Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comparisons

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Comparisons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comparisons - 1/26/2005 3:00:05 PM   
ETF

Anyone with Point of Attack 2? How would you compare the two products?
Post #: 1
RE: Comparisons - 1/26/2005 3:39:25 PM   
HercMighty

POA2 is a lot more in depth and a lot harder to play. Also you are left scratching your head more than you are understanding what is going on. Flashpoint gives you much more feedback and doesn't suffer from the FOW problems that POA2 does. I still have some hope from POA2 but it will most likely take POA3 to get it done, and for Scott to listen to some reason. His ideas are good but implementation for gamers is not there yet.

So in summary I have set POA2 aside in favor of this game.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 2
RE: Comparisons - 1/26/2005 4:26:53 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty

POA2 is a lot more in depth and a lot harder to play. Also you are left scratching your head more than you are understanding what is going on. Flashpoint gives you much more feedback and doesn't suffer from the FOW problems that POA2 does. I still have some hope from POA2 but it will most likely take POA3 to get it done, and for Scott to listen to some reason. His ideas are good but implementation for gamers is not there yet.

So in summary I have set POA2 aside in favor of this game.

POA2 is? And where from?

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 3
RE: Comparisons - 1/26/2005 4:35:48 PM   
Black Cat

POA2 is still broken, and attempts a much deeper & more complex level of simulation. As a long time supporter of HPS it`s sad for me to say IMHO the Game is still a Beta Version and really should be withdrawn from sale.

Tiller`s/HPS " Fuda Gap `85" is a Campaign Level Game, an is really another huge Panzer Campaign Game updated to modern times so it`s not really a good comparison to FG due to the scale.

The real comparison should be Tac Ops 4.0 which, even with the now very dated graphics is the Gold Standard for modern combat sims.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 4
RE: Comparisons - 1/26/2005 6:19:16 PM   
sabre100

quote:

POA2 is? And where from?

POA2 is Point of Attack 2 from HPS Sims (www.hpssims.com)

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 5
RE: Comparisons - 1/26/2005 6:44:18 PM   
Chelco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Black Cat
The real comparison should be Tac Ops 4.0 which, even with the now very dated graphics is the Gold Standard for modern combat sims.

The only two things that turn me off from TacOps are the "always perfect morale" of the units and the scripted enemy AI.
But you are right, is the golden standard right now.

(in reply to Black Cat)
Post #: 6
RE: Comparisons - 1/26/2005 9:36:58 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

Anyone with Point of Attack 2? How would you compare the two products?

I wouldn't.

PoA2 is a flawed, but extraordinarily detailed simulation. Something that really needs a 3 gig processor while having graphics not a lot better than Tac-Ops would have to be. It is NOT a "game", and is barely playable as one. Many took up the challenge thinking they would enjoy that level of detail (I confess I was one) only to find they just couldn't play it, and that includes many well(ish) known community types you would generally consider "hardcore".

Flashpoint Germany is a very playable (and in my limited experience, entertaining) wargame, not a simulation. It's also one, like Tin Soldiers, that I would strongly recommend to newcomers to the genre.

A better comparison for FG would be the HPS "Modern Campaigns" Cold War games (larger scale, more complex in some ways, but actually simpler in others). A better comparison for PoA2 would be TacOps and Shrapnel/ProSim's Armoured Task Force (and Raging Tiger). ATF (I don't have Raging Tiger yet) is IMHO easily the most playable, while retaining the realism.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 1/26/2005 7:37:45 PM >

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Comparisons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI