It's a disgrace

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Samsonite

It's a disgrace

Post by Samsonite »

Why would company buy rights for a game and then just leave it? I haven't heard any news about WiF-Computer Game for ages. Why don't Matrix sell the rights on to somebody who would really do something? WiF is one of the best strategy games in the world, so I think it's a dicgrace to not publish it and keep the fans waiting.
paullus99

RE: It's a disgrace

Post by paullus99 »

Wow, that's a very judgemental post based on very little actual, factual information.....a game as complicated as WiF could take years to get right - have patience for pete's sake....
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

I wouldnt worry about. WiF is in very good hands with matrix. It might take its time but in the end they most likely will deliver a superb product.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Samsonite, when they brought in the game, everyone KNEW it was not coming out tomorrow or the day after or the day after (repeat for 5 minutes or so at least).

It has already languished for several YEARS prior to arriving here, and that is because the literal translation of a complex major board game at the grand strategy level as a faithful representation of the original is not anyone's idea of a simple task.

It was likely easier to design War in the Pacific from nothing.

If you actually KNOW someone with the skill you think would make releasing this game a simple matter, I strongly suggest you get them to email Matrix Games officially. It might make them quite popular eh.

Otherwise, I would not assume Matrix Games is "cruelly sitting on a game, someone else could be doing".

If I had no restrictions on funds, and I was given control of the project, I would merely bring it back here, add my name to the credits, and assume the guys would smile more on coffee breaks.
But I doubt it would increase the speed dramatically.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Hirsch

Post by Hirsch »

At leat they have put up a website which promises that more information will be available soon. Four years ago in the Internet industry this would have been enough to raise large sums of venture capital ;-)

Honestly, I can only agree with what's been said before: the concept/title/brand is in good hands at Matrix. It might take a while until it hits the stores (and I'm awaiting it as eagerly as any of you), but that's just the way software development goes. Sounds prosaic, but most bottom lines do ...
DoomedMantis

Post by DoomedMantis »

Im expecting years, but it would be nice to get more regular updates. We a re easily pleased as long as we know that something is being done.
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Sadly, yes sadly, some games are just not going to appear soon.

Asking for regular updates though will not accomplish anything.

At best, if I was on the team working on this one, I would be inclined to say draw straws and pick the member who gets to come onto the forum and say something that says nothing merely to have made the appearance of having come and said something.

World in Flames was made yeeeeeeeeeears ago. It's not like the game is being created from nothing. But making a board game into a computer game is not always what you would call "easy".

If it was, I would already own several computer versions of board games that are dozens of times more "wargame" than most computer wargames out there.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

There are quite a few games coming out that ought to keep you busy for some time anyway....Empires in Arms, Guns of August, World at War, and Strategic Command 2....granted, none of these will be coming out "tomorrow" either, but they will be out alot sooner than Wif and should occupy your faculties of concentration for quite some time!
tiredoftryingnames

Post by tiredoftryingnames »

A disgrace? You mean like posting something not based on fact. When they took it over David posted that they had the code and had turned it over to the programmer and it would be months just for him to go through the code figuring out what the prior programmer had done. From there it would have to be tweaked, fixed and finished. Add to that the art, sound and everything else. It's not easy picking up someone else's mess especially with programming where there are many styles and ways to do the same thing. On top of that from what I know from following WIF before the code is probably a mess. I'm sure we'll start getting information when the programmer assigned has sorted through the code and is actually starting on moving forward with the project. To say that it's been shelved when you have no idea how many hours the programmer has been sifting through the code is pretty lame. Maybe you should buy the rights and show us how it's done properly and get the code finished in no time.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

And if I'm not mistaken, aren't they looking to have this game released with an AI for solo play?...If that's accurate, then that will be one hell of a bear to tame on a game of this scale....
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

The more I look at it, the more it seems Samsonite might have only come in to start off a thread that was doomed to end up looking like this.

It is actually surpising he hasn't been burned alive yet :)

It would be nice if he at least said something other than his initial post though.

I put it to you Samsonite, why does a person register on a forum, and then lead off with posts that anyone could easily describe as impolite or potentially hostile?

Your current post record is the only real disgrace.
Mziln

Post by Mziln »

WARNING: Quotes Edited by Mziln
ORIGINAL: Samsonite

Why would company buy rights for a game and then just leave it? I haven't heard any news about WiF-Computer Game for ages. Why doesn’t Matrix sell the rights on to somebody who would really do something? WiF is one of the best strategy games in the world, so I think it's a disgrace to not publish it and keep the fans waiting.
ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

To say that it's been shelved when you have no idea how many hours the programmer has been sifting through the code is pretty lame. Maybe you should buy the rights and show us how it's done properly and get the code finished in no time.

Samsonite:

(Q) Why would company buy rights for a game and then just leave it?
(A) The list is very long and range from:
(Good) Wanting to provide a superior product after all our company reputation is involved.
to...
(Bad) So our company can eliminate similar products.

tiredoftryingnames:

Having been a programmer/programmer analyst/programmer consultant for 15 years (in both production programing and program maintence). I feel I can judge how long it takes to sift through the code.

The rule for alloted time required for any programing change is always the same. It should never exceed the amount of time required to write the original program.

Matrix will be at Origins. If you go ask them about the state of CWiF there. Then post your response here. If I was one of the Matrix staff planning to be at Origins. I would be preparing for Q&A (Questions & Answers). Especialy since there are so few TBS (Turn Based System) games with release dates.

I prefer to wait and have them get the game right. Rather than be disapointed with what might have been.

[:D] After all, I've been waiting since version 3.3 anyway. [:D]
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

It seems Samsonite is burdened with alot of baggage....[:'(]
tiredoftryingnames

Time for the gorilla test.
mavraam

Post by mavraam »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

And if I'm not mistaken, aren't they looking to have this game released with an AI for solo play?...If that's accurate, then that will be one hell of a bear to tame on a game of this scale....

That's exactly what I was thinking when I first saw this post. The AI for this game will be brutally hard to program.

I could almost see releasing a non-AI version first then developing that as a second release.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Old discussion (the AI business).

Me I PLAN to play this solo, just haven't got that sort of time open to play it PBEM.

AI is not required, I PLAN to play it hotseat me vs me if I have to.

But I am a diehard grognard and I can accept that.

Releasing a game with no AI in today's world is a death sentence I guess. Just not enough Les the Sarge types to make the effort worth the effort. No money in it.

So inevitably it will need and get an AI.

Might be adequate, must suck. Personally I could care less, I won't be playing the AI. But I will still have to wait as long as it takes for the programmer to make one that satisfies him regardless.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Well I played A3R and many other games solo all the time, so I would not have a problem playing a hotseat solitaire game of WiF....but we of the "old school" were weaned on such game play going back to the Tactics II - Kriegspeil days....for a new gaming audience however, having a viable AI will make it more marketable and that potential sales number cannot be ignored....
tiredoftryingnames

The key to playing solo is a bad memory. That way you can surprise yourself with a sneak attack.
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

The key to playing solo is a bad memory. That way you can surprise yourself with a sneak attack.

[:D]
DoomedMantis

Post by DoomedMantis »

You'd have this one covered then[;)]

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

Return to “World in Flames”