Ask the Dev!

War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922-1930, from the team that brought you War in the Pacific.

Moderator: Tankerace

Tankerace

Ask the Dev!

Post by Tankerace »

With the release of War Plan Orange drawing closer, I'd like to iron out any possible questions people might have. So post your questions here, and as I answer them I'll bundle them into the FAQ.

Before you ask, just because Mike Wood is working on the code, don't new non War in the Pacific features. What I mean is don't think a feature is going to be added for War Plan Orange that won't be in WitP (scout1's idea for a csv export thing is a good example. If the devs won't add it for WitP, then they won't add it to WPO).

So, ask away!
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
scout1

RE: Ask the Dev!

Post by scout1 »

What I mean is don't think a feature is going to be added for War Plan Orange that won't be in WitP (scout1's idea for a csv export thing is a good example. If the devs won't add it for WitP, then they won't add it to WPO).

Didn't know that they formally turned this down. Of coarse, they rarely do. If they did, would be nice to know directly
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

Well, its not that they have. Its just I want it to be clear they aren't going to add in something to War Plan Orange, and not War in the Pacific. Things that would affect both games needs to go in that thread. All Im saying is that if they did add it, I'm sure it wouldn't be only for War Plan Orange, as that would upset a great deal of regular WitP players. All I know is Mr. Frag said they weren't considering it (at least at the top of the thread), and he is more in the know than I am.

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
33Vyper

Post by 33Vyper »

I can't remember what year they sank her but can we get the Ostfriesland on the US side? Bomber Billy didn't sink her right away...so if the US goes to war maybe they would use her. hehehehe just my way of trying to get some Germans involved in WITP [:D]
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

LOL, nice try but she went down in 1921. I wanted to try and put these in, by Ostfriesland was sunk in 1921 by the Americans, and the Oldenburg was scrapped in 1921 by Japan. I looked to other German ships, and found the Nassau was scrapped by Japan in 1920. Still, since I have some time before Mike is ready, I'll see about adding in some Frenchie ships.

Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

Expounding on that, I am adding in three French cruisers that were at Saigon immediately following World War I. No other French ships will be in the game.

The Dupleix class cruisers Dusaix and Dupleix, and the Edgar Quinet class cruiser Waldeck-Rousseau. In the far east at the start of the game, that gives the Allies a US Armored cruiser, 2 Protected cruisers, 3 French Armored cruisers, and a number of destroyers, submarines, and gunboats.

Oliver Heindorf

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

ORIGINAL: 33Vyper

I can't remember what year they sank her but can we get the Ostfriesland on the US side? Bomber Billy didn't sink her right away...so if the US goes to war maybe they would use her. hehehehe just my way of trying to get some Germans involved in WITP [:D]

bereits geschehen, mein Herr.
pad152

Post by pad152 »

Question

1. Witp Plan Orange will have a different *.exe file, so Plan Orange be compatible with the Witp editor?

2. If above is yes, will there be anything we won't be able to change with the editor?
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

1. I would assume so, or have its own editor. However, I don't know if that is for certain. Hopefully Mike will comment on this, as he is the programming guru.

2. I am not certain on this, as I am not certain what steps (if any) are being taken to make sure a WPO scenario is not played in regular War in the Pacific, beyond obvious limitations (graphics and necessary code changes). Once Mike comments, or we start putting everything together closer to release I should be able to answer in more detail.

33Vyper

Post by 33Vyper »

bereits geschehen, mein Herr

my german is rusty.....but does that mean ... been there done that??? This is gonna drive me nuts.....what does it mean?
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

Already done I believe, as in she was already sunk. Or so says Altavista's babblefish [:D]

33Vyper

Post by 33Vyper »

okay....hmmm...how about a 1914-1918(1919) scenario where the US goes against Japan and the Germans?

call it ummmmm War Plan Schnitzel

you could ummm transfer the entire high seas fleet to some small German Island
WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

When you added the forum members as commanders, did you set (more or less) random values for all the hidden attributes or will we see just variations in the Leadership/Inspiration rating? Just a question - no need to go through the whole list [;)]

(not that important for me anyway, as commander of the HMS London Minesweeper [:'(]

Edit: Link: Answered here
ImageImage
JSS

Post by JSS »

ORIGINAL: 33Vyper
bereits geschehen, mein Herr

my german is rusty.....but does that mean ... been there done that??? This is gonna drive me nuts.....what does it mean?

Vyper,

Here's a link to help you with such crisises! Mission accomplished!

http://dict.leo.org/
Rainerle

Post by Rainerle »

Hi,
just two things that puzzle me:
1) Aren't most ships coal fired in that period? If so shouln't most of the 'fuel' be generated in Manchuko rather than the SRA ? (sorry if that is already done)
2) Out of pure curiosity, are there any small, puny portugese ships guarding Macau, just for chrome ?
Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

Hi,
just two things that puzzle me:
1) Aren't most ships coal fired in that period? If so shouln't most of the 'fuel' be generated in Manchuko rather than the SRA ? (sorry if that is already done)
2) Out of pure curiosity, are there any small, puny portugese ships guarding Macau, just for chrome ?

1) A good number are. I have put fuel in Manchukuo for this purpose. I left in the SRA, because in the mid-late 20s many coal ships are converted to oil (represented by increased endurance).

2) Note yet. That is not a no, but its not a yes either. (Cryptic eh?)

String

Post by String »

Will there be monitors in the game? Such as HMS Terror or HMS Erebus?
Surface combat TF fanboy
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

Unfortunately, no. I really wanted to add them, but I deemed from a strategic perspective that they were of too shallow draft and short range to have been transferred to the Pacific. However, the large light cruisers Glorious and Courageous are in the game, and they had been designed to fulfill a similar mission.

WPO_FANBOY!

Post by WPO_FANBOY! »

don't know if this has changed but in the FAQ you stated that the time frame is:

June 6th 1922 - December 31st 1930 So why does it start on June 6th? Your birthday perhaps![:D] Just curious [:)]
Tankerace

Post by Tankerace »

LOL, no, it was just a number I grabbed. Actually though, I set it back to May 31 though. That way, roughly the large campaigns can last 4 and a half years. I figure I would rather give people longer than they'll really need, than not give them enough time.

The Main campaign of the game lasts from May 31, 1922- December 31, 1926.
The Second campaign (not linked to the first), and the Never were campaign (with the 18" SoDaks, G3s, Kiis, etc) lasts from May 31, 1926 to December 31, 1930.

The Phase 1 Scenario is basically a shortened version of the main campaign, lasting from May 31, 1922, to Dec. 31, 1923.

I haven't finished setting an exact date for the 2 PBEM only scenarios.

And, FYI, my Birthday is February 8... Ironically, two days after the anniversary of the signing of the Washington Treaty.

Return to “War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930”