Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Getting Ready for another CHS Release

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Getting Ready for another CHS Release Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/28/2005 5:40:44 PM   
Don Bowen

We are getting ready for another update to CHS. We need to fix the Russian Activation problem and have a small list of changes:

1. Additional Iowa upgrade
2. Reduced armour on US light cruisers and Alaska Class
3. Corrected initial targets for many units.
4. Minor corrections to some base and base force values.
5. Some name corrections and minor type-o fixes.

And, at the risk of starting another round of arguments - the Oi/Kitakami radar and Japanese pilot pool issues have not been addressed.

Last chance to get in your suggestions, requests, and bribes.

Don
Post #: 1
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/28/2005 6:29:18 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

"Last chance to get in your suggestions, requests, and bribes."

Don

***How much?***

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 2
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/28/2005 7:03:42 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

Don

***How much?***

A moderate amount - more than a Congressman but less than a Senator. I will also work for Pizza.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/28/2005 7:17:08 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

Don

***How much?***

A moderate amount - more than a Congressman but less than a Senator. I will also work for Pizza.

(They did away with the "smiley" for PIZZA!)

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 4
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/29/2005 11:13:37 AM   
DrewBlack

hI

Will this effect any PBEM games ongoin???

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/29/2005 2:13:08 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrewBlack

hI

No, it won't.

Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

(in reply to DrewBlack)
Post #: 6
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/29/2005 2:42:08 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrewBlack

hI

Not having the pizza smiley will affect everything.

Don't ask me any questions, apparently I know nothing about WitP:AE

(in reply to DrewBlack)
Post #: 7
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/29/2005 6:33:45 PM   
m10bob

"Not having the pizza smiley will affect everything."

...............NUTS!...Not having PIZZA affects evrything!!!!!....

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 8
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/29/2005 10:38:31 PM   
Tanaka

pry
Matrix Legion of Merit

quote:

ORIGINAL: stonefoot

Small Database issue in Scen 31, Are not the Colorado's forward guns supposed to be marked as forward??? Do these now work as 360 guns?? Or just don't work at all??

dont work at all will fix, good catch.. same problem also exists in the official 15 and 16 scenarios... Error will correct itself after the class upgrades in 4/42

did u guys fix this in your chs scenario. looks like an oob error in pry's and the official scenarios...

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 9
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/29/2005 10:41:09 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

We are getting ready for another update to CHS. We need to fix the Russian Activation problem and have a small list of changes:

1. Additional Iowa upgrade
2. Reduced armour on US light cruisers and Alaska Class
3. Corrected initial targets for many units.
4. Minor corrections to some base and base force values.
5. Some name corrections and minor type-o fixes.

And, at the risk of starting another round of arguments - the Oi/Kitakami radar and Japanese pilot pool issues have not been addressed.

Last chance to get in your suggestions, requests, and bribes.

Don

will this be posted at andrew's website or spooky's or both??? i hope both because sometimes one or the other is not around to post updates....

good to have lots of help around

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 10
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/31/2005 12:06:55 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlaskanWarrior

Congratulations everyone who worked on this... I just recently downloaded and installed the CHS and the overall impression was very positive.

I love the map.. great to see Anchorage in its correct locationamd okat base stats, however i would make the Port of Anchorage airfield potential a 9. There were at least one main field (Elmendorf), and several auxillary fighter fields (one being located at Cambell creek, the other at Birchwood that I know of) and plenty of flat space to contruct additional fields, etc.

The USA West Coast ports received their own base units. However, the forts guarding the US West COast Ports are sadly defecient. I find it interesting that some effort was made to improve the Commonwealth Forts in both Canada and Australia, meanwhile the forts protecting Hawaii and the US West Coat lanquished. As an example Puget Sound/Seattle was protected by three major forts, the locations of which allowed for triangulation of targets in the kill zone. These forts were Fort Flagler, Fort Casey, and Fort Worden, not to mention other forts located along the Juan de Fuca Straits at the mouth and along the south shore. Maybe there is insufficient space for adding these, and some justification at least for the West Coast Ports of not having any of them there at all. There is no way the Japanese can ever truely threaten amhibious assault on the West Coast. I would suggest either beefing them up or removing them and instead add additional forts located on Oahu, primarily Fort Ruger at Diamond Head and Fort Hase at Kaneohe Bay in north Oahu. See:

http://www.cdsg.org

On TO&E error is incorporating 4.2" mortars into the organic TO&E of the US Army Infantry units (I originally commented on this during the early comment phase). This weapon was exclusively under the control of the Chemical Corp in the form of Chemical Mortar Battalions. I would like to know just where in the historical Divisional organization in WWII there were organic 4.2" mortars??? In fact the first use of the 4.2" mortars in combat was in the landings in Sicily in 1943 by the 2nd and 3rd CMB. What is interesting is that the mortar is not even listed in the US Army standard ordnace catalogue for 1944. For more information see the following webpages, as well as the US Army Official Histories covering the Chemical Corps in WWII:

http://www.4point2.org/
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_infweapons_mortars_heavy.php

There needs to be a sperate upgrade path for the US 37mm ATG. The largest organic Divisional ATG used by both the Army and Marines was the 57mm. In the Pacific there was a delay in converting to the 57mm by both the Army and Marines because the 37mm was found to be both adequate in defeating Japanese armor and that the gun was easily transportable in the jungle.

On a side note has there been any discussions on how to get the CHS to include mulitble choice aircraft upgrades given to us in patch 1.5???

Again thanks guys for all the hard work. I am going to enjoy spending hours with this baby...

moved from pry's scenario thread:

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 5/31/2005 12:07:54 AM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 11
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/31/2005 12:52:44 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

The USA West Coast ports received their own base units. However, the forts guarding the US West COast Ports are sadly defecient. I find it interesting that some effort was made to improve the Commonwealth Forts in both Canada and Australia, meanwhile the forts protecting Hawaii and the US West Coat lanquished. As an example Puget Sound/Seattle was protected by three major forts, the locations of which allowed for triangulation of targets in the kill zone. These forts were Fort Flagler, Fort Casey, and Fort Worden, not to mention other forts located along the Juan de Fuca Straits at the mouth and along the south shore. Maybe there is insufficient space for adding these, and some justification at least for the West Coast Ports of not having any of them there at all. There is no way the Japanese can ever truely threaten amhibious assault on the West Coast. I would suggest either beefing them up or removing them and instead add additional forts located on Oahu, primarily Fort Ruger at Diamond Head and Fort Hase at Kaneohe Bay in north Oahu. See:

http://www.cdsg.org

Not revising the US West Coast forts is my fault. I initially wanted to revise the Australian forts to correct a few problems and omissions. I then ended up revising the Canadian forts because I started to add/change bases in Canada. I intended to have a detailed look at the US forts, including Pearl Harbor, but I never got around to it. This was all before CHS began, but was incorporated into CHS when it got underway.

Perhaps I will go back and do this one day. If anyone has detailed information they can always post it here to make the job easier...

Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 12
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/31/2005 3:18:36 AM   
TheElf

What is the target date for release Don? Need to have a goal to work for.

WAR IN THE PACIFIC: Admiral's Edition - Air Team Lead

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 13
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/31/2005 3:58:52 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf

What is the target date for release Don? Need to have a goal to work for.

Still waiting to hear from a couple of the guys - must be a long weekend! Something in the 10 day - 2 week range??

On the Tops - were those white tails on the Wirraway's used in combat?? Kind of an attention drawer.

Don

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 14
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/31/2005 3:37:08 PM   
m10bob

On the Tops - were those white tails on the Wirraway's used in combat?? Kind of an attention drawer.

Don

[/quote]

Ref the "white tails" on the Wirraway...Elf may know something I don't,but I do know for a fact that scheme was used on some Boomerangs,(another variant of the same plane,greatly modified)..In fact,looking at the canopy of Elf's topview of that white tailed "wirraway",I thought it was a Boomerang!..
Love his artwork and I wish he would bring back the B25c..

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 15
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/31/2005 5:44:41 PM   
Don Bowen

I am about to do the (major) rework of airgroups to avoid the "Russian Activation" problem. This is a bunch of work and, once done, I'd prefer not to add, delete, or re-order airgroups again for a few centuries.

So, if any one has any new airgroups or airgroups that should be removed/combined/split please let me know right away (as in by Wednesday, Texas Time).

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 16
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/31/2005 8:01:39 PM   
Iron Duke

Hi Don

what do you mean by "Russian activation problem" ?

cheers

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 17
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 5/31/2005 10:56:30 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

Hi Don

what do you mean by "Russian activation problem" ?

cheers

When "Russian Activation" occurs the executable scans the slots that it believes contain Russian Air Groups (and probably Land Units as well). If any of these slots do not contain currently active Russian units, the executable will generate additional "reinforcement" units into these slots.

When CHS converted the air units from Groups to Squadrons we re-ordered them and moved the Russians (shame on me!). Thus, when Russian Activation occurs (by Japanese garrison limits or September, 1945), the executable partially overlays the air units in those slots with new Russian Units. It does not bother changing those items that it does not expect to be changed (like nationality). So, Russian Activation produces allied air units with Russian names and Russain aircraft at their current non-Russian locations. Thanks to Jo van der Pluym for finding this problem.

The solution is to re-order the air groups again, putting the Russians back in their original slots. This also requires a re-ordering of pilots to keep them with their squadrons. Big Job!

For those with current CHS games going - try and win (or lose) before 9/45.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 18
Pearl Harbor and the Utah - 6/1/2005 9:17:32 PM   
Don Bowen

Now that CHS has been out there for a while I'd like to ask for opinions on the Pearl Harbor attack and especially the Utah. Damage at Pearl seems to be much less under V1.5 and the Utah might be something we want to eliminate. Shame though, nice piece of artwork. Opinions??

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 19
RE: Pearl Harbor and the Utah - 6/1/2005 9:31:07 PM   
Bradley7735

I suggest changing Utah. It's listed as a BB and has a pretty high durability. So, it sucks up a lot of attacks and if sunk will give more points to the Japanese player than it's really worth.

I suggest changing it to a PG (like Soerabaja), and lowering the durability to 10 or 15. That way, it has a chance to suck up attacks from only a few attacking planes (BB's attract a lot), and it will sink if hit with 1 or two torps. And, it won't be worth the 70 odd points it currently gives (worth two CA's??)

Anyway, if you don't want to change it, I'd reluctantly say it should be removed.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 20
RE: Pearl Harbor and the Utah - 6/1/2005 9:39:06 PM   
m10bob

I disagree with Bradley.If it was there and the Japs thought it was a BB,then let it "suck up attacks".

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 21
RE: Pearl Harbor and the Utah - 6/2/2005 12:00:06 AM   
Bradley7735

Actually, they thought it was a CV. And, no matter what type it is, it will suck up some attacks (even PT's get attacked). But, as a BB, the targeting priority makes it suck up a lot of attacks. It should only be 4 or so planes attacking it. Not 24. In the several tests I ran, Utah sucked up as many attacks as the other BB's. It seems to suck up too many attacks.

At the very least, put the durability down to 10 so it sinks right away (and so it's not worth the victory points that it currently gives).

I would like to see it stay in the game. But, I currently think it's causing too much of an impact. That's just my gut feel. I haven't done anything like scientific studies on the effect of Utah in the game. I do think changing it to a PG would be more realistic.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 22
RE: Pearl Harbor and the Utah - 6/2/2005 3:16:32 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley7735

At the very least, put the durability down to 10 so it sinks right away (and so it's not worth the victory points that it currently gives).

I like this idea. Setting durability down will pretty much insure it's loss and reduce the point value, but still leave it in the game for historical value. Anyone else??

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 23
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 6/2/2005 5:32:32 AM   
mac5732

in the CHS mod game, at Koutr Bura (spelling :) ) on the initial Japenese turn, the bombard fleet is there, the transport fleet is there, but the troops that are supposed to invade are not on the transports instead they are in Canton (l8 Div) also the 4th div, which always started in Japan and used in Phillipines is now starting at Shanghi and the 2nd division starts way over on the farside of Japan... Just thought I'd let you know makes it a inconvenient for Japenses player in beginning as he now has to redo his transport fleets and send them all around picking up these units, Unless this is the way the mod was designed. No offense just my observations so far :) also Bettys used to have a range of 21, they now have a range of 18 was this done on purpose until they upgrade to better engines ????

< Message edited by mac5732 -- 6/2/2005 5:36:37 AM >

Beware: Crochety Old Geezers Play WIP and SEIV in between bathroom Runs :)

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 24
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 6/2/2005 6:02:50 AM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: mac5732

in the CHS mod game, at Koutr Bura (spelling :) ) on the initial Japenese turn, the bombard fleet is there, the transport fleet is there, but the troops that are supposed to invade are not on the transports instead they are in Canton (l8 Div) also the 4th div, which always started in Japan and used in Phillipines is now starting at Shanghi and the 2nd division starts way over on the farside of Japan... Just thought I'd let you know makes it a inconvenient for Japenses player in beginning as he now has to redo his transport fleets and send them all around picking up these units, Unless this is the way the mod was designed. No offense just my observations so far :) also Bettys used to have a range of 21, they now have a range of 18 was this done on purpose until they upgrade to better engines ????

These changes were all intentional, although the 18th Div did not work out and is being returned to Taan. Historically the 18th was at Canton and a RCT build around the 56th Regiment was used in the invasion of Kota Bharu. When I moved the 18th away from Taan I forgetted to correct the task force assignment. We don't have the ability to split off a regiment from a division in the editor and then have it rejoin in the game. So we'll just move the 18th back and use it for Kota Bharu invasion, as scenario 15 originally did.

All of the changes derive from the "H" part of CHS and also represent an attempt to slow down the over-rapid Japanese expansion in the early days of the game.

(in reply to mac5732)
Post #: 25
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 6/2/2005 6:13:53 AM   
Lemurs!

On the Betty range it was deliberate because the range was way too long.
Wait till you see the range of a A6M2 in the new release! No one will call me a Japanese fan boy then! Also will probably get rid of the A6M3a as it is superflous to our needs.

Mike

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 26
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 6/2/2005 6:53:06 AM   
m10bob

Uhhhhh,if ranges of aircraft have been looked at,will the Lockheed Hudson get more range?

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 27
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 6/2/2005 8:41:36 AM   
Lemurs!

What, you want accuracy? Damn nitpickers.

okay, i am looking right now......

how about 60 minutes more endurance? that will get a bit further.

Mike

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 28
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 6/2/2005 8:47:47 AM   
AlaskanWarrior

I would like to see the PBY's get suficient range to fly from the West Coast to Hawaii....

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 29
RE: Getting Ready for another CHS Release - 6/2/2005 8:48:44 AM   
m10bob

Big Time!!..Works for me..

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> Getting Ready for another CHS Release Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI