Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 5:31:19 PM   
Kereguelen

Hi,

just started a new PBEM as Allied player. Wonder what to do with the B-17 BG from CF. Assigning it to SWPAC or to SEAC?

Where will the BG be more useful? In the SWPAC or the SEAC theatre? Both assignments seem to have their merits.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome!
Post #: 1
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 5:38:21 PM   
WhoCares

It doesn't matter - as long as it is not a restricted command, the HQ of a units (land and air) has no effect on it.
At least, that is what I understood from the manual and various discussions here...

Just to clarify, this is with respect to changing it from a restricted HQ to a non-restricted HQ and the effect of the selected HQ (of which there are none if I am right). I have no clue where the bombers would be of more use for the allies

< Message edited by WhoCares -- 11/22/2004 4:43:49 PM >

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 2
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 5:41:59 PM   
Kereguelen

Hi,

just for clarification. The question was not about restricted commands but about the most useful place to use them for maximum effect. Maybe a topic suited for the War Room.

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 3
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 5:45:11 PM   
WhoCares

I guess now we have enough clarification, as I edited my post while you posted your new one

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 4
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 6:05:38 PM   
Kereguelen

Agreed!

(in reply to WhoCares)
Post #: 5
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 6:14:41 PM   
Feinder

Long-Range (heavy) bombers in India are a wonderful thing. There are lots of targets. You can bomb AFs and Resources in Burma. You can kill badguys trying to invade India. You can bomb bad-guys in China. The fun never stops.

You also need a few Sqdns in SWPac. Your main target will be Rabaul. It's very necessary to clobber Rabaul, and certainly Lae/Shortlands/Lunga are all potential targets. But you're really limited as to where you can base B-17s in SWPac. You can base them at PM once the AF is large enough, but you've also got to worry about getting whacked by Japanese LBA. Same is true for Lunga. The AF has be built up, and if it is, you're also needing fighters to protect yourself from bombers from Rabaul. Don't me wrong, you've -GOT- to have B-17s in SWPac to take out the Japanese bases.

But I'll just say that if you manage to borrow some B-17s from the US*, and base them in India, yes, you will get a LOT of use out of them. Once your squadrons convert to Wellingtons, you've got a pretty good bomber (not as good as B-17, but still quite adaquate). But until then, B-17s are great to have in CBI.

-F-

* this really is the case for Knavey and I. He's the US, I'm UK and everybody else in our PBEM games. So yes, I really do have to ask for the B-17s, I don't get them for free... :^)

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 6
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 6:27:07 PM   
Kereguelen

The problem (IMHO) seems to be that one also needs some B-17 in SWPAC. But there already is a BG attached to SEAC (appears at West Coast and upgrades to LB-30) which can be (and should be?) transferred to India. Thus one would end up with two BG's in India but lack a BG in SWPAC....

Does anybody know what historically happened to the BG originally stationed at CF?

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 7
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 7:39:28 PM   
Sredni

I moved the 2 b-17's in the PI to india and I'm glad now that I did (in march now). I'm getting a lot of use out of them bombing resources/oil and troops in burma, and I have enough aviation support to effectively use them.

Whereas in swpac (australia mostly at the moment ) I've moved one b-17 group (48) in from hawaii already and I've run out of aviation support. I also have no fighter cover and the LBA from rabaul are whacking pm every turn (I've evacuated pm of aircraft now). I even had a size 24 squadron of p-40e's and a 24 size aircobra squadron in pm running cap and they got decimated the firt time he swept in with zero's.

I'm currently in the proccess of shipping down an aviation support unit and a p40e group (72) to try to fix these problems but the going is slow heh.

Anyways that's my advice, there are more bombers from PH that are readily available for use in SWPAC, and until you ship in aviation support you won't be able to use the PI b-17's anyways. So imho they're far more usefull and supportable in india.

(in reply to Kereguelen)
Post #: 8
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 7:47:32 PM   
Splinterhead

Historically the 19th BG moved to SWPAC and bombed Rabaul.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 9
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 7:53:30 PM   
Tallyman662

Initial survivors I may move to San Marcellino with its size 5 airfield to get them out of the Clark Field morass. They can do some damage to airfields from there for a while but eventually they will get sent where needed most depending on the situation.

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 10
RE: B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field - 11/22/2004 7:57:52 PM   
Graycompany

I moved mine to swpac and have them based in darwin where they are doing fair job of bombing targets in the DEI. I am in april of '42. I think they have been very useful here, although the person that suggested india is right, LRB are very useful there thanks to the big airbases an almost unlimeted supply.

I thought this place was a empire, now im the last, I can't be sure...

(in reply to Splinterhead)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> B-17 Fortress Group from Clark Field Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI