Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/20/2004 2:10:32 AM   
BryanMelvin

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I want to add that in today's light-speed world, the fact that Matrix worked on SPWaW over a six-year span, continually adding improvements, is a testament to both the greatness of the game itself and the dedication that the company gave to the fans.

I say this both as a player and later a contributor to what I regard as one of the best wargames of all time. 8.3 is indeed the final patch, but the game will continue to reside on my PC and players will undoubtedly keep the legacy alive for years to come.

It's been a great ride, and I truly believe that the old warhorse has some mileage left in it.

Thank you very much for an outstanding job - Glenn

Your da man!!

I'll email you soon

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 31
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/23/2004 6:32:21 PM   
Mark Ezra

It is, indeed, the end of an era. I have had the good fortune to have been around at the begining...hmmm I actually predate SPWAW and Matrix...seen creative differences and vision divide the SP community into waring tribes...SPWW2 or SPWAW who should you be LOYAL to? Ahhhh...those were the good old days. The great personalties, the firey discord and the resultant decisive split...or am I thinking of my divorce...But for a long time now I have wanted SPWAW to be a finished product. For me that came with MC/SE. I don't mean to suggest that life, as I know it, has ended. Only that the game NOT have future versions. Speaking from my experience as a MC tester I noted very few changes in playability of the game in the last years. The tinkering with OOB and additional whistles and bells were fine but the game was the game, was the game. I'm sure the community will stay active. H2H is a grass roots example that this game retains great appeal and will continue to be played by us all. It is, however, time for Matrix to move on. Let David and the crew spend their time, resources, and energy on a new generation of wargames. So it may not be the end of an era so much as it is the beginning of a grand new time in wargaming for us all.

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 32
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/24/2004 1:58:45 AM   
KG Erwin

Bryan, Mark and other esteemed colleagues, a new chapter is indeed beginning. The "mod" avatar is now officially gone for me, and we, that is, ALL of us are now the caretakers of the SPWaW legacy.

I do express some regret that the community has split, and then split again, over issues relating to the game. Nevertheless, the experience gained and friendships made during the course of this run are treasured, and this more than makes up for some of the difficulties, disagreements and at times strained relationships.

"Never Can Say Goodbye"--indeed, that is true. This forum is and will remain my home for issues relating to SPWaW.

The time for remeniscing and "what might have been" is over. It is time to move forward.

(in reply to Mark Ezra)
Post #: 33
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/27/2004 7:12:22 AM   
Wild Bill

Well, Gunny, I have had this same task in times past and I admire what you have accomplished here. Thankfully you are not leaving this forum. Your input is needed and appreciated.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 34
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/27/2004 7:16:14 PM   
Nikademus

Thx for your efforts KG. They are appreciated, as are the efforts of the entire SP:WAW. Few games received more ongoing support...much less FREE games.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 35
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/28/2004 10:03:59 AM   
David Heath

Hello Everyone

As I am sure most of you know this thread and conference has been a little heated over the last few days. I wanted to let things cool down before I add to it.

First let me once again thank Glenn for the job he did during a tough time here and at times Glenn did get a little carried away on some issues but that should not counter all of his past service.

Second it would seem that many hear think we have a major issue with the SPWaW Depot. I want to address this now once and for all. Bernie (Da Boss) at SPWaW Depot called me a few nights ago and we went over some of these issues.

It has been said that SPWaW Depot is to blame for us not doing any more work on SPWaW and this is not a fair statement from our point of view. We have no personal animosity towards the SPWaW Depot but at the same time we must say that many of us at Matrix have felt a a growing hostility from many of its members. Many the so called facts stated there are just plain wrong or made up. Now the problem with this is that when unchecked these incorrect facts become fact. Many of these issues directly come from miscommunication and people making things up.

Many of these incorrect facts are simple things we can not go into detail about with the public its just that simple. A few just want to beat the horse dead and then jump on it some more. In some cases these gamers seem to think this is where the fun of gaming is. Some of these gamers here and at the SPWaW Depot have been personally called by our staff to discuss and/or explain these issues and still they go on and never bring the whole truth to light. For those with that problem I am sorry we tried but we have no more time to waste with you.

Many have stated this is a cash cow for us... I must almost stop typing so I can laugh . We did it with your help and for the love of it. Yes we made a few (very few) dollars but the real money comes from us making or publishing games not giving them away. Let me also state this before some post this.... YES we know the Mega Campaigns are not free but in the big picture they never sold any real numbers and in fact are one of our smallest units sales.

We did it because we got a real personal joy out of it. Let me say again not that if it was not for Bill Wilder, Brent Richards, Bryan Melvin, Mike Wood, the Mega Campaign Teams and Wild Bill's Raiders none of us would have ever even seen a Mega Campaign. From the bottom of my heart Matrix thanks you all.

So where do we stand today? Matrix Games for the most part is truly done with SPWaW and I can pretty much promise you that it will stay like that. We had offers from other SPWaW community members asking us to let them to carry on the torch. At this point I do not see that happen anytime in the near future but we are not going to lock the door on this just yet.

I am hopeful that our new talks with SPWaW Depot and some of its admins will lead to much more fact driving posts and communication to get the facts when possible. The fact is better communications means a happier SPWaW commuinity.

Let me close this post with saying please do not let any gamer tell you we do not care. We do care and in fact we care a hell of a lot. If you have an issue bring it to us and we do our best to make you happy. For all of you that have support us over the years we once again thank you.

David Heath

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 36
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 12:38:08 AM   
Goblin

David, great post!

I agree with your post. Its great that you took the time to post this, and its appreciated. Communication is the greatest way to counter misbeliefs and animosity from/towards people.

I myself (as most know ) have had strong opinions, and have voiced them. Everything I posted, I believed at the time I posted it. I see now that some of those beliefs were misguided, wrong, or skewed, and I wish they were not posted, but they were. I for one will be a little more careful about things, although I will not stifle my opinion on things either (I don't think you expect people too, not your style).

Anyways, thanks again for taking time with all of us.

Goblin

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 37
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 1:23:44 AM   
KG Erwin

David, thanks for your thoughts, and you hit the nail on the head about me. Yes, I did (and do) sometimes get carried away, but the thing that worked against me was simply my closeness to the projects. Issues that I should have been dispassionate about, as a moderator, often clashed with my personal pride in the work I was doing as a member of the OOB team.

In other words, I was incapable of compartmentalizing the two roles, and this led to some situations that I plainly admit I couldn't handle.

I'll also acknowledge that I should have picked up the phone more often and called you when things got rough. That was my fault, and mine alone.

I fully accept responsibility for my actions and decisions as a moderator, both the good ones and the bad ones. One thing Goblin said about me was right--my personality is too help-oriented (or "nice", as he put it) to be suitable for taking on angry customers and setting them straight.

I stopped having fun with all this, and it showed. Anyway, that's all over with, and all I want is for you guys to not judge me too harshly. David was always honest with me, and was always willing to help me when I asked for it. I didn't always ask, and this is where I fell short.

There is not one iota of hard feelings between me and "The Boss". I have been, and will remain a supporter of Matrix.

Now, a new chapter is beginning. I'm determined to remain active here, to offer tidbits of advice and relate memorable game experiences, or just hang around and shoot the
bull with you guys.

Regards to all,
Glenn

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 38
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 1:58:23 AM   
Alby

Thanks for the post David.

I think maybe a LACK of communication was alot of the problem.
but thats water under the bridge. does not really matter who said what or when.

We thank you all for SPWAW and everyone who ever contributed to it!!!

The depot will try to carry on and improve the game further.
all are welcome to come and join in the current oob project thats going on.

SPWAW ROCKS!!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 39
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 2:05:18 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

SPWAW ROCKS!!

Well, Alby, I offered contributions to SPWaW, and a few to the Depot, but I'm permanently (not a temporary two-week ban) banned from the Depot. Please correct your facts before you start recruiting from the Matrix member list.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 40
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 2:20:22 AM   
Goblin

I don't want to side-track the thread, but Alby should hardly be held accountable for failing to list exceptions to the rule. Everyone is welcome to participate in The Depot's OOB's, except for those that are now uninvited. You may, of course, email me at any time instead of jumping people who had nothing to do with the ban.

Goblin

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 41
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 3:29:32 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

Please correct your facts before you start recruiting from the Matrix member list.

It is happening again. It is happening again.

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 42
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 3:57:12 AM   
BulletMagnet

That a boy Kg stir the pot again and see what happens. Man have you let me down.

"What we do in life,echoes in eternity"

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 43
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 4:49:07 AM   
M4Jess

David,

I thought you locked this thread?

I am ready to get all over Gunny again...and I dont want to....

I want peace and a friendship between the Depot and MG...please lock this thread down.

Jess

Gunny is Banned at the Depot and will remain so

< Message edited by M4Jess -- 10/28/2004 9:54:38 PM >

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to BulletMagnet)
Post #: 44
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 4:52:31 AM   
Goblin

They locked down the other thread, with Les in it.

Goblin

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 45
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 4:55:49 AM   
M4Jess

Gob, as it should be!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 46
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 4:56:19 AM   
Goblin

I agree.

Goblin

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 47
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 5:04:10 AM   
David Heath

Everyone please just stop it. Move on to another subject or just don't come into this thread anymore.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 48
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 5:18:28 AM   
M4Jess

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Everyone please just stop it. Move on to another subject or just don't come into this thread anymore.

David...please please lock this thread...please

Jess

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 49
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 5:31:10 AM   
M4Jess

quote:

ORIGINAL: M4Jess

quote:

Goblin locked the same thread at the Depot.

Jess

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 50
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 5:46:07 AM   
KG Erwin

(in reply to BryanMelvin)
Post #: 51
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 6:06:03 AM   
tracer

quote:

ORIGINAL: M4Jess

quote:

Jess

Jess, its clearly way past your bedtime.....quit bothering the man!

Jim NSB

(in reply to M4Jess)
Post #: 52
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 7:07:12 AM   
chief

Gentlemen'

Push the little green button next to the name(s) you don't want to get comments or replies from.

I did it with some and I really enjoy the peace and quiet, that little button is like the snooze button on my alarm clock, I can hit it or not.

Now I'll go on with my reading and get sleepy and ZZZZZzzzzz zz z z z z

Goblin and Jess get your cotton pickers away from my GREEN button.

< Message edited by chief -- 10/29/2004 12:09:30 AM >

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 53
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 9:37:59 PM   
Alby

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

SPWAW ROCKS!!

Well, Alby, I offered contributions to SPWaW, and a few to the Depot, but I'm permanently (not a temporary two-week ban) banned from the Depot. Please correct your facts before you start recruiting from the Matrix member list.

< Message edited by Alby -- 10/29/2004 2:39:55 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 54
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 10/29/2004 9:59:30 PM   
KG Erwin

(message edited out)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/30/2004 6:53:14 PM >

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 55
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 12/3/2004 11:39:10 PM   
.50Kerry

quote:

Guys, with the release of 8.3, my job is done in this capacity. I'm resigning as forum moderator, but I'll still be around as a gamer and a representative of the OOB Team, and I will try to help answer questions on game play and the changes we made.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Glenn

Good job, and thanks.

"Gunny"

sven

Anchors aweigh!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 56
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 12/8/2004 7:38:25 AM   
Grenadier

Glenn, I have to let you know you have done a wonderful job with the forum. I was a coward and backed out of the job when it was offered to me. It took a lot of courage to take on this task, in it's own way as daunting as designing a megacampaign. SPWaW will live on just like it's board counterparts, Squad Leader and Panzerblitz. Maybe someday SSI will give permission to release the code to the community, until then it remains under the care of Matrix and SP Camo.

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to .50Kerry)
Post #: 57
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 12/9/2004 2:47:38 AM   
KG Erwin

Thank you, Brent. Your acknowledgement is appreciated. Now, I'm simply enjoying the freedom of being able to communicate my ideas and absorb those of my fellow gamers. The community is in fine shape, and no moderator is necessary.

Post #: 58
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 12/17/2004 5:17:44 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Sorry to here this Mr. Erwin, I enjoyed working with you and all the others on the 8.# projects and Im glad that you'll still be around here to kick around! (Just kidding!!!)

KED

Post #: 59
RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator - 12/22/2004 3:20:12 AM   
BlitzSS

just as 52s will continue to serve and DC3s still fly. Long live SPWAW!

"Nuts"

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: I'm Resigning as Moderator Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI