Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

British Inf HQs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> British Inf HQs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
British Inf HQs? - 12/7/2004 10:01:16 AM   
Feinder

There seems to be dramatic derth of the these things. The only ONE you get is Indian III Corps (promptly moved forward). And the Burma Corps (which you're lucky to hold Mandalay for that long). After that, you have to wait forever to see additional Inf HQs.

I really don't know the command organization of the British eastern army. Maybe they really were sorely lacking in HQ.

The RAF HQ units are great, but and while they can supply ample support balance, their function doesn't help at all on the ground.

I'm just asking if anyone can corroberate that the British units were really that deficient in Inf HQ units. The only ones I see in game (including reinforcements) are Indian. Did the British army not have any HQ type units deployed?

Rather curious.
-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 12/7/2004 3:02:14 AM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Post #: 1
RE: British Inf HQs? - 12/8/2004 12:42:21 AM   
jcjordan

I assume scen15? Early on those seem to be the only ones they will have other than RAF HQ till 43 or 44 when 14th army comes in as well as another or 2 but don't have game with me at moment so can't say what others will come. From looking at the arrival of 14th in the game & from what I remember it seems to me to come in later than it should. I do think historically SE Asia command was in total charge of forces in the area without much subordinate HQ's until 14th came along.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2
RE: British Inf HQs? - 12/8/2004 12:48:12 AM   
Halsey

I wonder about those RAF HQ's. What do they really add? Support to BF's? Commander modifier to air units in its command range? Or are they there to suck up supply needed elsewhere?

AE WITP Land Air Bitmap downloads

https://sites.google.com/site/aewitplandairartwork/home/ae-witp-bitmap-downloads

(in reply to jcjordan)
Post #: 3
RE: British Inf HQs? - 12/8/2004 12:53:03 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

I wonder about those RAF HQ's. What do they really add? Support to BF's? Commander modifier to air units in its command range? Or are they there to suck up supply needed elsewhere?

Well, they are supposed to add to your air ops effectiveness, esp. no. of aircraft that go on the mission.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 4
RE: British Inf HQs? - 12/8/2004 12:57:45 AM   
Halsey

Well I didn't see that on my last turn. Three Hurricanes out of 16 scramble to intercept incoming strike. They were set on 90% CAP at a level 6 airfield with 50000 supplies, and plenty of support points.

Maybe it only affects outgoing missions?

https://sites.google.com/site/aewitplandairartwork/home/ae-witp-bitmap-downloads

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
RE: British Inf HQs? - 12/8/2004 1:05:43 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

Well I didn't see that on my last turn. Three Hurricanes out of 16 scramble to intercept incoming strike. They were set on 90% CAP at a level 6 airfield with 50000 supplies, and plenty of support points.

Maybe it only affects outgoing missions?

Hard to know - maybe none would have scrambled without the HQ unit.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 6
RE: British Inf HQs? - 12/8/2004 1:08:17 AM   
Halsey

True, very true.

Maybe one of the moderator's out there may have an answer to this question.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 7
RE: British Inf HQs? - 12/8/2004 1:56:59 AM   
Sredni

I transfered a command and a corps HQ from china to SE Asia right at the start and moved them to mytikyn to help in it's defense. If/when I need more hq's in se asia I figure I'll just steal more from the chinese. They seem to have a billion of em.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 8
RE: British Inf HQs? - 12/8/2004 9:02:22 AM   
Feinder

FYI - The RAF HQs are good to put at your larger AFs. I don't actually remember the manual saying they do anything for Fighters/FBs and the smaller aircraft (but I'm tired, and too lazy to look it up right now). However, I -do- know they affect the number of medium bombers that fly. If you don't have an HQ unit within range of your medium bomber unit, you stand to not lauch up to 10% (or is it 25%, can't remember) of your available aircraft. That's why I park them at my larget AFs, because that's where the heavies are. If you send out a raid with 60 bombers, you talking about leaving 6 - 15 of them on the ground. And everybody that draws combat pay, flies missions as far as I'm concerned.

** It's 25%, I just looked it up (7.2.2.6). Definately worthwhile to station Air HQs at your larger AF.

And for my fellow CBI fanboys out there, I also put a RAF HQs at my "hump AFs" (that fly supply into China). I'm not actually sure if they Bombers/Trasports are affected by the RAF HQ (since technically it's not a combat mission), but again, I want every plane flying supplies into China that can carry.

RAF HQs do lend their (general) support points to any combat units in the same hex (so they can help with that usual deficity). However, they don't give the advantage of an Inf Corps HQ to LCUs, were if you assign the objective of the Inf Corps HQ, you can get a fairly supstantial increase in your LCU assault strength (again, can't rember how much, too lazy to look it up).

But while I love, and greatly utilize the RAF HQs, they do little for the very important ground campaign. I'm just really surprised that there are so few Inf Corps HQs (when you've got a million of them in China). I'm all about giving my guys every edge they can get, and yes, I've thot about airlifting some of the Chines guys back into India, but that just seems a little "peculiar", and I haven't deemed it necessary anyways.

-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 12/8/2004 2:07:09 AM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> British Inf HQs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI