Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of all time?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of all time? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of all time? - 4/7/2005 3:14:43 PM   
ravinhood

Well this should give you a challenge. Out of all your gaming years, what is your favorite "Turn Based" game of all time (doesn't have to be a wargame)? You may list more than one if you just can't stand to not mention another favorite, but, please put your favorite number 1. ;)

Of course the choices are even hard for me, but, as follows are my favorites.

1) Civilization II

2) Combat Mission

3) X-COM Terror from the Deep

4) Master of Magic

5) Alpha Centauri

6) Galactic Civilization

7) Warlords III

8) War of the Lance

9) Empires Deluxe

10) (tie) Sid Meiers Colonization 95 & Spartan

Wow I just noticed, I'm a nut for civilization type games. Ok Matrix where's your civilization type wargame? ;)
Post #: 1
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 3:55:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
Wow I just noticed, I'm a nut for civilization type games. Ok Matrix where's your civilization type wargame? ;)

Have you tried Gates of Troy?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 2
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 3:59:45 PM   
Joe 98

SSG's TAO2- KP - BIN

Grisby's UV - WITP

All fantastic wargames. Taking advantage of computers to make wargaming better!

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 3
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 4:13:33 PM   
pterrok

1. VGA Planets--Win Plan version and NOT the one after that which he screwed up, IMO. It hung together well, seemed decently balanced and it was multi-player WEGO and truly rewarded planning and diplomacy.

2. Decisive Battles of WWII by SSG via PBEM. Battles in Normandy has supplanted Korsun Pocket but they're both excellent games.

3. Civilization III. Never had I or II so III was just fine by me. Probably would have faded away since I only played it single player IF I hadn't found civfanatics.com and played the Game of the Month for many months...

4. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. The immersion into the setting of that game was awesome! Could probably go back and beat up on it from having gotten better at CivIII, but it lapsed due to being a single player game for me...

An honorable mention (dishonorable?) to Master of Orion ]I[. Didn't have the predecessors so I played it on its own merits. There is a lot of good in the game, but most people would never stick around to find it, and it should have been so much more. A code patch by a user has made it a much better game.

KP & BiN Articles

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 4:15:38 PM   
wodin

Squad Battles

then in no particular order

Chess
SPWAW
KP
West Front
EF 2
CMBB

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 5
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 5:52:38 PM   
Arinvald

Best boardgame would be Avalon Hill's "War and Peace".
Best computer game would be "Lords of the Realm 2". Could be "Rome: Total War" if CA would step up and support their flawed gem.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 6:26:04 PM   
Rainbow

1. Stars!
2. Korsun Pocket
3. X-COM: UFO

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to Arinvald)
Post #: 7
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 7:28:49 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Nah, I didn't get Gates of Troy because they are using the AI from version 1.017 of Spartan and I don't feel like reprogramming it again like I did for Spartan. But, I definitely have Spartan and it's a great game. V1.013 AI was one of the best I ever played against in it. Too bad they changed it in v1.017 and it got too complacient.

I WILL DEFINITELY be getting their LEGIONS II: EMPIRES & "CIVILIZATIONS" though. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/7/2005 7:33:55 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 7:36:09 PM   
ioticus

quote:

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Nah, I didn't get Gates of Troy because they are using the AI from version 1.017 of Spartan and I don't feel like reprogramming it again like I did for Spartan. But, I definitely have Spartan and it's a great game. V1.013 AI was one of the best I ever played against in it. Too bad they changed it in v1.017 and it got too complacient.

I WILL DEFINITELY be getting their LEGIONS II: EMPIRES & "CIVILIZATIONS" though. ;)

Is that really true? Why would they do that? I bought and played one game of Gates of Troy (on normal difficulty) but haven't been motivated to play it again because the AI seemed non-existant. Is the AI in Spartan that much better?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 7:51:58 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Is the AI in Spartan that much better?

I think it is, and I believe you can back patch from v1.017 to v1.013 if you want a more challenging and deadly AI.

If not, I can be persuaded I guess to send you my AI that I built for v1.017 for Spartan. I basically made it like it was in v1.013 for the harder difficulty levels. Impossible is definitely almost impossible, though I have beaten it, it was after several "restarts" heh

What you might want to do first is try Gates of Troy on Hardest and see if you don't get a better game. Slitherine/Iain swears they didn't change the higher settings, but, I saw a difference when I played after v1.017. Basically what they did was cut down the entrance time of the AI, whereas it used to be like 10 turns on easy, they increased it to 20 turns, same for normal whereas it used to be like 6 turns they made it 12 turns. This means the AI is stationary for the most part of building anything for that amount of turns. But, then when it did build it wasn't building elite units, fodder units for the most part. So I modded it to go after elite infantry right off the bat.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/7/2005 7:59:28 PM >

(in reply to ioticus)
Post #: 10
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 8:07:13 PM   
ioticus

quote:

quote:

Is the AI in Spartan that much better?

I think it is, and I believe you can back patch from v1.017 to v1.013 if you want a more challenging and deadly AI.

If not, I can be persuaded I guess to send you my AI that I built for v1.017 for Spartan. I basically made it like it was in v1.013 for the harder difficulty levels. Impossible is definitely almost impossible, though I have beaten it, it was after several "restarts" heh

Are you saying I can improve the AI of GoT to the way it was in Spartan? Can you tell me how to do that?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 11
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 8:43:26 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Are you saying I can improve the AI of GoT to the way it was in Spartan? Can you tell me how to do that?

Yes, there are some AI files you can edit within the folder to adjust the difficulty of the AI.

These are the following files I adjusted: (that were in SPARTAN)

BuildPri (this is resources and how the AI determines which are most important to it, I set copper and food and bricks as top priorities.)

DipTrust (I set all these numbers to 10, this made every nation hate me from the start, so I had to be really diplomatic to gain friends)

ProxyBuild (This is the meat of the AI production, the order in which you list what the AI builds determines the structure and units the AI will build first and foremost for most every city. I primarily went for the heavy infantry barracks, a library, training grounds1 and a fort for the numerous 4 spot cities on the maps.)

Script1 (this is main script of the whole game AI, from research to barbarian invasions, I didn't adjust a whole lot in this file, except the research tree and barbarian invasions.)

Tweaks (this is the AI smartness, defense to offense, to diplomacy, to what is advantageous to attack, to happiness, how well it likes the human player after a human player backstabs it, starting resources, and when it becomes active (from normal to impossible I set it to become active on turn 1), etc. etc.)

If you are going to adjust the numbers in these files, BE SURE AND MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF EACH ONE BEFORE ALTERING THEM. Put the backup copies in another folder and then alter to your hearts content. If you mess something up the game will not load. So that's why it's always best and important to backup files you are going to adjust.

I also cannot be sure the same files are even in Gates of Troy since I don't have it. But, if I were a wagering man I would believe they are and pretty much the same files.

Sorry I can't tell you "exactly" how to do it, I put hundreds of hours into changing and testing to get the challenge in the game I wanted after v1.017. Each person is different and where I find this the best AI, others would find it too "hard".

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/7/2005 8:53:00 PM >

(in reply to ioticus)
Post #: 12
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 9:26:32 PM   
dbt1949

I'd have to say the Xcom series(yes all three of them).
Gates of Troy/Spartan rate right up there.
Civ 3 series
Alpha Centuri
Back during it's day The Perfect General was played a lot by me.
MOO 2
HPSs Advance of the Reich

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 13
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 10:10:49 PM   
Pippin

Ever since my 7'th birthday, nothing beats Monopoly.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to dbt1949)
Post #: 14
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/7/2005 10:12:40 PM   
wodin

Oh yeah and X com game I played though I cant remeber the name it had loads of depth. Just doesnt go near the top of my list due to it being Sci Fi.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 15
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/8/2005 1:31:17 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

Ever since my 7'th birthday, nothing beats Monopoly.

Lol Pippin that made me choke on my coke. lol

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 16
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/8/2005 1:42:54 AM   
freeboy

currently playing pbem.. so that takes all my all time games out!
and there where some GREAT games... Civ 1 2 and 3 whrere lots of fun
I likes the feature in Battlers of NApolean where your Cavalry, or the enemy could counter charge and counter counter charge...

ok.. my current best games are :
Witp and Korson Pok/normandy tao4 tie due to the pucker factor playing pbem

next would be med war and rtw
combat missions is a honorable mention too.great games

other oldiies where the norm kroger games? century of warfar etc
several naval titles.. great naval battles? one from the south pacific by Microprose was pretty neat lots of cool night action.. flares and spotlights.. smoke and torpedoes galore... would LOVE to see that in a modern sim with better new graphics

for strategy I loved pac war ggwir steal panthers colonization

< Message edited by freeboy -- 4/8/2005 4:19:34 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 17
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/8/2005 2:20:45 AM   
davidshq

1. Civil War Generals 2.
2. Hutsell's VGA Civil War Strategy.
3. Strategic Command.
4. XCom.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 18
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/8/2005 4:05:56 AM   
Sarge

Combat Mission

Edit: almost forgot the best game of all time Chess

< Message edited by Sarge -- 4/8/2005 4:11:53 AM >

(in reply to davidshq)
Post #: 19
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/8/2005 5:29:52 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

Edit: almost forgot the best game of all time Chess

I have to agree, I think it was probably Chess and Checkers that brought most of us to the wargaming world. I know I played my Granny hundreds of games of Checkers before I finally beat her ONE game and she said: I let you win that time" lol

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 20
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/8/2005 5:56:17 PM   
James Ward

I really liked the V4Victory series evenif the AI wasn't all that great.
Anyone play any of the old SSI games for the Apple II live Southern Command, Fighter COmmand or Guadalcanal? Not much on graphics but very good hotseat games.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 21
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/11/2005 8:34:57 PM   
EricGuitarJames

1) Civ 2
2) Combat Mission
3) Combat Command 2: Danger Forward

It's Just a Ride!

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 22
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/12/2005 7:52:30 AM   
Zap

quote:

Of course the choices are even hard for me, but, as follows are my favorites.

1) Civilization II

2) Combat Mission

3) X-COM Terror from the Deep

4) Master of Magic

5) Alpha Centauri

6) Galactic Civilization

7) Warlords III

8) War of the Lance

9) Empires Deluxe

10) (tie) Sid Meiers Colonization 95 & Spartan

Ravihood, what a list of games! Besides the civilization games how about all the turn based wargames you have played! By the way, were do you keep all of the games you have? Must have a large closet!

I could not give a fair evaluation with the small list of games I"ve played. After I saw your list I realized I've mostly played wargames. Except for the family games like "Life",
"Monopoly","Clue", Mille Borne". I believe I did play Sim City.

But to list my favorite (however I will not hold myself to it because there will probably be a new favorite in the near future) it would be
1) Gettysburg - don't remeber who made it. but it was a boardgame broken down to corps level
2) Third Reich - Avalon Hill
3)Close Combat the series

< Message edited by Zap -- 4/12/2005 8:04:21 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 23
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/13/2005 3:33:58 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

Ravihood, what a list of games! Besides the civilization games how about all the turn based wargames you have played! By the way, were do you keep all of the games you have? Must have a large closet!

The reason computer wargames didn't make it to the top 10, is because most of them don't have "random" map/scenario features. I've grown to like over the years "randomness" in my favorite games, though I do own and have played many a "wargame". They just don't last as long in longevity of "replay" value to me. When you've played a typical wargame so many times, it becomes the same nearly everytime, with only a few basic changes in strategy.

But, I have many a computer wargame from the SSI/SSG days of the Commodore 64 and lol, you are right, many games are in my closet, but, for my PC I have a 100+ CD case and then a top 16 upright case sitting on a cedar chest next to my computer station. Most of the boxes are long gone now, but, I still have all the manuals in a huge plastic filing container and a huge cardboard box, lol, I bet I have 100lbs of manuals now. haha

When Legion II: Civilizations and Empires by Slitherine comes out I'm pretty sure it's going to make it into the top 10, it's going to be a Civilization type "wargame", instead of advancing from the stoneage to space, it's going to be Civilizationlike in a few hundred years all in one ancient time period. I can hardly wait. I've wanted a Civilization type wargame for years now. ;) Spartan was close, but, it had stationary cities and only limited growth amounts programmed into them. L2C&E will allow us to build our own cities and spread out like Civilization did. And a combat engine liking to the Total War series, although I'm praying not like the RTW combat engine.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 24
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/13/2005 4:48:36 AM   
Arckon

Would have to say
1/ Battles in Normandy/Korsuns Pocket

2/ Civ III
3/ Panzer General (geez I played that a lot, and still occasionally now)
4/ East Front and Rising Sun (campaign series)

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 25
RE: What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of al... - 4/13/2005 6:42:05 AM   
rhondabrwn

An impossible task... I've had close to 1,000 games in my collection over the past 40 years.

Board Games:

PanzerBlitz
Gettysburg '65 (AH)
Waterloo (AH)
Afrika Korps (AH)

All played, many, many times (while most of my collection was studies and admired, but rarely played more than once).

Computer Games:

No question here... the John Tiller's Battleground Series (especially Gettysburg)is my top choice
Runner up is AOW Century of Warfare (very versatile game platform)
Civilization II - record holder for number of all-night sessions

Matrix games will be on there one day, but I've really been way too busy with getting my Master's degree to do much more than dabble (lots of time to read manuals and discussion boards while I'm working graveyard shifts, but gameplaying isn't possible on those shifts).

I just think how fortunate we are to have had so many, many choices over the decades.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Want Navajo Nation Photos? Go to:
http://fardareismai.piczo.com/?cr=4&rfm=y

(in reply to Arckon)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What's your favorite "Turn Based Game(s) of all time? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI