Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

firing after moving?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> firing after moving? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
firing after moving? - 2/26/2005 6:16:30 PM   
Alby

does anyone know how to enable MMGs/ LMGs to fire after moving??
I tried classing them as pack animals but then pack animals showed up in MG lists!!!
I notice in H2H they are classed this way, and are able to fire after moving, but I cant figure it out???

Post #: 1
RE: firing after moving? - 2/26/2005 7:20:24 PM   
Riun T

Hey Alby, Does'nt steel panthers make the said unit consider that u shouldn't run with a loaded gun??IE doesn't it class it as just being unloaded because I don't think any unit can shoot after unloading from something??.RT

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 2
RE: firing after moving? - 2/26/2005 9:05:52 PM   
Alby

LMGs and MMGs should be able to set up and fire quickly after moving, not necessarily after being "unloaded"

< Message edited by Alby -- 2/26/2005 2:06:32 PM >

(in reply to Riun T)
Post #: 3
RE: firing after moving? - 3/1/2005 8:32:20 PM   
Dusan

I think that this limit should represent that even LMGs can't fire as quickly as ordinary hand guns. It need some preparation and also usual two men crew needs to consolidate themself before firing.

--
Dusan the virtual panzergrenadiere
playing SP since SP I

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 4
RE: firing after moving? - 3/2/2005 12:18:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Given that the game turn abstractly represents "a few minutes", which was never exactly defined, the set-up time doesn't seem to be unreasonable. Even boardgames like Panzerblitz didn't allow movement/fire on the same turn, as I recall.

However, the illusion of "real-time" given by opfire makes up for this, IMO. Remember, SPWaW is a game, not a simulation.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/1/2005 5:21:11 PM >

(in reply to Dusan)
Post #: 5
RE: firing after moving? - 3/2/2005 4:54:12 PM   
Poopyhead

The sequence of events for moving a LMG/MMG are:
1. Stop firing and unload
2. Detach gun from tripod
3. Gunner takes the red hot weapon and the assistant takes the ammo and the tripod
4. Run behind the faster, lighter armed squad members who are firing
5. Take direction from the Squad Leader as to where he wants his firepower (The rest of the squad is already firing)
6. Emplace tripod
7. Attach LMG/MMG
8. Load and rock and roll

Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: firing after moving? - 3/2/2005 5:35:35 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

does anyone know how to enable MMGs/ LMGs to fire after moving??
I tried classing them as pack animals but then pack animals showed up in MG lists!!!
I notice in H2H they are classed this way, and are able to fire after moving, but I cant figure it out???

If you need them for scenario design, I packed a couple of them in V8.3 norway OOB! Check december 1949 as usual.

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 7
RE: firing after moving? - 3/3/2005 7:06:36 PM   
Alby

cool thanks Harry

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 8
RE: firing after moving? - 3/4/2005 12:36:48 AM   
Wild Bill

Harry, you old scoundrel, you! I have read, however, of gunners who fired their .30 cal from the hip so to speak, I'm trying to remember the exact event. Old minds fade fast. There was an instance of this with some machine gunners on Guadalcanal. There was a Marine who had adapted a .30 caliber MG with a sling, I believe on Iwo Jima. He even had a name for it. I'll have to look that one up.

So I guess we can have a "Rambo" every once in awhile, with the ammo belt trailing off his arm, a thick cloth around the barrel, and blasting away!

On this matter, I think I remember moving an MG only one hex. I believe it fired normally I'll try it tonight and see if I am right. Has anyone else seen this?

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 9
RE: firing after moving? - 3/4/2005 12:48:17 AM   
Wild Bill

Test done. Nope, they can't use the MG, only their personal weapons after moving even one hex.

BUT, they can use their MGs for defensive or opportunity fire if fired upon by the enemy in his turn. So I guess we can say you lose 1/2 of a turn when you move. In the general time frame we allow for SPWAW turns, that would be about 2 minutes. To move 40-50 yards of meters and set up even that quickly is pretty fair, I think.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
RE: firing after moving? - 3/4/2005 1:03:45 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

Harry, you old scoundrel, you! I have read, however, of gunners who fired their .30 cal from the hip so to speak, I'm trying to remember the exact event. Old minds fade fast. There was an instance of this with some machine gunners on Guadalcanal. There was a Marine who had adapted a .30 caliber MG with a sling, I believe on Iwo Jima. He even had a name for it. I'll have to look that one up.

So I guess we can have a "Rambo" every once in awhile, with the ammo belt trailing off his arm, a thick cloth around the barrel, and blasting away!

On this matter, I think I remember moving an MG only one hex. I believe it fired normally I'll try it tonight and see if I am right. Has anyone else seen this?

Wild Bill

Bill, the Marine on Iwo was Tony Stein, who fashioned a hand-held weapon from an aircraft MG. He called it his "Stinger".

As for the "Rambo" stuff, that was inspired by guys like John Basilone and Mitchell Paige, who did indeed fire a 30 cal from the hip, charging down a hill. Both of them won MOHs at Guadalcanal. Basilone was killed at Iwo Jima.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/3/2005 6:09:40 PM >

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
RE: firing after moving? - 3/4/2005 1:09:47 AM   
Wild Bill

Thanks Gunny. I had my facts right, just could not remember the names. Yep, Stein and Basilone. I've even written of these two in articles on the Pacific. So much for an aging memory. Nicely done, Glenn....WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: firing after moving? - 3/4/2005 1:15:57 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

Test done. Nope, they can't use the MG, only their personal weapons after moving even one hex.

BUT, they can use their MGs for defensive or opportunity fire if fired upon by the enemy in his turn. So I guess we can say you lose 1/2 of a turn when you move. In the general time frame we allow for SPWAW turns, that would be about 2 minutes. To move 40-50 yards of meters and set up even that quickly is pretty fair, I think.

Wild Bill

I would concur with this, the occasional heroic performances notwithstanding.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
RE: firing after moving? - 3/4/2005 4:21:49 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

Wild Bill

You´re right of course Wild Bill! However, the HMG units in norway OOB are not meant to give you any Rambo sort of units, they´re rather meant to give a scenario designer HMG units that help with supporting fire in ATTACK games. Think I packed the info in the PDF file somewhere.

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
RE: firing after moving? - 3/5/2005 12:25:41 AM   
Wild Bill

Harry, your hard work, along with others on the OOB team, gave us so many wonderful tools to work with. As a scenario designer I could not be more pleased. One can spend days looking at all of them.

This coupled with the great new map graphics you and Jim1954 gave us have made in my mind SPWAW the all time gaming classic, especially for the scenario designer. There is not a game that out there past or present that can touch it for its versatility. Its a shame that more people don't realize it.

Thanks, my friend, for the hundreds of hours you have put into this.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to RockinHarry)
Post #: 15
RE: firing after moving? - 3/6/2005 7:34:07 PM   
Major Destruction

There are some lmg units in the game that are classed appropriately so that they do move and fire in the same turn. The bren and 30cal lmg units come immediately to mind. There may be others.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
RE: firing after moving? - 3/6/2005 8:26:23 PM   
Alby

So classing them as light infrantry works?
How does that affect the Buy menu??
I wonder if they then show up on the wrong buy menu screens
thanks for your replys

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 17
RE: firing after moving? - 3/7/2005 3:05:03 AM   
Major Destruction

It only works for the LMG's.

For crewed weapons it will not work properly because the weapon in slot one will be multiplied by the size of the crew. Therefore the game will assume that the 4 man crew of a machine gun will each be firing a MG. (I think)

MG's have a certain degree of hard coding attached to the class. To make an MG work properly and to be able to shoot in the same turn as moving, you will have to change the class (like to pack animal) then change the class of pack animals to something so they don't show up in the same purchase screen, then you will have to fiddle with (er, I mean edit) the values of the machine gun weapons.

Editing the class of a unit has a chain reaction effect.

And don't forget to do this with every MG in every nation.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 18
RE: firing after moving? - 3/7/2005 3:43:58 AM   
KG Erwin

Alby, once again, you gotta realize that this engine has serious limitations amd boundaries that must be adhered to, or else you throw the game way out of anything approaching realistic results.

The SPWaW Depot team approached this problem, and the minor glitches in 8.3 have been addressed.

If you adopt these changes, and the others I put forth in my independent work on the USMC, you will have the latest research on these OOBs.

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 19
RE: firing after moving? - 3/7/2005 4:16:43 AM   
Alby

Still trying to figure out how Panzer Leo got it to work in H2H LOL

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 20
RE: firing after moving? - 3/7/2005 5:07:10 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

Still trying to figure out how Panzer Leo got it to work in H2H LOL

Panzer Leo did some hacks to the mech.exe that cause various units to show a different unit class than in the OOB editor! What you see in the OOB editor is what you get in the game normally!

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> firing after moving? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI