Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Highway to the Reich >> After Action Reports [HTTR] >> A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 9/28/2004 5:17:36 AM   
Rooster

Very small, in fact....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 9/28/2004 8:23:22 AM   
Golf33

Heh, neat.

Steve Golf33 Long

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 2
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 9/28/2004 10:41:35 PM   
JeF

FIN ? Rooster, where are you from ?

Very nice idea BTW. Very cool.

What did you use to make the animated GIF ?

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 3
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 9/29/2004 4:57:45 AM   
Rooster

I'm from Cleveland.

I chose "FIN" because I think of this as an art piece

To create the gif, I used Adobe Image Ready, which shipped with Adobe Photoshop 7.0

Image Ready gives you a lot of flexibility in creating gif and roll-overs. Whatever version of Photoshop is current has Image Ready elements integrated into the main program, I think.

Here's some detail from Frame:1

I chose to split my Paras, sending a Bde-strength group (1800 men) down to secure the rail bridge, and sending another 3000 toward the bridge at Arnhem. The group heading toward the bridge includes the 1st AB Div HQ, the 1st Airlainding Bde HQ, the South Staffords, the King's Own Scottish Borderers, and the 1st Border Btln. Later they'd be joined by the second wave consisting of another 2000 men of the 4th Para Bde, creating a force 5,000 men strong. All of them will either be killed, wounded or enter captivity.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 4
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 10/20/2004 5:28:52 AM   
Rooster

In this screen, it is late on Day 8 and it looks like I could lose this game badly. The rush to the bridge has been stopped short by deadly German artillery. Everyone assembling for the final push across the bridge is getting a good pasting and has lost their drive.

At the bottom of the screen is the Polish 1st Para Bn, recently entering the fray. Where did they drop? I'm not sure, but I order them to take the Arnehm Bridge objective. They have a long march and a tough fight ahead of them. Aggro - Min. Casualties - Max. ROF - Max. What follows could be my favorite moment from the game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 5
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 10/20/2004 5:31:58 AM   
Rooster

The situation at the bridge a few hours later. Still not good. Looks like they are all searching the floors of their vehicles for loose change so they can pay the bridge toll. German artillery pounds them mercilessly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 6
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 10/20/2004 5:34:22 AM   
Rooster

Meanwhile the Polish paras march up the highway only to get stuck in Elst - exchanging fire with the enemy and succumbing to the need for rest. It is day 9. Time is running out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 7
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 10/20/2004 5:40:20 AM   
Rooster

Miraculously, the Poles get moving with all speed, push past the thoroughly exhausted XXX Corp and drive toward the bridge. Company A steps on the bridge - they will take fire but not falter. The Wilts manage to make a push across the bridge but fall back.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rooster -- 10/20/2004 12:21:28 PM >

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 8
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 10/20/2004 5:48:24 AM   
Rooster

It is day 10 and the bridge has been taken. The Polish 1st AB Bn has broken through with little more that sheer courage and heroic disregard for their own safety. Several units from XXX Corp follow. Notice the Irish Guards HQ... not a tank left, they will scramble across any way for a piece of the glory. Soon the Royal Scotts Dragoon Guards will make a concerted push across, take the long way around to the objective and secure it from the rear.... as ordered. I'll get a marginal victory and feel like I won big.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 9
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 10/20/2004 5:55:16 AM   
Rooster

Of course, I did manage to have the British 1st AB wiped out even more completely than Monty did. There were no units surviving that had been sent to secure the Arnhem Bridge objective, and the few remaining units at the rail bridge were seriously depleted.

This near-extinction is due somewhat to playing with Allied supplies set to "less." I think they ran out of ammo and just threw in the towel or were wiped out.

This scenario took over a week to play (an our or so every evening), but I found it to be one of the most rewarding and enjoyable wargaming experiences I've had.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rooster -- 10/19/2004 11:08:33 PM >

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 10
RE: A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign - 10/20/2004 11:39:12 AM   
Golf33

Nice work! The HC is certainly a tough ask for the Allies, as it should be of course.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rooster

At the bottom of the screen is the Polish 1st Para Bn, recently entering the fray. Where did they drop? I'm not sure, but I order them to take the Arnehm Bridge objective. They have a long march and a tough fight ahead of them.

The 1st (Polish) Para Bn was trucked into battle rather than dropped in this operation.

Regards

Steve Golf33 Long

(in reply to Rooster)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Highway to the Reich >> After Action Reports [HTTR] >> A Small AAR from the Historical Campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI