Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WitP FAQ

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> WitP FAQ Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WitP FAQ - 5/2/2004 5:53:37 AM   
Kid

As I find questions in the threads, I will post them here along with the answers provided. I will keep this thread locked so it does not get out of control. Maybe I will eventually get around to putting it into some kind of order.

I've decided to add new update to teh top of the page so everone does not have to scroll through the entire list evertime. 7/9/04

Q - Are the "Special Rules" the only rules that affect the PBEM staring conditions (i.e like we have in UV under "Japanese Submarine Ops ON/OFF", "Ship Commitment %" that determine PBEM and once set can not be changed)?

A - No these rules are in effect all the time

Q - But, are there any other PBEM options that are selected ON/OFF (i.e. like we have in UV and I descirbed above)?

A - There will be several - Auto Build On/Off sets all bases to expand (airfields, ports, fortifications), Accept replacmets On/Off, Upgrade On/Off and maybe others.

Q - What does "amphibious value" mean for ships? What effect does it have?

A - This represents how efficient they are at landing troops. It affects the amount of disruption your troops will get when landing.

Q - If the British ships have been sunk, do you still lose political point for not being able to send them back? If you don't, you may as well use them as "rogue elephants". If you do, than you had better get them out of the action immediately.

A - If you mean what if all your ships are sunk it will not ask for a type that is unavailable. So if you've gotten spanked and have no warships left then it should never ask to send them back. IF it asks for a BB and you have 1 and it gets sunk in route then you're losing the Political Points at the end of the month unless you get lucky and get a new BB in theatre and can send it right back.

Q - Is this a one off payment/forfiet of political points for those ships or do you keep loosing points every month until you do send them back ?

A - All withdrawals are per month. If it asks to send ships back you have the rest of that month to send them back. If you don't you lose the points. The next month there is a new withdrawal generated and it starts all over. Losing the points the previous month has no bearing. Keep in mind you're not going to be dealing with this every month. I check on the 1st to see if any are there but it's random and more than likely you'll not have a request. It'll just say none. I've played several games where the first withdrawal wasn't until March and only once have I seen back to back withdrawals. But that was when it first went in. I think the code changed since then because it was happening too often. I haven't seen the British get sapped of strength with this rule as you can always spend the points to keep them.

Q - I thought that the Allies did a lot of troop movements in the early part of 1942 while trying to first bring troops into the DEI, then trying to get them out. Are you saying that the troops that are there are stuck in their bases? What about movement between bases?

A - They can move in-between bases that have a land route. You just can not load them on ships or air transport. There are enough ships in the PI to move the entire allied army out on the first turn. This is not realistic and would never have been allowed politically in real life. This is a way to limit the players from using historical knowledge that in the real world would not have been available. I also believe it make for a more exciting game. now you have to make some hard choices, who to save and who to sacrifice.

Q - Are political points expended to "activate" an LCU, as was the case in Pacwar? What about LCU movement - in Pacwar if you had enough "points" (what was the term in Pacwar anyway?) you could move an LCU with minimal loss of readiness, but if you didn't, the LCU would lose most of its readiness.

A - No

Q - Also, do you expend political points to move units between bases controlled by the same HQ? E.G. moving troops or planes between different bases in the Phillipines.

A - No, you spend them to reassign units, bases, and air groups to different HQs, or to reassign leaders.

Q - When you change the HQ for a base, do the units in the base automatically now belong to the new HQ, or do they stay part of their old HQ.

A - They keep thier original HQ.

Q - Do you have to change the HQ of LCUs that you send to different bases to match the base HQ, or do the troops remain part of their original HQ? E.G., if you send some Auzzie troops to Timor, do they stay under Australian command or do they go to ABBA?

A - They keep thier original HQ. The only way to change is to use PPs.

Q - If you divide a unit into A, B and C sub units it can never receive replacements?. The player will have to re-combine the sub units to get them?

A - No, A/B/C units are not considered sub units. They should have their own TOE (1/3 of full unit TOE) and they will try to keep to that TOE. Sub units are the /1, /2 units.

Q - Is there a first turn load rule? I've noticed that even the US on the first turn gets to instantaneously load troops and supplies. All ships load out to 100%.

A - All players get this on turn 1 of all scenarios.

Q - The message delay settings have odd values. It use to be in increments of .5 and start at .5. It still in increments of .5, but you are offset by one. The settings are .6, 1.1, 1.6, 2.1 so on and so forth.

A - A left mouse click increases or decreases the value by 1.0 and a right mouse click increases or decreases by 0.1.

Q - Is there a Port size limit to filling up AVGAS/Ammo?

A – No

Q- Are the number of A-bombs limited to only two?

A - I think they can built

Q - Are both Fat man and Little boy modeled?

A- They are generic

Q - How do you order a Atomic bomb Strike?

A- You have to use the City attack option, no naval attack.

Q - Is it a B-29 Mission?

A- A-bombs may only be dropped by the 393rd NBS unit (B-29s)

Q - Can the Plane flying Atomic Bomb Strikes be shot down?

A - Yes

Q- Does the bomb have to be dropped on a city or can it be droped on a naval taskforce?

A- You have to use the City attack option, no naval attack.

Q- Is there a polictical point cost to drop one?

A - No

Q - What amount of Damage does the Bomb do?

A- A lot

Q - I know we can replace "bad" leaders with Political Points, but if we choose not to, will those leaders gain experience and possibly increase their ratings? Also, I know units can "train up" for operations, but how do they gain experience beyond that? By winning fights or just being involving in combat?

A- Yes they can and do.

Q - Can one of the playtesters explain how to destroy or heavily damage an oilfield or heavy industry location before it is captured?

A- First of all you actually do not destroy anything you damage it so that it stops producing and then the player must expend supply points to effect repairs to get production going again.

If you are specifically asking if the Allied player can pre damage his own HI and resources at a base prior to capture, then no you can not.

Any damage that is done to bases occurs at the time the base is captured, as your forces are retreating or surrendering or being destroyed your engineers are blowing things up to cause damage. One misconception I have seen mentioned here many times is that the player must sacrifice his engineers to cause damage. Unlike UV nearly every unit in WiTP has an engineer component as part of its TOE, so there are already engineers present at every base if it is defended as well as additional independent engineer units in separate units that you may or may not elect to move into a base to help increase the damage. Simply put the more engineers in a base when it is captured the more damage inflicted on HI and resources when it is captured.

I have captured some bases that were totally useless to me as the Japanese player for a long time due to huge amount of damage inflicted; the engineers will also inflict damage on the airfield and port when the base falls.

Q - Does basing carrier aircraft on land bases cost political points?

A- No

Q - Is it true that if an air unit other than the native air unit is on a CV it will suffer higher op loses?

A- The rule specifies that the carrier group must be native to being deployed on a carrier, not to a specific carrier. Thus a "native" airgroup would be any VF, VB or VT airgroup that starts service on a carrier.

Q - How does the player tell if a base is non malarial or not?

A- Lower left corner of base display screen will show what zone it is, example "Temperate Zone" means fair climate, no malaria....."Malarial Zone" means just that and units, (LCU's and airgroups can suffer fatigue and morale issues if left there too long)

Q - Okay, I must be missing something here, because I cannot get my dutch air transport squadrons to move any troops. I first changed a base unit to SE Asia Hq, one that is certainly within range of the Lodestar unit, and it would not allow me to choose either Troop Transport or Pick up troops. I then changed the Lodestar unit to SE Asia Hq as well, thinking that might be the trouble. No joy.

A- This is one of the compromises we had to make in the game. Because the Dutch units are not allowed to leave their area until you use PP to reassign them to a new HQ, you cannot transport them by sea or air. This will not be change because of the amount of code it would to ensure you did not move troops out of restricted areas. Sorry.

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 7/27/2004 5:38:46 AM >

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 1
RE: WitP FAQ - 5/2/2004 5:57:53 AM   
Kid

Q - What scenarios are provided with the game.

A - Here's what we plan at release:

1 Tutorial
2 Rising Sun: 7 Dec 41 - 16 Mar 42
3 Coral Sea: 1 May 42 - 15 May 42
4 South Pacific (Hypothetical): 1 May 42 - 28 Feb 42
5 Guadalcanal: 4 Aug 42 - 7 Feb 43
6 Marianas: 6 Jun 44 - 29 Aug 44
7 Manchuria: 8 Aug 45 - 31 Aug 45
8 The First Year: 7 Dec 41 - 31 Dec 42
9 The Turning Point: 1 May 42 - 30 Sep 43
10 Campaign 45: 1 Jan 45 - Jun 30 46
11 Campaign 44: 1 Jun 44 - Jun 30 46
12 Campaign 43: 1 Jun 43 - Jun 30 46
13 Campaign 42A: 1 May 42 - Jun 30 46
14 Campaign 42B: 1 Aug 42 - Jun 30 46
15 The War in the Pacific: 7 Dec 41 - Jun 30 46

Scenarios 8-15 are full map with production. Scenarios 2-7 are small map without production.

I fully expect that given the power and relative ease of use of the editor (although it is a lot of data to push) that there will be many more scenarios made, and that some of them will be posted as official scenarios for download. There may even be some of those avaiable for download by the time the game is ready for sale.

Q - Can someone tell me how big the whole map is in hex? (Ie: 200x100 hex size etc.)

A - 148 X 148 60NM hexes

Q - Is there a campaign that runs the whole war from Dec 7 1941 till end 1946. Covering the whole map?

A - The longest full map scenario is scenario 15 which runs from December 7 1941 to March 31 1946

< Message edited by Kid -- 6/4/2004 11:53:13 AM >

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 2
Victory Conditions/Points - 5/4/2004 5:40:41 AM   
Kid

Q - If you cut off a Japanese base, do you get VP's for the losses they incur because they are out of supply, as they "wither on the vine"?

A - Yes all losses are accounted for.

Q - I guess the follow up question is whether the Japanese player will receive victory points for owning the bases that have been bypassed and unsupplied, or will they be reduced somehow?

A - They would still get the VPs.

Q - Would they get less points if the base is out of supply?

A - Supply has no bearing on base ownership or the VP handed out for such. Take it back or Japan continues to get the points. Each side has a VP value in the database (ie: Tokyo = 1 for Japan, 500 for Allies)

< Message edited by Kid -- 5/31/2004 4:06:09 PM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 3
Naval Reinforcements - 5/6/2004 6:35:40 PM   
Kid

kid note

Q - How are naval reinforcements in partial map scenarios dealt with?
same as in UV? Do you have more control?

A - Similar to UV, but without the dreaded "chance" of getting it back ... you get what you get ... period. Ships sent for repairs will come back.

Q - In UV if you returned a ship to Pearl or Tokyo, (In this case to the UK or whatever) you had a chance to get another. For instance, I always returned Long Island as soon as it appeared. Now, if as the Brits I return the Rodney, a pretty useless BB, Does it improve my chances of receiving a possibly better BB or another ship, or are the replacements hard coded?

A - The whole ship allotment thing does not exist. Ships show up when they are due and remain until sunk apart from a few Brits getting sent home when asked for.
Get used to the idea of controlling hundreds of ships at once.

Q - In one of the AAR's, it was stated that ships disbanding in a port with a repair facility ships will start upgrades automaticaly if upgrades are availablity. Is this true?

A - Upgrades happen when sticking your ship in a port (generally size 10) with a repair yard. (Japan home islands, Singapore, Diamond Harbor, Pearl Harbor, West Coast ports, Sydney, Bombay, Columbo, Hong Kong)

Q - Does EACH ship of a class need to be upgraded, or just one ?

A - Ships are independant. Damage added from an upgrade is not going to sink you.

Q - So you can lose a ship to an upgrade by accident if you're not careful correct ?

A - Yes

Q - BTW, are there any upgrades for AKs and APs ?

A - Yes

Q - Do the ships have to be in port for a turn before being upgraded ? Or just in port for a second ? Also, I'm assuming docked ships will not be upgraded ?

A - Upgrade happens when the turn runs. You can mess all you want until hitting end turn.

Q - Is there an advantage to sending ships already damaged for upgrades? Is the upgrade damage always add onto the existing damage? or does it say only increase it to a threshold?

A - Upgrades *add* SYS damage. You don't get a discount for already being damaged.

Q - I know we can convert AKs into all sorts of neat stuff (like ARs). How does the game know which class of AR, or sub tender, or other ship to convert it into? Is there only one, generic, AR class? One per side? Or, do we get to pick?

A - It has a generic class for each type of conversion.

Q - Can the game start out with these converted or do we have to wait 180 days?

A - PRINT THIS OUT - REMINDER: TURN #1 Do not forget to convert ships!

< Message edited by Kid -- 8/27/2004 2:37:47 AM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 4
Questions About First Turn - 5/11/2004 1:40:04 AM   
Kid

Q - If you play PBEM and use either historical first turn, or allow the japanese player to do his own first turn, does it basically run the first turn without the Allied player doing anything ? Basically, is it like PacWar was on turn 1 ?

A - If you use historical 1st turn on then there is no input from either side. If i is off both sides can move.

You can use house rules to vary this as well. Historical first turn off - house rule US player does not move etc..

Q - Do the Japanese recieve the limited supply of 1,760 lb. AP bombs(modified 16" BB shells according to my sources) that the Kates used in the first wave of attack at Pearl Harbor? Is this a one time bonus? and is it limited to a Pearl Harbor attack only?

A - There is a Realism Option that allows the player to simulate the First Turn Surprise rule. This rule simulates this in an abstract way.

Q - Could the first turn move rule allow the ijn to attack the west coast?

A - No.

< Message edited by Kid -- 6/15/2004 1:34:44 AM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 5
Production Questions - 5/11/2004 1:45:35 AM   
Kid

Q In my current PBEM game I have taken Yenen and Changsha both. According to the prewar information they both should have 180 HI, 3 Manpower and resources. After I took the cities, the manpower dropped to 2 (better than what the manual said it would be, but ok) the resource production was damaged some (but max still the same) and the max HI was cut in half exactly at both bases - 90 HI max at each base now. Some of the HI is damaged as well, but the max is cut in half. Any idea what happened ?

A Manual section 13.2.5 Capturing Industry says that HI is reduced by half each time it's captured. So if the Nationalists get it back, they'll have even less than you've got now. Is this what you were looking for?

Q I presume that "Manpower" means targeting people in a city rather than a specific industry. Are there victory point for killing people as was the case in PACWAR?

A Any production items that are destroyed (only via fire bombing or A-bombs) will score strategic points, including killing manpower.

Q - I was wondering if one (or more) of the Beta testers can give us some information on the costs and time involved in expanding Japanese industries.

A - Factory expansion costs 10 HI+10 Man per point + 100 supply. Repairing costs 1000 supply

Q - What kinda time is involved though? (curious) 3 months per point for example?

A - Expansion is instant but the new section is damaged ... repairs a point a day (ie: 40 point = 40 days, 250 points = 250 days)

Q - If new industry starts damaged, how many damage points does it start wtih?

A - You expand by 100 which is instantly built but starts off all damaged.

You repair 1 per day for 100 days. Until the point is undamaged, it does nothing.

day 1: 100+100 damaged
day 2: 101+99 damaged
day 3: 102+98 damaged

Q - So that is for all industry ? Aircraft, Vehicle, Ship, etc...

A - Thats for all industry thats for all industry

Q - Then I have no clue how aircraft and such are produced. Can someone explain this ? I thought there would be factories like in PacWar where they produce X amount of planes per turn, but this can't be the case if you can expand once and get 100 more planes per turn.

A - Short answer: Heavy Industry feeds factorys. Factories make parts. Parts make planes and units and ships.

Q - Mandaly is an inland city that produces and stores Oil. How is this oil transported and used in the game?

A - Rangoon pulls the stored oil and resources to its port. That is part of the Rangoon production set. Loosing Rangoon is a bad thing!

Q - I'm assuming increasing this will speed up the arrival of new aircraft models ? Is there any way to control which models arrive earlier ? Like put more into new fighters or new bombers ?

A - The Japanese player has complete control over what planes he wishes to produce/research so you can devote factories to said research but you'll be taking away current production to do it.

Q - My question is : In palembang there is 700 oils, how many oils per day is produce and ready to be ship?

A - 1 oil kicks out 6 oil units + 1 fuel unit so thats 4,200 oil a day and 700 fuel a day.

This of course assumes that you get it undamaged.

Japanese TK's come in two sizes: 16,000 and 9,000.

Basically 8 large TK's a month need to be cycled through the place. One also needs to keep in the back of your head that it takes *time* to get there and back and your ships use fuel while getting there and back.

< Message edited by Kid -- 7/9/2004 1:30:12 PM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 6
Questions on Air Combat/Units - 5/11/2004 6:58:25 PM   
Kid

Q - I want to upgrade to a bunch of A6M3's I have spare. The problem is that the only upgrade option I am given for them is to upgrade to A6M5's, somethng that isnt even out of development stage yet and wont be ready for over 12 months, 7 months after the scenario is finished!

A - The upgrade paths are historical in nature. The A6M2 & A6M3 were not grouped together. The A6M5 replaces both of them when it comes around.

Q - I notice that some allied a/c have no build rates.
So Boomerang II, Beaufighter Mk.21, A-36A Apache, B-26G and B-17G.
Are the factories change later or.....?

A - Yes, this is because of the factory upgrades. The production build rate will appear when there are factories upgraded to build those planes. I misunderstood your initial report.

Q - I am planning a mod to fill in some of the missing OOB aspects in WitP. I have a question about HQs.

I am planning to attach most air groups to their historic air HQs, and before I go and do all this work, I am wondering if this will affect the AIs ability to use these air groups? Does the AI utilize aircraft in a theatre based upon their attachment to a specific land based HQ (i.e., uses aircraft in the SW Pacific if attached to SW Pacific) and what happens if I attach the aircraft to an air HQ (i.e., do aircraft attached to 5th Air Force fight in the same theatre as SW Pacific?) what will happen

A - It will hurt the AI and the human player as well, air units (actually all units) need to be attached to a theater command for supply and replacement purposes. The Air HQ only benefit the number of planes that can get into the air (combat effects)

Q - Does pilot exp play a bigger role in air-2-air combat in WITP than it does in UV?

A - Experience does play a greater role in the calculations.

Q - What is the level of experience of the pilots, by nation, when they arrive?

A - Pilot Experience by Nation - The following applies for those 0 groups by year (41, 42,43,44,45,46). V6.2

{65,60,55,50,45,40}, // JA
{80,75,60,45,40,40}, // JN
{70,70,75,75,75,75}, // USN
{55,55,60,65,70,70}, // USA
{55,60,60,65,65,65}, // USMC
{55,60,60,65,65,65}, // AUS
{55,55,60,60,65,65}, // NZ
{55,60,60,65,70,70}, // BRIT
{55,60,60,65,65,65}, // FR
{55,60,60,65,65,65}, // DUT
{45,45,45,50,50,55}, // CHI
{55,60,60,65,75,75}, // SOV
{50,55,60,60,65,65}, // IND
{50,55,60,60,65,65}, // CW
{50,55,60,60,65,65}, // PHIL
{50,55,60,60,65,65}, // COMM
{55,60,60,65,70,70}, // CAN

Q - Is the appearance of the proximity fuse during the war for US and Allied AA guns modeled in WitP?

A – Yes, the proximity shell factor begins in early 1943 and becomes fully enabled by Oct 1943. It does have a substantial effect on Allied AA.

Q - If put you a non cv capable squadern on a cv and set it to training, will it eventualy become cv capable?

A – No, its hard coded

Q - Have any changes been made to the "Disband" and "Withdraw" options for airgroups? Do returning airgroups still return even when there are no aircraft for them airgroups with 0 planes)?

A – You now get an option when you disband a unit to either reform it in 90 days or to permanently disband it.

Q - When Droping bombs or torpedos what is the best attiude to drop them from?

A – When you set the altitude, you are picking the approach altitude not the drop altitude. The AI picks the best altitude to drop the weapon depending on the type of aircraft and the type of weapon. Dive bombers drop at 2000 feet, torpedo bombers drop at 200 feet and level bombers drop at the approach altitude.

Q - How does one strafe an enemy airfield?

A - You can make and Airfield attack and set the altitude to 100 feet or you can send in a fighter sweep.

Q - Can fighters strafe Land units? is this effective? ie. resulting is many losses or mostly disruption and/or fatigue?

A -
Yes, yes, both. Set your air group to ground attack at 100 feet.

Q - Is there a limit as to how many A/Gs can be converted to Kamikaze?

A - One per day.

Q - Some cats are fully amphibious some are not Sunderland’s & do-24's can only leave the water on beaching gear for maintenance most IJN fling boats are also incapable of landing on land strips, is this model?

A - Seaplanes, float planes and float fighters can only operate from coastal bases, in War in the Pacific and not from inland bases. Some models of some of these aircraft were "fully amphibious" and others not. For game purposes, none are.

Q - If an air field was 100% damaged, could float planes still take off seen as the dfon't use it?

A - Yes. Yes, they could. They ignore air fields.

Float planes do not require an airfield in the hex. You can put 100 float planes in a hex with size 0 airfield and they will fly if you have enough AV support and supply.

Q - Say I have a squadron with 5-6 aces in it (it can happen). Can I pull 2-3 of these guys to flesh out a new green squadron or, for example, pull a particularly hoo-ahh individual to command a squadron that has not yet formed.

A - They stay there, although it is possible to split the group, merge one of the sub groups into another group as a means of doing it.

Q - How would you train up a PBY squadron to a sufficient experience level to do night torp attacks? Do you get experience while searching/on ASW duty?

A - Yes they gain experience with every flight just like every other pilot.

Q - I have been confused since UV how morale was calculated and regained especially for pilots. Can someone please go into some detail regarding morale for WitP?

A - Morale for airgroups will take it's biggest hits from being battered by enemy airpower....this includes "damaging" hits as well as "destroyed" hits. The more of either, the shakier (lower) your airgroup's morale will drop. If morale drops low enough you'll start seeing "elements of [airgroup designation] breaks off!!"

Constant heavy use can also impact morale, such as the beforementioned, 70-100% CAP though it wont drop quite as fast as in UV because fatigue rules have been adjusted downward.

Besides resting them, best way to quickly get morale back in shape is to transfer the air unit to a non malarial area.

< Message edited by Kid -- 8/2/2004 1:23:17 AM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 7
Submarine Questions - 5/12/2004 11:34:26 PM   
Kid

Q - Just a question that occured to me. If a sub is based in manila, is out on patrol, and manila gets captured, what happens to the entry under home base in the task force screen of the sub? Do they return to the default base (like PH for the US etc.)??

A - AI will set them to new port if using it. If not, then you are the master of your own demise. As subs require either a size 9 port or a AS in a size 3+ port, you will be pretty much in charge of them anyways.

Q - In UV, there was no sense in operating several subs in one space, since wolfpack-tactics hadn't been introduced just yet. How about WITP? can you use wolfpacks later in the war?

A - Players can still operate more than one sub TF in the same hex. One can also make multiple sub TFs.

Q - The old S-Class subs were slowly but surely phased out during 1943, being used in the north pacific and for training. In WITP, do these subs stay in frontline duty right up to the end?

A - They stay in the game. It will up to the player if they want to keep them on the front line.

Q - Will ss vs. ss encounters happen it WiTP?

A - No, but there is alway the patch.

Q - Is there still the multiple subs per hex pelalty that was added in to UV in one of the patches?

A - No

Q - It sometimes happened that during convoy attack, a spread of torpedoes hit more than one target. Also many ss captains attacked multiple targets with single torpedoes to cause mayhem and finish'em off later. Are such situations possible in WiTP?

A - Its not possible to have a spread hit multiple ships, but it is possible to have multiple attacks on different ships, and on the same ship if it stays in the hex.

< Message edited by Kid -- 5/27/2004 8:43:41 PM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 8
AI Questions - 5/13/2004 3:37:15 AM   
Kid

Q - How does the user allocate AI control over 'areas', or 'zones' or 'a theatre of operations?

A – By selecting the Show Control Zone Map and then changing a zone from Human to Computer control.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Kid -- 5/13/2004 1:38:41 AM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 9
Quastions on Leaders - 5/13/2004 3:49:53 AM   
Kid

Q - How does the user change leaders and commanders and such?

A – Every Land Combat Unit, Air group, Ship, Base HQ, and TF has an information screen associated with it. On this screen you will find the Leader’s name and rank in yellow text. Click on this text to change the leader. There are some restrictions that are too many to list here, but if all the conditions are met, you can pick a new leader.

Q - When transferring Gen. MacArthur of the phillipines, do you transfer the whole HQ like in Pacwar or do you simply exchange the commander? Or do you have to actually evacuate the HQ via sea (sub on a transport mission, for example)?

A - Simply pay the political points and exchange commanders

< Message edited by Kid -- 5/20/2004 9:40:41 PM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 10
Ship Questions - 5/14/2004 1:57:54 PM   
Kid

Q - In Scenario 15, the following CVEs are overloaded with 48 planes (24 F6F and 24 bombers) despite having a A/C capacity of 28.

Althamaha, Copahee, Breton, Prince William, Barnes, Casablanca, Admiralty Island, Kasaan Bay, Takamis Bay, Commencement Bay, Cape Glouster.

Is this by design or by oversight?

A - Yes this is by design, these are the Allied replenishment CVE all air groups with named VR are replacement groups they supply replacement aircraft to other carriers underway away from a base.

These airgroups are NOT combat groups and do not fly...

Q - In my game as the Allies against the AI, I've kept six PT boats in Manila as a defense against an eventual invasion. I'm pretty sure I've had them in port, not formed up in a Task Force. Well, on February 17, 1942, the AI sent in four APs -- and the PT boats engaged them in surface combat. They had become a computer-controlled Surface Combat TF!

I'm not complaining, but how did this happen? Is it supposed to work this way? I've kept everything -- convoys, control zones, everything -- on human control. Is there some auto-create option I'm missing? Or is this just the way PT boats work?

A - Automatic rule ... PT's are formed into a TF to defend the hex when attacked.

Q - Do repair ships stack ? If I have an AD and an AR in a port with enough supply, do Destroyers benefit from both ships or only one ?

A - Yes they do stack, but only to 4 ships for the AR's

Q - Same question with AV and AVDs ?

A - For the AV's and AVD's there is no stack limit

Q -How long does it take to convert an AK to a diffrent ship type?

A - 180 days

Q - What size port does it need to occur?

A - Japanese ships must be in Osaka and Allied ships must be in San Francisco

Q - Apart from dedicated fleet oilers, can larger ships refuel dd, des or other?

A - Any ship with fuel can be leached from to fuel other ships. It will bring your move speed down to a crawl, but it can be done.

Q - What is the number between () after gun and ASW?

A - Percentage of ammo remaining.

Q - What is the max ASW a ship can have? As well i like to know if we can upgrade asw on DD's for the jap.

A - The ASW # is an abstraction of the actual ASW weapons. Think the highest is an 8 ... one of the Allied uber hunter-killers with multiple DC racks and throwers.

ASW weapons being upgraded are no different then any other ship upgrade. They are not treated specially. It is just another form of weapon.

Q - I have a question, concerning whether or not the Japanese side in WITP is able to capture shipping? Can anyone confirm if this element is modeled or is it ala UV, where enemy ships are treated as "sunk", rather than capture?

A- You can't capture shipping. It is not in the game. Any shipping caught in that position will be scuttled.

< Message edited by Kid -- 7/31/2004 4:44:52 PM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 11
Land Combat Unit Questions - 5/18/2004 6:49:48 AM   
Kid

Q - Will some ground and air units assigned to the West Coast automatically change to another HQ as the game progresses? Or, will the Allied player need to spend political points for all units that he wants to move out?

A - You always will have to pay to assign them to another command. However, the majority of the land and air reinforcements arriving in the US after the game starts will already belong to HQ's other than West Coast so you won't have to worry about these being restricted.

Q - It has been mentioned that you can minimize your disruption during beach invasion by preparing your men for the invasion. How is this done ? Do you simply prepare for any beach invasion, or a specific target ? And do the troops on japan's turn one benefit from this preparation ?

A - You set a specific target then wait a few weeks while they prep. Each day, they gain a couple of points towards 100%.

Q - What does 100% (or any %) give you ? Just less disruption ? Or less losses over the beach ?

A - Both and every turn after 100% has a chance of increasing the units experiance (a way to train LCUs).

Q - Will training for LCUs exist in WitP?

A - Training of LCUs - You assign a target for the unit. Each turn, it increments the planning value for that target. Once the value is 100%, the unit will start to make rolls for experience gain. It can continue to gain experience, until it reaches 75%.

Q - Is it worth preparing for an assualt, i mean what are the casually rates if you havent prepared? 250 men casualties to unload on unhostile hex? It may take over 50 days to prepare, is that realistic?

A - PPs not only affects landing but combat performance in later turns. I always set my future objective to the hex I am going to attack or defend.

Q - Why do the Artillery units not have an assault value (always wondered about this in UV also)? How are these units to be used? . . . as AA, CD, Defense only? Always confused about these units because they don't have an associated assault value.

A - They don't assualt the enemy in a hex. they stay back and fight. field guns bombard the enemy causing death and disruption that helps your assualt troops. AA guns shoot at those aircraft flying into the hex that are trying to cause death and disruption among your troops, and CD guns shoot at those bastards that keep sailing up to your island and raining 14 inch shells on your troops.

Q - So I assume that if you have ART units with your troops when you attack, they will increase your chance of success? They shouldn't just be used for defense I guess was my original question.

A - Bombardment reduces the effective Assault Value of the enemy units in that hex for that turn only. If you then carry out an assault in the same turn, it will have a greater chance of success.

Q - Can paratroops be airdroped?

A - Yes, on any base that has an airfield.

Q - Does the IJN start with paras? Could they be used in my burma first strategy?

A - Yes, Yes

< Message edited by Kid -- 7/12/2004 4:12:04 PM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 12
Supply Questions - 5/25/2004 2:11:06 AM   
Kid

Q - Auto Convoy system - What are the primary components of the new system? Do they apply to each side equally, and, if not, what are the different aspects for each side?

A - Simply put, it allows you to dump ships into your main port and assign them to convoy duty. You also toggle bases on or off. The combination of the ships and bases makes the AI automatically generate convoys to keep those bases stocked. The continuous supply thing from UV still exists too, but has nothing to do with the above system.

Q - As a Japanese player setting convoy task groups for Truk and the system decides that two medium AK’s and one small TK is needed to supply this particular base, keeping this base at a 2x supply level is fine. However, what if I were too add another tanker and two or more cargo ships to this defined task force, would Truk receive more supplies and oil, and if no, why not.

A - The auto system aims to fill the base based on the bases *requested* level. Should you go and stick some extra ships in, they will end up there too, they are part of the same TF.

Be aware, the auto system is for *rear* area use. I would not advise sticking any *active* bases in the list unless you assign a crapload of asw ships to the pool.

Personally, I find it easier to do myself with monster convoys with insane asw assets assigned to protect the monster.

Very first thing I do as the Allies (turn 1) is form all AK's & TK's into TF's and start them loading right away in the rear areas. Once they load (thank god for the do not unload toggle), I pull out ships into smaller TF's and send them off. I also funnel all the useless shipping back to Karachi or San Francisco (shipping starts scattered all over the map).

Easy to remember: AK & TK to the rear, AP & AO to the front.

Q - So the automatic convoys are actually on the map and can be viewed unlike in PacWar correct ? Can you also stick escorts in them if you wish for some moderately threatened bases ?

A - Yes, they are real TF's, just computer controlled.

Q - Can I define level of supply I want to be kept by auto convoy system?

A - No, it is fixed.

Q - Do these convoys run continuously, or only when the computer determines the target base needs supplies?

A - The way I understand it the AI checks the base requirements and dispatches TFs are needed. So no they would not be considered continuous.

Q - DO all supplies / Fuel suffer spoillage ? What about oil and resources ? How much spoilage do they suffer ? Is it dependant on base size ? If so, can we get some examples ?

A - Oil and Resource dont suffer spoilage. The rate of spoilage is dependant on port/airfield size in ratio to the amount of supply/fuel being dumped so the more lopsided the figure the greater the spoilage. Sorry, dont have the exact formula on me.

Spoilage

Fuel over 1000 + ( ( port + airfield size ) * ( port + airfield size ) *1000 ) suffers spoilage.

Supplies over 5000 + ( ( port + airfield size ) * ( port + airfield size ) * 3000 ) suffers spoilage.

Any base with combined port and airfield of 10 or more has no spoilage

< Message edited by Kid -- 6/16/2004 11:23:18 PM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 13
RE: Supply Questions - 7/26/2004 4:39:14 PM   
Marc von Martial

Q - Can WITP run in "windowed" mode?

A - Yes. Create a shortcut from the "War In The Pacific.exe" to the desktop. Right click on the new created shortcut and put a -w at the end of the "Target" field. Click "OK". The game will run in a windowed mode then. This feature is unsupported.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Marc Schwanebeck -- 7/26/2004 9:39:35 PM >

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 14
RE: Supply Questions - 7/26/2004 4:39:57 PM   
Marc von Martial

Updated 07/26/04

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 15
A Land-Based Air Checklist - 9/21/2004 3:00:37 PM   
Kid

A post form dtravel
Thanks.

This is a checklist for Land-Based Air (LBA) that I created in response to problems I was having getting aircraft to fly. Comments, corrections and feedback are encouraged.

Note: this listing is for Land-Based Air units only! Carrier based air units are not subject to many of these conditions.

This listing is for Offensive Missions (p. 122) only. (Airfield attack, Port attack, Naval attack, Ground attack, Sweep, Recon.)

Any page numbers listed are the printed numbers at the bottom of the manual page. Not the .pdf file page count number. FRD means Fractions Rounded Down; FRU means Fractions Rounded Up.

References to 'morale checks', 'experience checks', and 'leadership checks' are assumed to be a d100 roll against the stated attribute. Presumably if the roll is <= the attribute then the unit passes the check. But this is an assumption. How this check is actually carried out is never stated in the documentation.

Prerequisites are conditions that must be met for a mission to be attempted at all. Once all the prerequisites are met, the number of aircraft that will actually fly is determined by subtracting from the number of 'Ready' aircraft in the unit as listed in Limitations. Finally, once you have gone thru all of that, your digital pilots may still not be able to complete the mission for any of the reasons listed under Aborts.

Some Prerequisites and Limitations have the same number. This was done when the condition was the same but the exact effects varied depending on the situation. Prerequisite #1 is an example, the minimum number of aircraft is dependant on it being a day or night mission.

PREREQUISITES:
1) (Day missions only) A minimum of two (2) ready aircraft in the unit. (p.124)
1) (Night missions only) A minimum of six (6) ready aircraft AND a minimum unit morale of 50. (p.126)
2) Target must be within unit's extended range. (p.124)
3) If the unit's morale is < 50, unit must pass a morale check to attempt a mission. (p.126)
4) The initiating airfield must be greater than size 1 (except for Recon). (p. 134)
5) The air unit must agree to fly the mission. Some of the factors affecting whether a unit will agree to fly a mission are covered in rule 7.2.2.12 (p.131).
6) Escorting fighters. The reference to this is highly confusing and can be interpreted many ways. A clarification on this is required. It has been stated that there is a maximum number of escorts that can be required. If that max is met, then the ratio of CAP:escorts becomes irrelevant.
7) Airfield damage must be less than 20+(Size*5) (p.165).
8) (Level Bombers Only) For Ground Attack missions only, the number of Ready aircraft in the unit must >= 50% of the unit's maximum strength. Does not apply if unit is joining an already initiated attack. (Undocumented. Confirmed by programmers.)

LIMITATIONS:
1) (Level Bombers Only) An experience check. Failure reduces the number of aircraft that will fly by 25% of the ready(?) aircraft. (p.127)
2) (Level Bombers Only) A leadership check. Failure reduces the number of aircraft that will fly by 25% of the ready(?) aircraft. (p.127)
3) (Level Bombers Only) A morale check. Failure reduces the number of aircraft that will fly by 25% of the ready(?) aircraft. (p.127)
4) (Level Bombers Only) Being outside the command radius of a friendly Air HQ will reduce the number of aircraft that will fly by 25% of the ready(?) aircraft. (p.127)
4) (Non-Level Bombers) Being outside the command radius of a friendly Air HQ will reduce the number of aircraft that will fly by 10% of the ready(?) aircraft. (p.127)
5) (Level Bombers Only) If the base's airfield is below a minimum size (determined by 4 + (aircraft type's max load/6500) FRD) then Level Bombers :
a) Will fly no farther than Normal Combat Range (no Extended range missions) (p.128)
b) Will carry a payload as though they were flying at Extended Combat Range (p.128)
c) Will suffer increased Operational losses. (p.133)
6) If the number of aircraft at the base exceeds airfield size *50, reduce the number of aircraft that will fly by 25% of the ready(?) aircraft. (p.165)
7) If the number of aircraft at the base exceeds airfield size *100, reduce the number of aircraft that will fly by 25% of the ready(?) aircraft. (p.165) (This is in addition to Limitation #6.)
8) If it is winter in a Cold Zone, reduce the number of aircraft that will fly by 25% of the ready(?) aircraft. (p.173)
9) (Non-Level Bombers) If base supplies are not >= base requirement, a maximum of 75% of the ready aircraft will fly (p.190).
9) (Level Bombers Only) If base supplies are not >= twice base requirement, a maximum of 75% of the ready aircraft will fly (p.190).

ABORTS:
Once it has been determined that the unit will fly a mission and how many aircraft will participate, the mission may be aborted by any of the following (note: the turn processing display at the bottom of the screen will show messages if either of these applies):
1) Poor Weather. If either the initiating or target hex is experiencing bad weather (indicated on the map by a cloud symbol if "Show Clouds" has been set in Preferences) there is a chance the mission will not fly at all.
2) Navigation. There is a chance that poor navigation or an inability to find the target will cause the mission to fail. Factors affecting this are listed in rule 7.2.2.14 (p.132). In addition, Level Bombers flying from a too small airfield (see Limitations, above) will have an increased chance of this.

VERY LOW ALTITUDE ATTACKS:
If an air unit's altitude is set to 100 feet, then special rules and considerations come into play. See p.129-130. Among these are:
1) Naval attack missions will attempt "skip bombing" of their targets. Generally, should only be attempted by units with a minimum experience of 60.
2) Heavy known flak at the target may cause the unit to abort and not fly at all.
3) TFs made up of only Barges and/or PT Boats can only be attacked by fighter-bombers OR air units with an altitude set to 100 feet. (Fighter-bombers are not required to have their altitude set to 100 feet to attack these ship types.)

NOTE ON AVIATION (AV) SUPPORT:
AV support is not required to launch a mission. However, it is required to keep planes in a Ready state so they can fly and to repair any planes damaged during a mission. So air units recently moved to a base without AV support can fly a mission but are unlikely to be able to recover from it to effectively fly a second.

HINTS, RUMORS AND INNUENDO:
Some players have concluded or claim knowledge of additional, undocumented, conditions that can limit or prevent offensive missions. None of these are confirmed! If anyone reading this can CONFIRM the condition, please provide the writer with supporting evidence so that this list may be updated. Many of these appear to be based on players' experiences with other games.

a) Level Bombers have a reduced range for Ground Attack missions.
b) Level Bombers will not fly at all from undersize airfields. (see Limit 5.)
c) Ground Attack missions require the target to have an unknown minimum Detection Level.
d) Having too many Limitations apply can cause the unit to not fly, even if the math does not reduce the number of aircraft to zero.
e) The Unit Commander must have a minimum Leadership value (60?).

(in reply to Kid)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> WitP FAQ Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI