From: Boston, MA
12/9/41 Turn Complete
Well, we are now into December 10’th turn and already I am having to live with some major consequences of decisions made on the first day. As Mynok has no doubt posted in his thread (we are “blind” to each other’s threads), we did the non-historical first turn. I agonized over whether or not to sortie the Pacific fleet on the first turn and finally decided that fleeing to the east was the best option. As a result on 12/7, Hawaii airfields were absolutely hammered and aircraft losses were horrendous as there was very little in port for him to hit except some PTs, which he sent to the bottom fast.
I won’t go into all of the factors that influenced my decision to sortie. But I am now questioning my strategy as he’s caught some of my eastbound TFs and sunk two BBs with a third a flaming pile of floating wreckage that certainly won’t make it to the West Coast of the US. KB is pursuing to the east but I know he can’t pursue me indefinitely due to re-fueling and replenishment needs for KB, which must be starting to become at least a slight concern for him. However each turn that passes, my fleeing TFs just don’t seem to disperse enough and are disconcertingly bunched up. Lesson learned: if I ever do this again, I will make smaller TFs and send them to more points on the compass.
I have sent my two CV TFs well to the south and out of harm’s way.
He has landed on both on Luzon and Davao. I am not attempting to reinforce in any way. I am concentrating my Luzon defenses at Manila (fort is set to expand) and in the Bataan peninsula. I have sortied all of my submarines from Subic and all shipping in the area is headed south to Oz. I have also started moving P-40s from Clark to China Command and the B-17 group on Davao to Calcutta. I will continue to save whatever air units from this area and DEI as fast as possible. My basic strategy in both places will be (what else?), delay as much as possible with the forces at hand. I did manage to evacuate an RAF HQ from Singapore and a base unit from same. Both units are now India bound on a couple of escorted APs.
In CBI, the basic strategy at this point is to dig in with as much as I can along the Irrawaddy. I am pulling out of Rangoon and hoping for the best. I hope not to have to retreat to the next river, but I fear from reading the other AARs this fate may be in store for me. I am worried sick about losing India, but I know if he makes a major push here, he will leave himself exposed somewhere else. It is really all about time for me to get the overwheliming reinforcements that are coming to me. I do plan on trying to wreak some havoc with those evacuated B-17s from Davao in this theater.
Very little happening in China right now. I am consolidating my positions and making sure that I am not exposed anywhere on land. My biggest fear here is encirclement/isolation. I am sending some LCUs from Western China to Burma.
Of course, it is too early to tell what Mynok’s overall strategic emphasis will be, but as we know, he must focus on DEI very soon for the oil/resources. Beyond that is anybody’s guess.
Ils ne passeront pas