WitP Utility

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Bodhi

WitP Utility

Post by Bodhi »

No updated manual yet, but here's the utility for you to play with. Edit:current version contains an outdated reference manual.

PBEM users and Win98/Me users should be able to hit the "Check For New Intel/Ops" button whenever new intel/ops reports are available. Win2000/XP vs AI games should be able to use this manual option of the autodetect of turn resolution.

WitP Utility 1.0.6 update 12/06/2005

Any comments/questions/problems please post here.
Bodhi
django

RE: WitP Utility - update available

Post by django »

Great!

THX
CobraAus

Post by CobraAus »

I cant win new error message when starting the updated WITP Utility

error starting application SYSTEM PROCESS PERFORMANCE COUNTER IS DISABLED requested operation cannot be performed

Is this a program error or something not enabled on the PC

will investigate further and report back

Cobra Aus
Coral Sea Battle = My Birthday
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Bodhi, fine application, I tried it today...

The only problem I find is it's of marginal use to Japanese PBEM player (which is currently me).

The best feature of WITP util seems to be consolidation of Intel reports. Japanese intel is so laughably weak (perhaps somewhat unrealistic but I won't go there) that what little info we get thru intel reports does not need any consolidation. IJN intel reports are just totally useless (I don't even read them in my games), which, as a consequence, makes your util unneeded.

Spotting reports - correct me if I am wrong but your util apparently tracks only "named" spottings (ie. "H8K Emily spotted BB Arizona at 44,44") not "general" spottings "10 ships spotted at 44,66, direction E".

What I'd love to see in addition to above is:

- History of recon reports
- History of land combats (with losses)
- Various combat history (naval, aerial etc.)

I believe all this data could be extracted from various TXT files this game generates, so it does not seem so impossible [;)]

Oleg
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

hi bodhi,
tried the utility today and it is vastly improved from the last version. great work!

one comment, similar to Oleg...if i am the allied pbem player viewing the op report, i don't seem to be able to view japanese sightings of my ships - only sightings by my units (PBY's, Catalinas, etc). japanese sightings can be valuable intel if the type of unit doing the spotting is included (if an Alf spots my transports between US mainland and hawaii then i suspect something nasty is out there lurking in my sea lanes).

can't wait for finished version! [&o][&o][&o]
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

by the way, i did not experience Oleg's problem seeing only named spotting reports. i was able to view all sighting reports, named or otherwise. there is an option screen that allows the player to select which types of reports to view...perhaps the generic spotting reports radio button was not selected?
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

ORIGINAL: CobraAus

I cant win new error message when starting the updated WITP Utility

error starting application SYSTEM PROCESS PERFORMANCE COUNTER IS DISABLED requested operation cannot be performed

Is this a program error or something not enabled on the PC

will investigate further and report back

Cobra Aus

CobraAus,

You seem to be the only one getting this type of message, so it may be specific to your system. I'm interested to find out the problem. If you can wait a while I'll get back to you with some ideas.
Bodhi
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Oleg/Kwik E Mart,

Oleg - You can probably tell that I've only played the Allied side until now. [;)] I agree that the Intel reports aren't very helpful for the Japanese player. Hopefully the display of various scenario data, naval movement calculations, various map displays and ops reports are of some use.

Any lines that have been rejected by the parser for intel and ops are dumped to MissedIntel.txt and MissedOperationReports.txt files in the utility's folder. Looking at these it seems I've missed "Named aircraft type sighting report: no of ships (unnamed )" type messages. Easy to fix - an update will be posted when done. If you find anything else I've missed, just copy/paste the lines here from the MissedIntel.txt or MissedOperationReports.txt file and I'll add them to the parser.

Kwik - the info is filtered by the side you're playing. If you want to see what the other side sees (and some, including Tanaka and to honest myself[;)], think you shouldn't be able to), you can close the report, edit the game to switch sides, and reopen the report to get the data that your opponent sees.

Futher extensions: I agree there's still a lot that can be done. Personally, I think that the next step will require the collation and cross-referencing of a great deal of data to be most useful. If you have any detailed ideas of what data you'd like, and the type of display you think suitable, please post away.
Bodhi
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

ORIGINAL: Bodhi

Oleg/Kwik E Mart,

Kwik - the info is filtered by the side you're playing. If you want to see what the other side sees (and some, including Tanaka and to honest myself[;)], think you shouldn't be able to), you can close the report, edit the game to switch sides, and reopen the report to get the data that your opponent sees.

i'm not sure i see a problem with this. i thought seeing the spotting reports for the other side was intentional in the design of the game. i'm on an oil tanker in the middle of the pacific and a Glen goes flying by doing a recon of my ship, i report it to HQ...it should become a valuable piece of intel for my side. IMO, this is a legitimate piece of intel and should be available to both sides.

scout1

Post by scout1 »

Bodhi,

Once again, very sweet. I've never realized how extensive the Malaria area was ...

Works fine on my XP platform. My laptop (W2000) loaded ok, but got the following error message trying to execute ....
"Error starting the application. System.Drawing Font 'Arial' doesn't support style 'Regular'.

What does this mean and is there something on my end I cna adjust/change ?
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart
ORIGINAL: Bodhi

Oleg/Kwik E Mart,

i'm not sure i see a problem with this. i thought seeing the spotting reports for the other side was intentional in the design of the game. i'm on an oil tanker in the middle of the pacific and a Glen goes flying by doing a recon of my ship, i report it to HQ...it should become a valuable piece of intel for my side. IMO, this is a legitimate piece of intel and should be available to both sides.

Yes, in part I'd agree, but the ops reports also let's you know if you were correctly identified or just spotted as generic "ships". I just feel that at times the ops reports contains information that wouldn't really be available to the opposite side. I'm surprised the game design didn't incorporate just outputting info relevant to the current player side (including if the player's ships spotted aircraft). Anyway, you can see all the information by switching sides in the utility. Note that ops lines for the opposing side should be dumped to the MissingOperationReports.txt file.
Bodhi
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

ORIGINAL: scout1

Bodhi,

Once again, very sweet. I've never realized how extensive the Malaria area was ...

Works fine on my XP platform. My laptop (W2000) loaded ok, but got the following error message trying to execute ....
"Error starting the application. System.Drawing Font 'Arial' doesn't support style 'Regular'.

What does this mean and is there something on my end I cna adjust/change ?

There's one point I specify a font on drawing the map. I knew I shouldn't have done it.[:@] I assume you get the error when clicking on the "Reports" button? I tried it on 2 different Win2000 systems and it worked fine. I'll look into it and see if I can get a fix in the next update. I may ask you to test it before I post the download link if that's OK?
Bodhi
scout1

Post by scout1 »

I assume you get the error when clicking on the "Reports" button?

Now you know assuming is the start of all problems [;)]
No, the app didn't even launch into the first window. I tried to execute and the next (and only) thing I got was the error message.
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

I assume you get the error when clicking on the "Reports" button?

Now you know assuming is the start of all problems [;)]
No, the app didn't even launch into the first window. I tried to execute and the next (and only) thing I got was the error message.

I was just coming back to edit my previous message.[:D] Don't think it's the map - you should get MS Sans Serif if no Arial available, and it should be bold-italic not regular. It seems I've used Arial as the basic font for the program, can you just check (Control Panel->Fonts) that you have Arial on that system? Thanks.
Bodhi
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Arial.ttf
Arialbd.ttf
Arialbi.ttf
Ariali.ttf

This is off my control panel->fonts
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Hey Bodhi,

One other question for a future version. Is there any easy way to add a zoom feature for the map or inleiu of that a map that covers more territory ?
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Hey Bodhi,

One other question for a future version. Is there any easy way to add a zoom feature for the map or inleiu of that a map that covers more territory ?

I'd say almost no chance of a zoom feature (either in or out). With the current version, if you run at a higher screen resolution than 1024x768, you can make the window larger and most of the extra space gained will be used by the map. What I may do is to separate the options/report tabs and place them on a separate window, but I'm not yet certain that this would gain anything as I, for one, would always have this window displayed in front of the map anyway.

As for the fonts, they're all there. I assume the Net Framework is 1.1 and up to date as well?
Bodhi
scout1

Post by scout1 »

As for the fonts, they're all there. I assume the Net Framework is 1.1 and up to date as well?

OK, I'll bite. How do I check this and how do I know if it is or not ?
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi »

Once the .NET Framework is installed Windows Update should let you know if there are any updates available.

Instructions on how to repair are available from Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Microsoft NET Framework 1.1 -> Click here for support information

Other relevant links

Determine whether service packs are installed on the .NET Framework

How to determine whether a client meets the minimum requirements for installing the .NET Framework
Bodhi
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Bodhi,

I'll check, but this is the same Net Framework that was installed on the XP platform. Works fine here, but not on the W2000. Will advise if I find anything.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”