How old are you?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Franky513

How old are you?

Post by Franky513 »

Hello,

Most of the gamers are very young nowadays. Well, I am very interested how old is the regular WAW player. Because of the fact that WAW is a turn based game without frills, I think that most of us are "older".

Unfortunately, I can't start a regular poll. Thus, I only start a normal thread instead. Perhaps one of the moderators is so nice and turns this thread into a real poll.

Well, I am 32 years old. I started with computers in 1985, using a C64 and playing "Storm across Europe" and "Colonial Conquest". Anyone remembers these games?? [:)]

Ciao Frank

Scott_WAR

RE: Poll: How old are you?

Post by Scott_WAR »

35. First one I remember playing was battle for midway on the C-64.
Vorticonthe1st

Post by Vorticonthe1st »

56, yesterday. First war game I ever picked up was Avalon Hill's ''1914''. Daunting to say the least. But I did complete 1 game. That was about 1971 and have been hooked ever since. Prior to then, it was all Strat O Matic baseball, but I thought I needed a change of pace. It's so great to have computer war games now, especially these ''good'' ones that come along.
MrQuiet

Post by MrQuiet »

jchastain

Post by jchastain »

D - 39, and another old Avalon Hill fan.
magic8796

Post by magic8796 »

42 - Add me to the Avalon Hill and Strat-O-Matic crowd. I started with AH's D-Day and Midway back in the '70s. Also France '40, Afirka Korps, Panzerblitz, Russian Campaign and of course, 3rd Reich. GGWAW is the closest to 3R that I've seen for the PC. Early computer favorites were Midway and Sink the Bismark for the Apple IIc.
Magic
Franky513

Post by Franky513 »

Thanks Joel for making this thread a real poll. [:)]

Ciao Frank
Big Lou

RE: How old are you?

Post by Big Lou »

35 here.

Colonial Conquest - now there is a blast to the past. I can remember playing that hotseat with about 4 other buddies back in high school. That was a great game.
Big Lou
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

I'm 38. My first computer game was Ultima 6 and my first war game was an outstanding title IMO called Age of Rifles. Man, I miss that game. Makes me wish I still had my DOS 486 [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

54. It was the spring of 66 at Gulfgate shopping center in Houston Tx. Browsing a hobby shop, there was AH's DDAY, and the rest is history. Damn that 7-4 2nd Panzer Division counter was hard to kill.
magic8796

Post by magic8796 »

Ahhh...the 7-4 2nd Panzer Division. That brings back memories. One tough unit!
Magic
a511

Post by a511 »

32 here. wow, never imagined that im the (or at least one of) "youngest" player(s) ... esp. im playing BF2 and keep getting slaughtered by the kids [:(]

but i think only ppl of our age (>30) have such WWII knowledge to know what they are doing and really enjoy the amt of thinking in this game.

my first war game was koei's "romance of the three kingdoms 1" in late 80's (?) (back to my high school days ...)

AN
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Greetings,

I'm 46.

I stumbled across Panzerblitz in 73 or 74. Wasn't until I was in college, though, that I could find anyone to play it with!

Had a few unmemorable games for the C64 in the early 80's, but couldn't really find any real computer war games (as would be recognize today) until the mid/late 80's. Eventually played a submarine game called Red Strom Rising on an Amiga computer. Also had some sort of a tactical East Front game for it, too.

A friend of mine did set up all the dice rolls for Yaquinto's "88" on an Atari in 1982. Anyone remember Yaquinto and all their tables and dice rolling? Something like three dice rolls on three diferent tables just to see if you even hit something, much less did any damage-that was several other rolls. Ah, computers. How "simple" they've made things (LOL!).

I do remeber there was also some sort of "Squad Leader" type game in the early mid 80's that was pretty good. Sorry, can't remember the title. Maybe someone else does. All I remember was that most of the causlties were from shock (one of your squad would get hit and go into x% of shock).

I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle »

Just turned 47. I am shocked there were no votes for under 35!. Is this because there are not many, or is it they don't bother with this forum?
When your through learning, your through.
Franky513

Post by Franky513 »

ORIGINAL: Gargoyle
Just turned 47. I am shocked there were no votes for under 35!. Is this because there are not many, or is it they don't bother with this forum?

You mean under 25? I think that most young kids, especially those <20 years think that WAW is boring due to the fact that there is no "action". These kids prefer Battlefield 2 or C&C Generals.

By the way: my wife is 25 years old and she says that WAW is very boring. I could not persuade her to play this game with me. I tried everything, no chance. Instead, I had to play Counterstrike with her.[:(]

Ciao Frank
vonguggy

Post by vonguggy »

Hi guys,

I'am 36... quite young [:)]

Started computer wargames with Apple IIe : War in Russia, designed by... guess who ?
Gary Grigsby's himself ! [;)]
Anyone remember this game ?

Btw, my girlfriend plays Heroes of Might of Magic... I guess it is because of the "dressing thing" with fashion clothes and shoes (armor and boots) and cute jewels (magical rings) [:D]

Franky513

Post by Franky513 »

ORIGINAL: guggy
Btw, my girlfriend plays Heroes of Might of Magic... I guess it is because of the "dressing thing" with fashion clothes and shoes (armor and boots) and cute jewels (magical rings) [:D]

LOL! [:D]
sajbalk

Post by sajbalk »

34 and happy. First game was the old Third Reich. Then Axis and Allies with friends in the '80's. Then off to college where I discoverd my favorite game World in Flames. I prefer the turn-based games. My reflexes were never good.

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA
Doobious

Post by Doobious »

36, and an old school gamer.

Started way back with:
Risk, Squad Leader, Fortress America, Axis & Allies,and Dungeons & Dragons

Then stuff like:
Civilization.. 1, 2, 3, and about a billion miscellanous PC titles...

World At War for now... and loving it. Excellent game here.

Where is that smoke coming from?
U2

Post by U2 »

ORIGINAL: Frank Klein

Hello,

Most of the gamers are very young nowadays. Well, I am very interested how old is the regular WAW player. Because of the fact that WAW is a turn based game without frills, I think that most of us are "older".

Unfortunately, I can't start a regular poll. Thus, I only start a normal thread instead. Perhaps one of the moderators is so nice and turns this thread into a real poll.

Well, I am 32 years old. I started with computers in 1985, using a C64 and playing "Storm across Europe" and "Colonial Conquest". Anyone remembers these games?? [:)]

Ciao Frank

I played Storm Across Europe to death! I loved that little game. I poured so many hours into it and played it over and over. I've had this game sicne it's release and I just can't get a good feeling for it. Hardly touched it. I have high hopes for the ACW title though.

Oh BTW I am 27 and I started wargaming when I was about 10. Gary's Kampfgruppe was the first title....

Return to “General Discussion”