Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

panzer armies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> panzer armies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
panzer armies - 3/15/2001 7:07:00 AM   
crusher

Has anyone tried to shift all four panzer armies to army group center? then use this force to drive on moscow? you still need support of ag north to protect your flank andwhat support ag south is worth. i captured moscow in may of 42. the russian winter off. was blunted due to high casulities. still it took all the way to the summer of 44 to meet victory conditions. i kept german production to only a few models of panzers to keep replacement pools high. ac worked well on ground attack. but is it worth interdicting russian units. it seemed to hurt them little. i have seen only one leader killed in action and one german general arrested and exicuted for treason. first time to submit to forum
Post #: 1
- 3/15/2001 7:25:00 AM   
Mist

quote:

Originally posted by crusher: Has anyone tried to shift all four panzer armies to army group center? then use this force to drive on moscow? you still need support of ag north to protect your flank andwhat support ag south is worth. i captured moscow in may of 42. the russian winter off. was blunted due to high casulities. still it took all the way to the summer of 44 to meet victory conditions. i kept german production to only a few models of panzers to keep replacement pools high. ac worked well on ground attack. but is it worth interdicting russian units. it seemed to hurt them little. i have seen only one leader killed in action and one german general arrested and exicuted for treason. first time to submit to forum
I did not try. My primary goal is Leningrad(Tikhvin) asap, reaching of Rzhev-Vyazma-Moscow triangle and Voronezh-Stalino line. I never played against human and played against AI only once yet. I think that concentrating on Moscow direction and ingnoration of south and north is not worthy enough at cost of all panzer armies. A little alternative that I successfully had use is one additional panzer armie(ie 3 panzer korpses) which can be formed from 40th pz.kps.,italian front pz divs, Brandenburg moto, and all cavalry divisions. I had successfuly used them in the final offensive on Leningrad and Moscow in 1941.

(in reply to crusher)
Post #: 2
- 3/15/2001 7:28:00 AM   
RickyB

quote:

Originally posted by crusher: Has anyone tried to shift all four panzer armies to army group center? then use this force to drive on moscow? you still need support of ag north to protect your flank andwhat support ag south is worth. i captured moscow in may of 42. the russian winter off. was blunted due to high casulities. still it took all the way to the summer of 44 to meet victory conditions. i kept german production to only a few models of panzers to keep replacement pools high. ac worked well on ground attack. but is it worth interdicting russian units. it seemed to hurt them little. i have seen only one leader killed in action and one german general arrested and exicuted for treason. first time to submit to forum
Welcome to the forum. In my experience there is no real need to concentrate the panzers near Moscow until the fall. Up until then the main limit on the drive to Moscow is supplies, rather than strength. This allows the Soviets to build up a strong front no matter what, with an attack on Moscow not possible until mid to late September with mud coming in October. Thus, the best bet if trying to get Moscow before the end of the year would be to prepare the drive to happen after mud ends in late October or early November, where having the panzers concentrated would be great.

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

(in reply to crusher)
Post #: 3
- 3/19/2001 1:00:00 AM   
Marquo

"In my experience there is no real need to concentrate the panzers near Moscow until the fall. Up until then the main limit on the drive to Moscow is supplies, rather than strength. This allows the Soviets to build up a strong front no matter what, with an attack on Moscow not possible until mid to late September with mud coming in October. Thus, the best bet if trying to get Moscow before the end of the year would be to prepare the drive to happen after mud ends in late October or early November, where having the panzers concentrated would be great. -------------------- Rick Bancroft" Capturing Moscow, Leningrad and Rostov with units closing in on Stalingrad usually ends the game for me in early 1942...I enjoy a different variant which is much more challenging...try limited action on the Northern and Central Fronts and go for Oil first in 1941...try to capture Stalingrad and the Caucausus region in 1941, and then try for the rest... Marquo

(in reply to crusher)
Post #: 4
- 3/19/2001 2:22:00 AM   
RickyB

quote:

Originally posted by Marquo: Capturing Moscow, Leningrad and Rostov with units closing in on Stalingrad usually ends the game for me in early 1942...I enjoy a different variant which is much more challenging...try limited action on the Northern and Central Fronts and go for Oil first in 1941...try to capture Stalingrad and the Caucausus region in 1941, and then try for the rest... Marquo
Hi Marquo, Does that still work with the latest version? With the lowered rail conversion during regular supply, the limited effect of air supply on ground units, and the 1 hex movement when a unit is out of supply and its readiness drops very low, I would guess this would be very difficult. However, since the AI likes to strip the south of all units, I wouldn't be surprised that you could still do it. That would be a tough trick no matter what, though.

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

(in reply to crusher)
Post #: 5
- 3/19/2001 5:56:00 AM   
Marquo

I am gearing up to try...but I get around the more challenging supply rules by limiting my panzer advances to only several hexes ahead of my infantry, with the sole aim of surrounding enemy units and cities and then destroying as many units as quickly as possible...taking care not to bite off more than I can chew in a move or two.

(in reply to crusher)
Post #: 6
- 3/29/2001 4:56:00 PM   
Lokioftheaesir

To Marquo That strategy would seem to commit you to a 2-3 year campagne . Consevative and probably correct.

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

(in reply to crusher)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> panzer armies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI