forms.

Develop a small program for Internet communications using Indy10 to test the design for multiple players over the Internet.

Multiplayer Design
Code the new design for the multiplayer system using Indy10, removing the calls to DirectPlay.

Saved Games
Finish the design for saved games (including encryption) and code it.

PBEM
Finish Standing Orders for the PBEM system.

AI
Firm up the structure for the AI Assistant and AI Opponent design, including all the details. Write specific rules for 6 game situations to see how the design will work.
September summary: Definitely ambitious. Too optimistic?
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

Communications

I established a working relationship with Harry Rowland.
Best new of the week regarding MWiF, at least from my point of view [:D] [:D]
Other

it seems quite good !!!
Best Regards

Patrice
Greyshaft

MWiF2 ???

Post by Greyshaft »

If MWIF Product 1 sells well, there will be a MWIF Product 2.

<Whoa there Neddy! Let's poke in here for a while and see what answers we get>

MWiF2?
* Days of Decision?
* Fatal Alliances?
* Firefighters in Flames?

poke... poke...[:D]
/Greyshaft
Manack

Post by Manack »

I knew developing MWif would be a draining experience but who would have thought it would take that much out of someone. [:D]
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: MWiF2 ???

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft
If MWIF Product 1 sells well, there will be a MWIF Product 2.

<Whoa there Neddy! Let's poke in here for a while and see what answers we get>

MWiF2?
* Days of Decision?
* Fatal Alliances?
* Firefighters in Flames?

poke... poke...[:D]

The most promising follow on is Programmer in Flames.
Steve

Larry Smith

Post by Larry Smith »

It has been mentioned before, but I'm sure the thread is well buried by now. The resource path sub-routine in CWiF tends to break down, sending resources all the way around the world, rather than taking a better path. This problem occurs with the convoy lines. We need the option for complete human override with convoys paths, so that if the AI starts to act funny, we can correct it manually.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Larry Smith

It has been mentioned before, but I'm sure the thread is well buried by now. The resource path sub-routine in CWiF tends to break down, sending resources all the way around the world, rather than taking a better path. This problem occurs with the convoy lines. We need the option for complete human override with convoys paths, so that if the AI starts to act funny, we can correct it manually.

Its on my list of things to fix. Both correcting the automated procedure and providing a manual override.

Steve

Return to “World in Flames”