Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game AI - 7/14/2004 8:01:16 AM   
PlacidDragon

Hi all :)

Just thought i'd ask about the games AI, as it uhm...doesnt exactly seem to be the fastest horse in the barn to put it that way

What it looks like to me (i've seen several examples of this, so i imagine thats how it is), is that the AI sets itself a goal, and then rigidly pursues *that* goal, and to hell with anything else.

Is there no adaptability / re-evaluation measures whatsoever in the AI of the game ?

To give an example :

Im playing the grand campaign as Japan on AI level hard. After not seeing the enemy carriers since the game start, i took Lunga (someone said that would draw them out), and it sure did. After a short furious battle, the american carriers lost most of their planes and withdrew. The Enterprise took two torpedoes, and limped towards home with 40 percent flood damage. Here comes the problem (to confirm, i loaded up as the allies to doublecheck).

Problem 1. The american carrier taskforce (Enterprise and Lexington, with a ton of support ships) withdrew towards Auckland. The taskforce didnt have enough fuel to get there however, and now sits with 0 fuel in the middle of the ocean (probably waiting for a replenishment TF from somewhere. I didnt check for one, so they might sit there forever, hehe).

Problem 2. Each consecutive turn, the Enterprise's flood damage increased by around 10, but she stubbornly continued to steam towards Auckland (portsize 6). It was glaringly obvious that she would sink *well* before she ever got there, and as a second consideration, she didnt have enough fuel to get there in the first place.

My "problem", is that both carriers steamed right past Noumea (also portsize 6) to get to Auckland. There are 16 hexes between Lunga and Noumea, so possible airstrikes against the port might have had an influence (i've never bombed Noumea, just to get that out of the way...lol), but the carrier couldnt possibly make it anywhere else without sinking.

I guess what im asking is if the AI is so ridicilously rigid that when it sets a goal, it pursues it no matter the cost, and no matter what happens underways ?
Post #: 1
RE: Game AI - 7/14/2004 8:03:43 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: PlacidDragon

Hi all :)

Just thought i'd ask about the games AI, as it uhm...doesnt exactly seem to be the fastest horse in the barn to put it that way

What it looks like to me (i've seen several examples of this, so i imagine thats how it is), is that the AI sets itself a goal, and then rigidly pursues *that* goal, and to hell with anything else.

Is there no adaptability / re-evaluation measures whatsoever in the AI of the game ?

To give an example :

Im playing the grand campaign as Japan on AI level hard. After not seeing the enemy carriers since the game start, i took Lunga (someone said that would draw them out), and it sure did. After a short furious battle, the american carriers lost most of their planes and withdrew. The Enterprise took two torpedoes, and limped towards home with 40 percent flood damage. Here comes the problem (to confirm, i loaded up as the allies to doublecheck).

Problem 1. The american carrier taskforce (Enterprise and Lexington, with a ton of support ships) withdrew towards Auckland. The taskforce didnt have enough fuel to get there however, and now sits with 0 fuel in the middle of the ocean (probably waiting for a replenishment TF from somewhere. I didnt check for one, so they might sit there forever, hehe).

Problem 2. Each consecutive turn, the Enterprise's flood damage increased by around 10, but she stubbornly continued to steam towards Auckland (portsize 6). It was glaringly obvious that she would sink *well* before she ever got there, and as a second consideration, she didnt have enough fuel to get there in the first place.

My "problem", is that both carriers steamed right past Noumea (also portsize 6) to get to Auckland. There are 16 hexes between Lunga and Noumea, so possible airstrikes against the port might have had an influence (i've never bombed Noumea, just to get that out of the way...lol), but the carrier couldnt possibly make it anywhere else without sinking.

I guess what im asking is if the AI is so ridicilously rigid that when it sets a goal, it pursues it no matter the cost, and no matter what happens underways ?

Welcome to the "Death Spiral" bug.

(in reply to PlacidDragon)
Post #: 2
RE: Game AI - 7/14/2004 8:06:19 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

And to the dev team. Solve the "Death Spiral bug" and you guys will have solved a fundemental computer wargaming AI problem that has tainted PC wargame AI's for over 20 years!

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 3
RE: Game AI - 7/14/2004 8:36:58 AM   
SunDevil

Ships still move one hex a turn, even with fuel at 0

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Game AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI