Hey new players! I have compiled a list of the Top 10 mistakes I made as a new player and seem to be common mistakes across the board. While this is in no way exhaustive or a complete list of mistakes/important points, it is a pretty good start! Sooooo...if you are new to GGWaW and dont want to get "reamed" on turn one, then here are a few words of wisdom....
10) Germany - Make sure you TAKE france on turn one. To do this you must NOT use tanks in taking the Low Countries.
9) Allies - Be absolutely certain to start researching ASW (anti-sub warfare) RIGHT AWAY! You must be able to sink Germany's sub fleet quickly.
8) Russia - Make certain that you dont pull all of the troops from Karelia or Finland will become active. Always leave at least one infantry there.
7) China - rail move your factories back to Chungking immediately! Hole up there and slowly repair them with supplies from WA and Russia.
6) Japan - DO NOT attack inland China unless you are certain you arent going to invade Russia as well. If you occupy an inland China province AND attack Russia - in comes the U.S.A.
5) Germany -Do not attack Northern Persia unless you are ready for the Soviets to come in. They become unfrozen if you do.
4) Allies - Make sure you have troops in Scotland, enough to withstand a paradrop and air assault. This is not the end if scotland falls, but is very annoying and difficult to overcome.
3) Russia - Watch out for German paratroops in Rumania. A bomber can transport them across the Black Sea to the Causcus and "poof", no more 6 resources. Always garrison Caucus, even if it seems impossible to attack. They will find a way to hit it if it is undefended.
2) Japan - Make sure you dont end a subs movement in a frozen sea zone. This will unleash the U.S.
1) Germany - ALWAY GARRISON ITALY on turn one. A safe "land" garrison in both provinces would comprise 2 milita, 1 infantry, 1 AA, 2 arty. This will pretty much guarantee safety, especially if the Italian fleet is in the Central Med. Any less than these forces and you risk losing all of Italy. the troops are not needed per se anywhere else in Europe, so protect it at all costs.
Well, there is my brief list of important new player mistakes and "must-dos" Anybody else, feel free to add to this list and maybe we can create a "New PLayer's Guide" to help out those that want to start, but feel overwhelmed.
Good luck new guys and gals! There are always "friendly" experienced players out there to ask questions of! No question is a dumb question!
"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."