Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mining / minesweeping own port?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Mining / minesweeping own port? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/6/2004 9:43:51 PM   
BlackVoid

I have trouble mining and minesweeping ports that also serve as a base for the TF.
How can it be done, other than sending the MSW TF out with retirement allowed? But minelaying does not work at all this way.
Post #: 1
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/6/2004 9:54:45 PM   
Tallyman662

Change the home port with the withdraw option and they will lay mines. Having an MSW in a TF on patrol will sweep mines.

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 2
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/6/2004 10:56:58 PM   
irrelevant

They will not mine the hex they are in when you issue the orders, it also seems they don't like to mine their home port. Best bet is to move them out, change the home port to someplace else (preferably someplace where they can get more mines), then move them back in with retirement allowed. If you set a different home port and set to retirement allowed first, and then set your DH (in some hex other than the one you are in) you will get the "IJN Whatshisname will conduct mine warfare operations in hex xx,yy" message.

< Message edited by irrelevant -- 12/6/2004 3:57:30 PM >

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Tallyman662)
Post #: 3
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/6/2004 11:23:02 PM   
Tallyman662

Sorry I wasn't more thorough in my reply.....what Irrelevant said! LOL

(in reply to irrelevant)
Post #: 4
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/7/2004 12:25:01 AM   
Mr.Frag

Sweeping is easy, just form the TF, and set it to do not retire and click undock. You don't even have to give it a destination.

Laying is a pain, on the list somewhere to be able to lay mines in your home port, just never got done. The problem is that if you could simply lay mines in your home port, it produces a evil loop in the code. The ship drops it's mines and retires getting more mines to drop to retire to drop to retire etc ... you'd end up with a hundred thousand mines in every port that had the ability to reload mines. Definitely not historical at all not to mention that you would be sinking your own ships left and right at that level of mining

(in reply to Tallyman662)
Post #: 5
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/7/2004 12:44:44 AM   
BlackVoid

Mining can be overdone anyway, it should eat supply to prevent overmining.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 6
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/7/2004 5:03:12 AM   
RUPD3658

quote:

TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TF 34 RR THE WORLD WONDERS

I saw a special on the Battle of Leyte Gulf last night and finally understand the significance of your sig line. Very cryptic until now.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to irrelevant)
Post #: 7
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/7/2004 2:56:05 PM   
irrelevant

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlackVoid

Mining can be overdone anyway, it should eat supply to prevent overmining.

It does eat supply, it just doesn't eat very much. A few points per mine.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 8
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/7/2004 11:49:19 PM   
Thurmonator

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Sweeping is easy, just form the TF, and set it to do not retire and click undock. You don't even have to give it a destination.

Laying is a pain, on the list somewhere to be able to lay mines in your home port, just never got done. The problem is that if you could simply lay mines in your home port, it produces a evil loop in the code. The ship drops it's mines and retires getting more mines to drop to retire to drop to retire etc ... you'd end up with a hundred thousand mines in every port that had the ability to reload mines. Definitely not historical at all not to mention that you would be sinking your own ships left and right at that level of mining

I can't seem to have my ML lay in a port thats not even the home port.

It never gives me the "will conduct mine ops..." when i click on a base hex, but i can click on the empty hex next to it and it will give me the mine ops message. This is with retirement allowed and the home port as a base other than the target. Please help.

Please make a modern strategic Naval wargame for the PC.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 9
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/8/2004 12:10:37 AM   
Halsey

You won't get the report if the destination is a base hex. Look at the base screen to see the number of mines increase.

You can also check your ML's in the TF to see if the mines are still there.

< Message edited by Halsey -- 12/7/2004 4:11:35 PM >

AE WITP Land Air Bitmap downloads

https://sites.google.com/site/aewitplandairartwork/home/ae-witp-bitmap-downloads

(in reply to Thurmonator)
Post #: 10
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/8/2004 12:14:33 AM   
Thurmonator

cool.

I will try it again. Thanks

Please make a modern strategic Naval wargame for the PC.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 11
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/8/2004 12:23:48 AM   
Halsey

One more thing to note. If the base does not have a port, the mines will not show on the base screen. Just the mine icon will. Good luck!

AE WITP Land Air Bitmap downloads

https://sites.google.com/site/aewitplandairartwork/home/ae-witp-bitmap-downloads

(in reply to Thurmonator)
Post #: 12
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/8/2004 2:01:31 AM   
Sredni

To mine the port a minelaying TF is in I do this.

1) Switch it's home port to something else.
2) Undock
3) Tell it to go to the port it's in, even tho it's there already.

And the minelayers will lay mines in the port they're in and then head to whatever port I specified as their home.

(in reply to BlackVoid)
Post #: 13
RE: Mining / minesweeping own port? - 12/8/2004 5:52:38 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

I realize that everything is simple to the guy that doesn't have to program it in a robust fashion :-), but wouldn't one option be to have laying mines cost 1000 ops points, and loading mines cost 1000 ops points? You could still lay a fair number of mines, probably unrealistically, but it wouldn't be any more than you could put in an adjacent hex, me thinkest.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Mining / minesweeping own port? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI