Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets Updated
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Replacing map tile graphics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Replacing map tile graphics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Replacing map tile graphics - 2/6/2001 1:16:00 AM   
GDS_Starfury

Hi I was interested in switching out all the map tile graphics used in WiR. I was hopeing someone might be able to shed some light as to how I can do this. Hers what Ive done so far: Hopefully Ill have a com[plete set soon sesonal changes.
Post #: 1
- 2/7/2001 3:01:00 PM   
StratMan

Looks good, but I am afraid I have no idea how it can be done, but it can because Matrix has altered the tile set in the past. But you probably already know that Good job. StratMan. [This message has been edited by StratMan (edited February 07, 2001).]

StratMan
-----------------------------------------

Einstein rules relativity.
Well in theory at least.

(in reply to GDS_Starfury)
Post #: 2
- 2/19/2001 4:03:00 PM   
GDS_Starfury

Ive been racking my brain trying to figure how to get this set in the game and replace the entire map with something more visually pleasing. If anyone can help me here please speak up :P

Post #: 3
- 2/19/2001 9:59:00 PM   
Rich Dionne

GDS, I've developed a new version of my icon editor that will convert the entire icon set into a bitmap, allowing you to edit with your favorite paint program, and then convert the bitmap back into the icon set. I should have this up at my website in about a week. I'll let you know as soon as it's done. By the way, your icon set looks very nice, but the game is limited to the 16 colors that the tiles currently use (built into the EXE), so you will need to stay within this limitation for your work. Regards, Rich Dionne
quote:

Originally posted by GDS_Starfury: Ive been racking my brain trying to figure how to get this set in the game and replace the entire map with something more visually pleasing. If anyone can help me here please speak up :P
[This message has been edited by Rich Dionne (edited February 19, 2001).]

Post #: 4
- 2/20/2001 2:05:00 AM   
Yogi Yohan

quote:

Originally posted by GDS_Starfury: Hi I was interested in switching out all the map tile graphics used in WiR. I was hopeing someone might be able to shed some light as to how I can do this. Hers what Ive done so far: Hopefully Ill have a com[plete set soon sesonal changes.
Starfury, I do not recognize the tiles you have listed as "old". The swamp, woods, rough and mountain tiles I have in my copy of WIR (2.1) are the same as in the original game. Have I missed something? [This message has been edited by Yogi Yohan (edited February 19, 2001).]

Post #: 5
- 2/20/2001 8:28:00 AM   
Ed Cogburn

quote:

Originally posted by Yogi Yohan: Starfury, I do not recognize the tiles you have listed as "old". The swamp, woods, rough and mountain tiles I have in my copy of WIR (2.1) are the same as in the original game. Have I missed something?
I'm wondering where he got "rough" and "fort" as those terrains do not exist in WiR.

Post #: 6
- 2/20/2001 8:40:00 AM   
Rich Dionne

Another problem with these icon images, they have too much resolution. The WIR icon tiles have only 32 x 24 pixels. As you indicate Ed, the "old" set is clearly not from WIR. It looks more like the Western Front icon set. Rich Dionne [This message has been edited by Rich Dionne (edited February 19, 2001).]

Post #: 7
- 2/20/2001 3:08:00 PM   
GDS_Starfury

ok heres the deal and I certainly hope im not offending anyone or violating some kind of NDA that I am unaware of. One day when I was looking through the 2by3 Games site I ran across the email link asking for graphic artist. Being a artist myself I applied. After some discussion back and forth Mr. Brors asked if I would like to try painting out the WiR map. All I have wanted to do since I was a teenager is make or somehow be involved in making a wargame. Call it love for a hobby I hold dear to me. Unfortunatly my art art skills far exceed my programing skills. Back to the point... Mr. Brors sent me some tools and graphics that had been done to date and as far as I know its for WiR. Again Im not trying to cross a unknown line here. After digging through all this stuff that absolutly confused me I ran across a series of images, the bottom row of tiles. Seeing these my first impulse was to repaint them. Upon doing this Im still left to figure out how to put them back in the game. The communication Ive had with 2by3 has been sporadic due mostly to me having a few personal crisises and having to run my business. I just figured this would be the best place to look for help mostly because by the time Im online and working on this stuff their offices are closed. The help recieved so far is much appricated and I really really hope this explanation doesnt piss off anyone as Im looking at this as possibly my only chance to achieve that boyhood dream.

Post #: 8
- 2/20/2001 6:04:00 PM   
Yogi Yohan

quote:

Originally posted by GDS_Starfury: I really really hope this explanation doesnt piss off anyone as Im looking at this as possibly my only chance to achieve that boyhood dream.
I can't see for my life why anyone would be pissed off. The tiles look great, we just wondered where the original ones are from, since it's not WIR. Although I'm no programmer, it sounds from other posts like it won't be possible to implement your tiles, due to restrictions in game resolution and number of colours. A pity, since the tiles really look fab.

Post #: 9
- 2/20/2001 10:18:00 PM   
RickyB

quote:

Originally posted by GDS_Starfury: ok heres the deal and I certainly hope im not offending anyone or violating some kind of NDA that I am unaware of. One day when I was looking through the 2by3 Games site I ran across the email link asking for graphic artist. Being a artist myself I applied. After some discussion back and forth Mr. Brors asked if I would like to try painting out the WiR map. All I have wanted to do since I was a teenager is make or somehow be involved in making a wargame. Call it love for a hobby I hold dear to me. Unfortunatly my art art skills far exceed my programing skills. Back to the point... Mr. Brors sent me some tools and graphics that had been done to date and as far as I know its for WiR. Again Im not trying to cross a unknown line here. After digging through all this stuff that absolutly confused me I ran across a series of images, the bottom row of tiles. Seeing these my first impulse was to repaint them. Upon doing this Im still left to figure out how to put them back in the game. The communication Ive had with 2by3 has been sporadic due mostly to me having a few personal crisises and having to run my business. I just figured this would be the best place to look for help mostly because by the time Im online and working on this stuff their offices are closed. The help recieved so far is much appricated and I really really hope this explanation doesnt piss off anyone as Im looking at this as possibly my only chance to achieve that boyhood dream.
Sounds great to me that you are working on this - good luck. It sounds like you are working on the new Eastern Front game that 2by3 is working on, which so far has not been tied to Matrix. That is what they would be needing help with, rather than the old WIR. So I would bet the graphics need to go back to 2by3 to integrate from their end. Enjoy it. ------------------ Rick Bancroft Semper Fi

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

Post #: 10
- 2/21/2001 1:32:00 AM   
Rich Dionne

GDS, I think your idea to improve the map tiles is a great one. I just wanted to point out some of the limitations of the graphics within WIR, as I've been wrestling the same issues in the Pacific War upgrade. I'll have an editor up at my website shortly, and I know of at least one other editor development effort, so you should have all kinds of options soon. Regards, Rich

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Replacing map tile graphics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI