Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead - 4/5/2005 1:13:18 PM   
PJL

I suggest that instead of playnig the game via email, we do it via sending the file via a messenger program. The advantages of this is that the transfer is immediate as opposed to waiting for the email server to send the file, which can take some time in some cases. Secondly if everyone is on the same program, they can talk about stradegies etc in betweern turns.

I suggest ICQ for the main messanger program, since I prefer that to the others (actually I have Trillian but I use it mainly for ICQ). Of course people will argue that they will have to then download the program to be able to participate, but such programs are trivial to download anyway. The important thing is that we agree on what messenger to use, and then start to create an online gaming community around it.

< Message edited by PJL -- 4/5/2005 1:16:47 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead - 4/5/2005 3:07:12 PM   
nirvana

In that case, Xfire would be a better tool. Its a Chat programme designed for gamers.

Say you add me as a friend, i can give you access to my "WaW" friends folder, and you automatically get them all added to your list, i can add someone else, who shares his friends list with me, and by the time a few people share out, everyone has everyone's friends list who plays the game. It also works for any other games, and you can quickly build up large lists of people in which ever games your interested in.

http://www.xfire.com/xf/index.php

< Message edited by nirvana -- 4/5/2005 3:10:39 PM >

(in reply to PJL)
Post #: 2
RE: Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead - 4/5/2005 8:09:49 PM   
Mr.Frag

Go with Skype, then you can bug them over voice while waiting for the turn to be sent. It also allows conference calls so the whole team can get in on the act.

All ya need is a cheap mic.

(in reply to nirvana)
Post #: 3
RE: Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead - 4/5/2005 10:22:15 PM   
Sonny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Hey, why you picking on the Irish???

Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 4
RE: Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead - 4/5/2005 10:37:52 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

Hey, why you picking on the Irish???

Naw, they are good for spotting convoys for my U-Boats

(in reply to Sonny)
Post #: 5
RE: Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead - 4/5/2005 10:41:56 PM   
Jombee

Well, TCP/IP would certainly work.

(in reply to PJL)
Post #: 6
RE: Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead - 4/6/2005 12:22:18 AM   
Rattlehead2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Go with Skype, then you can bug them over voice while waiting for the turn to be sent. It also allows conference calls so the whole team can get in on the act.

I agree with ya on this one, as me and buddy use it also. Conferences r really nice, and usually the file sends fairly quick. However i am all for TCP/IP over, having to do this.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 7
RE: Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead - 4/6/2005 4:09:07 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I agree with ya on this one, as me and buddy use it also. Conferences r really nice, and usually the file sends fairly quick. However i am all for TCP/IP over, having to do this.

Personally, without a full chat/voice engine capable of handling 5 players at once, it's a waste of space. Use what is already out there and fully functional instead of having someone reinvent the world everytime a game comes out. You'll also need some kind of turn timer that forces they player to make a move in x minutes or has the AI take over the turn etc ... Speed WaW ... pointless without it really. Couple with some ability to handle people dropping their connection so your game is not ruined, ability to flip back and forth between pbem/liveplay, firewall handling, etc. Add a couple extra player slots too, might want someone else to be able to *watch*, or have team play, etc.

All sorts of things need to be thought through properly. Not a simple request when you *actually* give it some thought.

(in reply to Rattlehead2005)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War >> Instead of PBEM, why not PBICQ instead Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI