scen3 a few good choppers

Matrix Games and Simulations Canada combine and completely remake two classic NATO vs. Warsaw Pact wargames into a new classic. Based on the original wargames “Main Battle Tank: North Germany” and “Main Battle Tank: Central Germany”, Flashpoint Germany is a new grand tactical wargame of modern combat. Every aspect of modern grand tactical warfare is included, from advanced armor, air and helicopters to chemical and tactical nuclear weapons. Step into the most dangerous war.. . that never was.

Moderators: IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

nukkxx5058

scen3 a few good choppers

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Hi,

i tried to play this scenario with WP.

But, there was one (major) problem.
I didn't find any enemy (NATO) troops on the map.(????)

I received a helicopter after 2 or 3 turns and I sent it as a recon over the mapbut nobody's here. So i just went to the map square where VP areand nothing ... should I wait longer or what ? what's that ? lol
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
CapnDarwin

RE: scen3 a few good choppers

Post by CapnDarwin »

nukkxx,

It is a scenario designed to be played from the NATO side if I recall. If you are playing from WP side you could be waiting a long time since NATO helo's are slow to move. The AI takes a fare amount of time to move and fight with Helo's. They could be on the map edge for a while before they go hunting.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Catgh_MatrixForum

Post by Catgh_MatrixForum »

Cap got it right there. This was designed as a NATO Player vs PACT AI. I would not recommend playing it any other way including PBEM.

nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ok. So I tried playing NATO. And I had very strange results.

decicive NATO victory
46/99
54/19

Sector 2:
25/150/150 (NATO)
4/0/150 (WP)

But ... and many WP troops staid stuck around 40,18 including attack helicopters not used at all, some tanks and arty never fired (at least I think) despite my helicopers where very often sighted.

Also, some WP tanks invaded the city in sector 2 and never the victory bar turned red ... (it remained between 96 and 98% all along the game). Note also I had nearly no losses despite constant fighting.

This result is very weird ...
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Poliorcetes

Post by Poliorcetes »

Recall that WP artillery is terrible at "reaction" shots. Even with Dedicated status you usually have a 10 minute or greater delay when Nato is sighted, which with Helo's is useless if they keep moving. The AI usually seems to keep artillery on Counterbattery, which in this scenario is probably correct given the devastating nature of MLRS.

Also recall that the longest "range" of WP tanks is only 2000 m at best, so often WP sees things they can never actually shoot at. And to top it off Helos are very hard to hit unless you have AA ratings (which have a short range). So Nato Helo's can seem indestructible if they are more than 4 squares away from WP forces. At 2 squares Helo's seem very fragile, given WP's large amount of AA capability.

Poliorcetes
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Ok, thanks for analysis. However, I still don't understand why some WP tanks (and WP attack hellicopters) were not used at all by AI. In paticular, given the hard time my hellicos were giving to Soviets. They definitely should have use all available troops. No?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The AI will generally be reserved in using its attack helo's unless it has a good ground target to go after. If all you really have is helo's you won't see the WP helo come after you. As for the tanks, they aren't going to rush the helo's either. Air defense units may be another thing (they are on the list of things to tweak down the road). I'll have to play through the scenario tonight to see what all is taking place.

Thanks for the input.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “FlashPoint Germany”