Pry's New Scenarios

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and the game editor for WITP.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

pry

Pry's New Scenarios

Post by pry »

6 New campaign Scenarios, 3 Stock map versions and 3 that utilize Andrew Brown's map

After 2 months worth of testing and no major reported issues, I now consider these scenarios game ready. Meaning that these scenarios can be played long term and should present no issues to PBEM or AI games. I may still make a few more changes to the data base to further refine the scenarios but players should be able to enjoy a good game now.

The only major change that has not been fully tested is the reduced daily allotment of Allied fuel and supply in the 44 and 45 time period. All other changes are working as expected and the pace of the game has been drastically reduced to more historic flow. 06/26/05

Updated files to correct Japanese air groups 476,477 and 478, made several minor changes related to Allied units equipped with device 451 and 456 and fixed the air group list order to fix an issue related to Russian activation.

Files updated to correct several issues 06/05/05
Added all changes to DB that are going into the Official 1.6 release except 155 mm item noted below.
Removed Japanese 33rd Division from Shanghai and have it arriving as a reinforcement in Bangkock 01/01/42, this is meant as an AI helper to get the AI to utilize the 33rd in the correct area of operations.

Files updated to correct Tojo Error, 05/02/05
Files updated to add 6 new bases to China in the AB Map scenarios and moved the Japanese 21st Division back to Hanoi 05/03/05
Files updated to correct 12/8 Start scenarios aircraft, corrected move orders of Japanese 33rd Div and made various changes to planning of CD units, 05/08/05

Scenario 30 Stock Map 12/7 Start, Historical 1st Turn and 1st turn surprise can be turned on or off
http://www.prycom.net/witp/scenario30.zip

Scenario 31 Stock Map 12/8 start, Both Historical 1st turn and 1st turn surprise need to be turned off
http://www.prycom.net/witp/scenario31.zip

Scenario 32 Stock Map 12/7 start, Blank start for the Japanese player all orders and task forces have been canceled.
http://www.prycom.net/witp/scenario32.zip

The synopsis for this one is that the Allies knew war was coming and made their defensive deployments accordingly, they just had no real idea where the attacks were going to happen. The Japanese player is free to select the where and when to suit his plans. Historical 1st turn should be turned off (if left on nothing will happen that turn as no units have orders) and 1st turn surprise should be turned on.

Scenario 33 Andrew Brown's Map 12/7 Start, Historical 1st Turn and 1st turn surprise can be turned on or off
http://www.prycom.net/witp/scenario33.zip

Scenario 34 Andrew Brown's Map 12/8 start, Both Historical 1st turn and 1st turn surprise need to be turned off
http://www.prycom.net/witp/scenario34.zip

Scenario 35 Andrew Brown's Map 12/7 start, Blank start for the Japanese player all orders and task forces have been canceled.
http://www.prycom.net/witp/scenario35.zip

Art Files needed for the scenarios to work, you can overwrite the stock art with these and not mess up the stock games, new art is in unused slots in the stock games so it will have no effect.
http://www.prycom.net/witp/newart.zip

What is different with these scenarios from the stock scenarios, I designed them to be more detailed and offer the player more flexibility in playing the game while slowing down the pace of the game by making supply a much more precious resource by making it much harder to haul it to where it is needed. I also totally revamped the Air OOB's of both sides down to the Squadron / Chutai level wherever possible along with many other changes that I feel enhance the game.

I designed these primarily for PBEM games, but they retain the ability to be played against the AI without any problems, Play them or don't play them the choice is totally yours but feedback is greatly appreciated and encouraged. If you have comments and or questions PLEASE state the specific scenario you are talking about thanks...

List of Major Changes…. (General list applies to all 6 scenarios)

War In The Pacific, Campaign #30
(RELEASE BETA-Version 1.61, Optimized for Stock Map by Pry)

Device Changes
Japanese
Dropped the 47mm AT gun load cost to 6 from 7 (Air transportable)
Device 139 Type 13 radar changed to air search

Allied
Added device 345 Canadian Rifle Squad, replacement rate of 10 per month
Added device 352 Canadian Rifle squad (12/43) rate of 10 per month
Added device 362 Canadian Engineer rate of 3 per month
(All the above was to make Canadian units stop drawing from and being a burden on British replacements)
Device 454, 5 Inch CD Gun no longer upgrades to 155mm Field gun (451) In US Naval base forces in now upgrades to device 456 155mm CD Gun
Device 451 has been changed to army gun and will no longer shoot at ships, all CD units Equipped with (451) have been changed to device (456) 155 mm CD Gun.

Ship Class Changes
Japanese

Allied
All remaining Flush deck destroyers that have not upgraded previously now upgrade to APD's in 5/44

Ship Changes
Japanese
Removed all task forces except for historical 12/7 invasions and put ships in port, the exception to this is the Wake Invasion Force in the 12/7 start only. There is no way around the hyper 12/7 turn movement which would allow this TF to arrive on day 1 but I decided to allow this TF to remain in the scenario.
Reduced cargo capacities of all AP's and AK's, AP's (L) 2250, (M) 1500, (S) 750 AK's (L) 5500, (S) 1750
Reduced tankers capacities by 1/3 rd. 11000 and 6000 left Navy tankers at stock capacity
Allied
Added damage to all Allied ships undergoing overhaul or repair on 12/7/41, to reflect historic limited availability status.
Reduced endurance of several USN BB classes to more real world numbers.
Reduced cargo capacities of all AP's and AK's, AP's (L) 3000, (M) 2000, (S) 1000 AK's (L) 5500, (S) 2250, Liberty 5600 Victory 5900.
Reduced tankers capacities by 1/3 rd. (L) 12000 and (S) 6000 left Navy tankers at stock capacity
Adjusted arrival dates of most of the USN ships (especially Submarines) to correct historic availability date.

Aircraft Changes
Japanese
Added L2D2 Tabby factory to Nagasaki with production of 10 per month (This was also added to 1.5)
Added 1 armor to KI-27 and Claude (Out classed Yes, but not as bad as the stock game makes them they should not fall from the sky like rain anymore (Subject to testing))

Allied
Added (171) P-38F Lightning available 12/41 build rate 20 per month
Added (187) P-43A Lancer available 12/41 build rate 10 per month
Added (202) P-80A Shooting Star available 4/45 build rate 100 per month
Changed P-39D starting production date to 12/41 from 01/42
Changed A-20B starting production date to 12/41 from 01/42
Changed B-25C starting production date to 12/41 from 01/42
Changed F-5A starting production date to 2/42 from 06/42
Reduced several allied aircraft production rates to more realistic numbers (Subject to testing)

Air Group Changes
Japanese
Broke down the entire Japanese air force (IJAAF and IJNAF) to the Chutai (9 - 12 aircraft) level where possible, Japanese player now has 744 groups to control.
Removed damaged aircraft from all starting Japanese squadrons and made them operational (w/pilots)

Allied
Overhauled the entire USAAF OOB and reduced down to squadron level where possible. Allied player now has 1210 groups to control.
Increased experience of pilots in VR squadrons to 60 from 25, these pilots were already fully trained and combat ready not new recruits.
Moved USAAF air groups in the Philippines to correct starting locations

Location Changes
Japanese
Moved Japanese 33rd Division to historical starting location (Shanghai, China)
Moved Japanese 4th Division to historical starting location (Shanghai, China)
Moved Japanese 21st Division to historical starting location (Tsingtao, China. One small detachment was located in Indo-China)
Moved Japanese 2nd Division to historical starting location (Naha, Okinawa)
Moved Japanese 18th Division to historical starting location (Canton, China)
Broke down 5th Division into 2 reinforced Brigades, 9th Brigade target Khota Bahru and 21st Brigade target Songkhia (Note. 5th Division is now unable to recombine to form a full division, division was historically used as garrison for Malaya after capture)
Changed Nissan engine production in Tokyo to produce Nakijima engines instead
Changed Ishikawajima engine production in Tokyo to produce Nakijima engines instead
Changed Nissan engine production in Shimizu to produce Nakijima engines instead
Changed Nissan engine production in Hamamatsu to produce Nakijima engines instead
Changed Armament assembly in Osaka/Kure from 0 to 10
Changed Armament assembly in Marizuru from 0 to 10
Reduced all Japanese land units to 0% disabled, they started the war at the time and places of their own choosing and were totally ready.
Increased aviation support to Japanese home island static base forces.

Allied
Added 20 point Shipyard to Soerbaja
Added 15 point shipyard to Perth
Added 20 point shipyard to Manila
Replaced British infantry and engineers from Canadian units and Hong Kong Fort and replaced with Canadian infantry and engineers
Removed all daily supply and fuel from West Coast bases and moved to United States base 330, supply will now have to trickle down to the coast from the supply center. Reduced total daily supply and fuel on to 30,000 supply and 20,000 a day each.(again subject to long term testing, also in testing so far this has caused an occasional bottleneck at US West coast ports while waiting for fuel and supply to trickle down to the ports, values subject to change based on test results)
Reduced daily supply and fuel at Karachi (10,000, 5,000) and removed all daily supply and fuel from Bombay. Karachi is now the only supply point in India, values subject to change based on test results.
Added 50 Indian infantry squads to each of the Static base forces in India as garrisons.
Increased Aviation support at the following Australian bases, Perth (90), Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne (150) each and made them static.
Increased aviation support at Auckland to (90) and made unit static
Increased aviation support (250) to Major West coast base forces and made them static.

Pilot Changes
Japanese
Changed IJAAF to 35 per month Changed IJNAF to 25 per month

Allied

bstarr

RE: Pry's New Scenarios

Post by bstarr »

Pilot Changes
Japanese

Looks interesting. I like it. The above scares me a little, but not much.

One question - with Jap fleets starting in harbors, will a historic CV group be able to reach Pearl? I tried something like this once in a mod and couldn't warp my carriers all the way. They stopped something like 5 hexes out of range.

doktorblood

Post by doktorblood »

This is pretty interesting. Looks like you spent a lot of time trying to tweak the game for more realistic results ... I'm wondering why you chose to add this aircraft this early and at such a fantastic production level.

Only 45 of these aircraft were actually delivered prior to the end of the war and only 2 were sent overseas ... England.

The initial order of 1,000 didn't begin until Feb. of 45 and a second order placed in June of 45. But this aircraft was no where near operational status before the war ended. Production aircraft were still in trials when top US ace Dick Bong was killed flying one just a few days before the war ended.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Wow – lots of good ideas. With your permission I will plagiarize … er, make that base additional research on … your work.
pry

Post by pry »

ORIGINAL: bstarr
Pilot Changes
Japanese

Looks interesting. I like it. The above scares me a little, but not much.

One question - with Jap fleets starting in harbors, will a historic CV group be able to reach Pearl? I tried something like this once in a mod and couldn't warp my carriers all the way. They stopped something like 5 hexes out of range.

The Japanese will still use up pilots pretty quick, I have no problem getting KB to PH in my tests so far
pry

Post by pry »

ORIGINAL: doktorblood

This is pretty interesting. Looks like you spent a lot of time trying to tweak the game for more realistic results ... I'm wondering why you chose to add this aircraft this early and at such a fantastic production level.

Only 45 of these aircraft were actually delivered prior to the end of the war and only 2 were sent overseas ... England.

The initial order of 1,000 didn't begin until Feb. of 45 and a second order placed in June of 45. But this aircraft was no where near operational status before the war ended. Production aircraft were still in trials when top US ace Dick Bong was killed flying one just a few days before the war ended.

I wanted to add a late war fighter but did not want to add more than one, so I chose the Shooting Star the replacement is really only a place holder I have not decided on a final replacement rate. The starting date is also a placeholder for now. Remember these are Alpha, they will get more tweaking and things done with them before I call them finished. I just wanted to give folks a chance to play them a bit and provide some feedback, It is time for new eyes and opinions.
pry

Post by pry »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Wow – lots of good ideas. With your permission I will plagiarize … er, make that base additional research on … your work.

Have at it Don,
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Yes lots of great ideas!!! Don you guys should definitely incorporate some of Pry's great ideas into yalls work!!!

Reducing cargo capacity I like. More historical but will take more work and more detail oriented.

Reducing airgroups into sqaudrons and chutais is also interesting to consider....Also more historical and will take more work and detail oriented.

I especially like:
Device Changes
Japanese
Dropped the 47mm AT gun load cost to 6 from 7 (Air transportable)
Device 139 Type 13 radar changed to air search

Allied
Added device 345 Canadian Rifle Squad, replacement rate of 10 per month
Added device 352 Canadian Rifle squad (12/43) rate of 10 per month
Added device 362 Canadian Engineer rate of 3 per month
(All the above was to make Canadian units stop drawing from and being a burden on British replacements)
Device 454, 5Inch CD Gun no longer upgrades to 155mm Field gun (451) In US Naval base forces

Ship Changes

Allied
Added damage to all Allied ships undergoing overhaul or repair on 12/7/41, to reflect historic limited availability status.
Reduced endurance of several USN BB classes to more real world numbers.
Adjusted arrival dates of most of the USN ships (especially Submarines) to correct historic availability date.

Aircraft Changes
Japanese
Added L2D2 Tabby factory to Nagasaki with production of 10 per month (This was also added to 1.5)
Added 1 armor to HI-27 and Claude (Out classed Yes, but not as bad as the stock game makes them they should not fall from the sky like rain anymore (Subject to testing))

Air Group Changes
Japanese
Removed damaged aircraft from all starting Japanese squadrons and made them operational (w/pilots)

Location Changes
Japanese
Moved Japanese 33rd Division to historical starting location (Shanghai, China)
Moved Japanese 4th Division to historical starting location (Shanghai, China)
Moved Japanese 21st Division to historical starting location (Tsingtao, China. One small detachment was located in Indo-China)
Moved Japanese 2nd Division to historical starting location (Naha, Okinawa)
Moved Japanese 18th Division to historical starting location (Canton, China)
Broke down 5th Division into 2 reinforced Brigades, 9th Brigade target Khota Bahru and 21st Brigade target Songkhia (Note. 5th Division is now unable to recombine to form a full division, division was historically used as garrison for Malaya after capture)
Changed Nissan engine production in Tokyo to produce Nakijima engines instead
Changed Ishikawajima engine production in Tokyo to produce Nakijima engines instead
Changed Nissan engine production in Shimizu to produce Nakijima engines instead
Changed Nissan engine production in Hamamatsu to produce Nakijima engines instead
Changed Armament assembly in Osaka/Kure from 0 to 10
Changed Armament assembly in Marizuru from 0 to 10
Reduced all Japanese land units to 0% disabled, they started the war at the time and places of their own choosing and were totally ready.
Increased aviation support to Japanese home island static base forces.

Allied
Added 20 point Shipyard to Soerbaja
Added 15 point shipyard to Perth
Added 20 point shipyard to Manila
Replaced British infantry and engineers from Canadian units and Hong Kong Fort and replaced with Canadian infantry and engineers
Removed all daily supply and fuel from West Coast bases and moved to United States base 330, supply will now have to trickle down to the coast from the supply center. Reduced total daily supply and fuel on to 30,000 supply and 20,000 a day each.(again subject to long term testing, also in testing so far this has caused an occasional bottleneck at US West coast ports while waiting for fuel and supply to trickle down to the ports, values subject to change based on test results)
Reduced daily supply and fuel at Karachi (10,000, 5,000) and removed all daily supply and fuel from Bombay. Karachi is now the only supply point in India, values subject to change based on test results.
Added 50 Indian infantry squads to each of the Static base forces in India as garrisons.
Increased Aviation support at the following Australian bases, Perth (90), Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne (150) each and made them static.
Increased aviation support (250) to Major West coast base forces and made them static.

Pilot Changes
Japanese
Tristanjohn

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: pry

Pilot Changes
Japanese

Why?
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
Lemurs!

Post by Lemurs! »

Pry,

my sources disagree on land unit locations. Obviously, you are correct on the 21st division, but for CHS we are going to leave it in Hanoi because otherwise frisky Chinese can romp through Indo China.
Plus, my sources show Shanghai not Tsingtao

The 33rd division i agree on and had already moved to Shanghai.
The 4th division i have not moved because i have 3, count them 3 seperate locations listed from 3 sources! 2 of these sources list Japan as the location.
2nd Division i have listed as in Kanazawa, Honshu on December 8th.
18th Division had 1 brigade on Hainan island and 1 brigade in Guangdong.

Mike
pry

Post by pry »

ORIGINAL: Lemurs!

Pry,

my sources disagree on land unit locations. Obviously, you are correct on the 21st division, but for CHS we are going to leave it in Hanoi because otherwise frisky Chinese can romp through Indo China.
Plus, my sources show Shanghai not Tsingtao

The 33rd division i agree on and had already moved to Shanghai.
The 4th division i have not moved because i have 3, count them 3 seperate locations listed from 3 sources! 2 of these sources list Japan as the location.
2nd Division i have listed as in Kanazawa, Honshu on December 8th.
18th Division had 1 brigade on Hainan island and 1 brigade in Guangdong.

Mike

British Army Staff Histories, The War Against Japan devoted allot of time on the Japanese disposition of forces in Volume 1 and Volume 2, I sided with their locations as their history books tend to be much more heavily and objectivly researched.
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

pry, you have some very interesting ideas in your scenarios. Just a couple of comments:

I was told that fuel would not move overland, which has resulted in the daily fuel supply at the "united States" base being moved in the CHS. So does the fuel move overland or not? I would test it myself but I am busy doing scenario revision...

Now these changes are a very good idea! Don - if you read this, please take note (many of the base forces in CHS have already been made static, but a few more could be changed, and I like the idea of the Indian garrisons a lot).
Information about my WitP map, and CHS, can be found on my WitP website

pry

Post by pry »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

I was told that fuel would not move overland, which has resulted in the daily fuel supply at the "united States" base being moved in the CHS. So does the fuel move overland or not? I would test it myself but I am busy doing scenario revision...

Yes it will move along rail lines overland to port locations [:D]

Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

Yes it will move along rail lines overland to port locations [:D]

Thanks - I'll remove the changes for daily fuel from United States, San Francisco, Panama and Cristobal from the Pending Change list. Then review Pry's work for other Fuel and Supply changes.
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

Divisional starting locations ... as of 1 Dec 41 ... I'm still working on these but have the following now from page 55 of THE FALL OF THE PHILIPPINES, US Army "Green Book"

IJA 4th Division ... in Shanghai ...
IJA 21st Division ... in North China ... shipped out 20 Jan 42
IJA 33rd Division ... in Central China ... shipped out 13 Dec 41

One point of confusion and the one I think the original WITP designers went with .. is that there is a 4th DEPOT Division which is in Japan ... [ Osaka ] but this is not the field deployed 4th ( Infantry ) Division.

So I vote for Pry's locations for now ... as to covering Northern Indo-China ... my sources show Chinese 3rd War Area in Central China ... so this area needs to be reworked. For now ... for coverage ... I'd redeploy something this 4th Mx Bde to Hanoi until we have more time to work this out. But if ultimately there was no real unit there ... then I guess we go with that. The 1st French Militia division does show up if the Chinese cross the border ( I tested that ! ).

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

I have set up a difference check on the Locations file - comparing stock Scenario 15 (V1.5) to Paul's new Scenario 33. Result: 1893 changed locations! Devices, Aircraft, and Classes are of manageable size but Air Groups is completely revised and pilots has been cleared.

Review of this is going to take a while, maybe even a while and a half!

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Interesting, and mostly nice changes... BUT...
Broke down the entire Japanese air force (IJAAF and IJNAF) to the Chutai (9 - 12 aircraft) level where possible, Japanese player now has 744 groups to control.

Overhauled the entire USAAF OOB and reduced down to squadron level where possible. Allied player now has 1210 groups to control.

...why do all you "historic mod" etc. people insist on this? Having that many groups to manage is major pain. I'd be happy to have most of my aircraft in chunks of 50-60 if at all possible (that's "hikotai" in Japanese parlance I believe, or "group" for Allies), with like 20% of my airforce divided into smaller groups (to be used in small isolated bases). (Incidentally, and perhaps unintentionally, stock game gives you this, more or less.)

Having to manage thousands of aircraft in ~800 10-aircraft chunks looks like a MAJOR pain. What do you think players will gain with this change except interface being more cluttered?

O.
pry

Post by pry »

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Interesting, and mostly nice changes... BUT...

...why do all you "historic mod" etc. people insist on this? Having that many groups to manage is major pain. I'd be happy to have most of my aircraft in chunks of 50-60 if at all possible (that's "hikotai" in Japanese parlance I believe, or "group" for Allies), with like 20% of my airforce divided into smaller groups (to be used in small isolated bases). (Incidentally, and perhaps unintentionally, stock game gives you this, more or less.)

Having to manage thousands of aircraft in ~800 10-aircraft chunks looks like a MAJOR pain. What do you think players will gain with this change except interface being more cluttered?

O.

Hi Oleg,

I can only your answer for myself, I wanted the additional level of detail and designed it into the scenarios as a scenario I personally wanted to play, and I am sharing these with the WitP community, some members of which also would like to see this level of detail in the games they play.

When I first announced I was working on these scenarios I made it known that they were designed for the detail freak in mind not the folks who are already overwhelmed by the stock game. I am well aware that some members of the community already think the game it too detailed as is, no one is being forced into this As I stated above Play them or don't play them the choice is totally up to the individual player but some of us wanted the additional level of detail and micro-management. A pain to some and enjoyment to others.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Pry, I am OK with your reasons (one mans drunken pleasure is another man's drunken headache though they drank from the same bottle would be another way of putting it [:D]), but to continue the discussion further...

I think none of us, WITP fanatics, is afraid of micromanagement, else we would not be playing this monster game. The real question is - does additional level of micromanagement give the player something "useful" in return? Any of us could think of additional levels of micromanagement to include in the game, but will it give us ability to play better strategy?

I (kind of) observe myself while I play WITP. In 80% of cases I use "big orders", like "put all fighters on..", "put all dive bombers in this base..." etc. In remaining 20% I tweak smaller groups or put some to rest while working with others (even then, I rest them in 30-plane chunks). Big interface improvement for me would be button to the tune of "rest half (any half) of fighters in this base". I don't care which chutai/daitai/squardon, just rest half of my guys today (and other half tomorrow).

If I want to do this now, I have to manually find "half" of fighter groups in my base and rest them. Then do the same thing tomorrow. In your mod, I'd still have to find "half" of available fighter groups, just that this "half" would result in 3x more clicking to get the same result. That is when micromanagement becomes unnecessary pain, IMHO.

That's how I play, as scientifically proven by psychological experiments done by... me. [:D] I allow for the possibility there are players out there who will tweak each and every 10-a/c group in 800-a/c base so that group X is on 40% CAP while group Y is on 60%, but would be amazed to see there are more than, say, 10% of total WITP players.

Having said that, I totally support and understand your wish to make scenarios for your own pleasure, and if others wish to play them, they can. Take my comment for proverbial "two cents" (I assume it's overpriced at that [;)]). Thank you for your effort. [&o]

O.
SpitfireIX

Post by SpitfireIX »

I wanted the additional level of detail and designed it into the scenarios as a scenario I personally wanted to play, and I am sharing these with the WitP community, some members of which also would like to see this level of detail in the games they play.

When I first announced I was working on these scenarios I made it known that they were designed for the detail freak in mind not the folks who are already overwhelmed by the stock game. I am well aware that some members of the community already think the game it too detailed as is, no one is being forced into this As I stated above Play them or don't play them the choice is totally up to the individual player but some of us wanted the additional level of detail and micro-management. A pain to some and enjoyment to others.

Pry--

I'm a detail freak myself, but I wonder, in most cases, how much more control are you really gaining by modeling individual squadrons, than you could have by simply dividing groups? I haven't had a chance to look at your scenarios yet (I will after finals are over), but this was a question that occurred to me.
"I know Japanese. He is very bad. And tricky. But we Americans too smart. We catch him and give him hell."

--Benny Sablan, crewman, USS Enterprise 12/7/41

Return to “Scenario Design”