SIGINT

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Zorfwaddle

SIGINT

Post by Zorfwaddle »

Playing Scen 15 as the Allies, Japanese AI.

Every once in a while, in my SIGINT report, I get reports of transmissions from places like Vancouver, Brisbane, etc. Are my HYPO guys actually detecting possible enemy units in those areas (subs, enemy agents, etc) or are they just accidently DF'ing the wrong xmissions?

The world wonders,
"AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m****rf****r in the room. Accept no substitutes." Ordell Robbie - "Jackie Brown"
Platoonist

RE: SIGINT

Post by Platoonist »

I was wondering the same thing. Radio transmissions from Prince Rupert, Canada? Are Japanese agents smuggling out salmon? [:D]
Zorfwaddle

Post by Zorfwaddle »

Oh yeah... I got one from there also... sent out the resident MSW on an ASW patrol.. no joy.

Regards,
"AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every m****rf****r in the room. Accept no substitutes." Ordell Robbie - "Jackie Brown"
52nd Lowland

Post by 52nd Lowland »

Yep i was ready to launch by B17s just in case the a Sneaky Japanese task force had sailed without detection....better safe than sorry [:D]
Sneer

Post by Sneer »

It would be much more useful if structure of this info was given in another way
If sb plans operation i.e. at Gilbert Isl he should have access to last sigint info about this localisation. Now player need to remember everything
52nd Lowland

Post by 52nd Lowland »

Yeah i thought about that too...if you get sigint about a location it would be nice to get that info in the report for that hex.

Attachments
b_dauntless_rising.jpg
b_dauntless_rising.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 247 times
Zorfwaddle

Post by Zorfwaddle »

bump
SunDevil_MatrixForum

Post by SunDevil_MatrixForum »

It was mentioned that some are false reports, in other words phantom movements. Other people have said that in order to get a real good idea of what movement is happening, is to watch for a week and compare the results for that week and you will get a good picture of movement and destination. If playing the ai, people have said you can ignore this feature, whereas playing PBEM, people have intercepted and ambushed different landing forces and naval TFs by reading these messages. Hope this helps.
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.
dtravel

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: SunDevil

It was mentioned that some are false reports, in other words phantom movements. Other people have said that in order to get a real good idea of what movement is happening, is to watch for a week and compare the results for that week and you will get a good picture of movement and destination. If playing the ai, people have said you can ignore this feature, whereas playing PBEM, people have intercepted and ambushed different landing forces and naval TFs by reading these messages. Hope this helps.

I disagree about ignoring the SigInt report when playing against the AI. In my game against the Japanese AI I have scored an important naval victory by reading it and gained what I believe is important information about coming attacks.
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

von Murrin

Post by von Murrin »

SigInt is invaluable. The most difficult part is getting used to making mental approximations for the x,y coordinates of transmission detections.
I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!
SunDevil_MatrixForum

Post by SunDevil_MatrixForum »

I stand corrected then. [:)]
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.
DJAndrews

Post by DJAndrews »

I've found the SIGINT to be very unreliable against the AI when dealing with the specific troop strength estimates. They are typically +/- 100% and I've yet to encounter a case where there were not at least double the number of troops present when you finally invade.

It seems to be more accurate in estimating the number of units and their names and this can be used to 'guess' at troop strength. It is also useful in detecting unspotted enemy TFs based on radio traffic but it is a real nuisance having to look up coordinates to see if its a sea hex or not. It would be nice if the SIGINT officers had the smarts to 'edit ' the list and get rid of all the signals from yur own TFs (90 % of the traffic).
Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn »

The SIGINT on the Japanese side is worthless, at least in the first half of 1942. I don't know if it gets better or not later. As it is now, I've stopped looking at the reports entirely. [:(]
Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

In my PBEM game have also been getting radio transmissions from Vancouver. Since my opponent lives in Vancouver, just assumed it was Ed commnicating with his forces as he plans the end of our way of life.

ORIGINAL: Zorfwaddle

Playing Scen 15 as the Allies, Japanese AI.

Every once in a while, in my SIGINT report, I get reports of transmissions from places like Vancouver, Brisbane, etc. Are my HYPO guys actually detecting possible enemy units in those areas (subs, enemy agents, etc) or are they just accidently DF'ing the wrong xmissions?

The world wonders,
hithere

Post by hithere »

i pretty much do not even bother with radio stuff...i look for "so-n-so reg is abount to attack rangoon" or for specific units and ships.....it has paid off a couple times....like i got a mess saying a large japanese div (30th) was about to attack rangoon...i knew the appx size of it from prev battles and was able to re-enforce and drive it back
Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”