Look and feal

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

kfbaker

Look and feal

Post by kfbaker »

I thing it would be nice to see actual ship minatures on the map for ship icons to add that extra feel. Bit Like Axiss and Allies, but more relfective of the actual ships. ie. Yamamato, Akagi, Yorktown, Lexington etc.
MLWW2

Post by MLWW2 »

Originally posted by kfbaker:
I thing it would be nice to see actual ship minatures on the map for ship icons to add that extra feel. Bit Like Axiss and Allies, but more relfective of the actual ships. ie. Yamamato, Akagi, Yorktown, Lexington etc.
I agree kfbaker
i would like to see some miniatures used in this game you see this in other games like Talonsoft's East, West Front games i would love it if they (Matrix) placed the ships
in this game. I have played PTO2 from Koei
comp. this was a great game in my view but the graphics left much to be desired. I have
waited long enough for a game to be released
on the pacific theater of war. Way to go Matrixgames

Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

The one thing I loved about SSI's Pacific General were the naval units (great profiles of all the ships - you could even click on an aircraft carrier and enter it to choose the planes you wanted to launch) and the naval battles. Give the ships and planes distinct looks (make it fun and enjoyable to look at as well as to play) and sounds.

Use today's technology to give the game great graphics and let the computer handle many of the more mundane aspects of the game (or at least provide options to allow us to choose how much we want to control).

------------------
A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...
Dunedain

Post by Dunedain »

Yeah, I do so love the look of a fine capital ship in detailed profile. Image
If you click on a TF marker it could bring up a window with a nice
profile shot of each ship in the TF (with a status indicator showing
any damage to each ship, if any turrets are knocked out, etc). That'd
be cool. Give it a little of that miniature look. Image
Recon_slith

Post by Recon_slith »

Just a complete bolt from the blue, but how about this?
SSG's Carriers at War has a great ship and aircraft database, combat routines and AI but is beginning to show its age graphicly. Furthermore, I haven't heard of any plans from SSG for a new version. If Matrix had this basis to build on it would be a very large leg up to getting the game much nearer to completion.
Why not have a little chat with the SSG guys? Nothing to lose, eh?

------------------
Wait for Death. There's a choice?
Recon
Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain
sbond

Post by sbond »

A few graphics would be nice, but one reason I never trully enjoyed Talonsoft newest games was because of the silly sounds of trucks and the icons moving around taking forever to get from point a to point b, and making the turn phase way to long. And from the screen shots I seen from the new pacwar it looked really nice. Keep in mind to that in Pacific War you do not see unit move really since most movement is done during the turn phase. Since it is very much a strategic game and not tactical like most of the other games mentioned, single units are not important in the big picture. Just my two yen.
Major Tom

Post by Major Tom »

It depends if implementing flashy graphics will result in cuts (time and effort) made in game-quality, game-realism and game-replayability. Many games do get stuck in this dilemma, and, being a wargame, it doesn't really NEED cool graphics (2D pictures will do) I think that if there is time to incorporate good 3D graphics, but, I would want this to be a priority below that of gameplay.
Dunedain

Post by Dunedain »

I wasn't suggesting 3D graphics at all (perish the thought!). Just nice
2D stuff. Image Don't waste your time with 3D, just make good 2D graphics
and spend the rest of the time on the gameplay, realism, great
interface and detail. Like you said, the gameplay is what counts by
far the most and should get top priority. Also, I wouldn't want to see
the game get delayed significantly just so some fluffy graphics could
be added. This is a strategic-level wargame, not Quake, 3D graphics will
just take time away from far more important things in the game, add
nothing of real value and cause needless delays.

I've seen the pictures of the new map and some of the interface and they
are *gorgeous*. I'm sure the graphics will be fine with the quality level
you already have. We're just thinking out loud about pretty pictures of
cool ships. Image But I'm sure everyone would agree that the game itself is
what counts and we'd like to see it shipped as soon as possible. In fact,
I wish I was playing it now. Image

So, full speed ahead on development! Image

By the way, how have the meetings this past week gone? Will full dev.
begin soon?
Major Tom

Post by Major Tom »

Looking back it appears that I combined multiple posts together and assumed people were out for 3D graphics. My bad!

I TOTALLY agree that the 2D graphics should be very good quality. It would not take too much effort to make these icons look REALLY good. With what they did to the PacWar map, we can all be assured that Ship, Plane, Tank(?) icons will all be of extremely good quality. I could even still live with the old type PacWar Icons, but, why not upgrade them with the rest of the system?
O de B

Post by O de B »

Well, i don't think also 3D is necessary for this game Image
However i noticed that in the 'contact us' part of their website, Matrix left room for a '3D graphic artist' ? So are there plans to make a 3D game here Matrix ?
I don't think there is time enough to make such things for this game but in an average future (say 2-3 years) maybe for making a game that would fill the gap SSI left between Fighting Steel and the upcoming Harpoon IV ?
Something like a 'task force commander' in the pacific WW II theatre ?
Thanks.
sbond

Post by sbond »

That would be great idea! Task Force Commander! I played all of the harpoon games well the 2 of them and enjoyed both, but the entire time I was playing I always wished for a WWII (all respect to the WWII database for HP2 that was made, it just never worked for me) game made up with the same basic ideas of command and control on combat and tactics. Maybe a revamped Carrier Strike?
Von Rom

Post by Von Rom »

I agree with many of the suggestions here: keep the game 2D (Age of Empires is 2D and look at those graphics - wow!).

I'm looking forward to this game... Image

------------------
A King Tiger can give you a definite edge...

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”