To New Forum Members: Check in Here

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

KG Erwin

To New Forum Members: Check in Here

Post by KG Erwin »

Hi. If you're new to to the Matrix forums, and if you wish, you can introduce yourself and let us know a little about you and your prior wargaming experience. Welcome to our community.
KG "Gunny" Erwin
Goblin

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

Post by Goblin »

Shouldn't this be in the Training Center, where it asks new recruits to check in?

Goblin
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

D'oh! You're absolutely right, Goblin.
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Its a curse, sometimes...[;)]

Goblin
minefield

minefield

Post by minefield »

Hello all,
I have posted an introduction somewhere in this forum, but I decided to post another here. This is actually a new forum identity, since I realized how one actually spells minefield. Anyway, SPWAW is my first venture into IGOUGO wargaming. I'm fairly young with no military experience, so I'm probably not as colorful as some of the members. I am siked about the game though and I hope to contribute to the community.
I am currently living in Raleigh, NC, USA. I like long walks on the beech... oh wait, wrong place for that. I have just started PBEM. I could also do online play. I have 8.1, 7.1, and H2Hfr installed. Send me an email.

And no viking, I'm not ready to be abused by you. I saw how you did that poor Canadian army with those nasty Germans.
never cross a minefield
Kokoda

RE: minefield

Post by Kokoda »

And no viking, I'm not ready to be abused by you. I saw how you did that poor Canadian army with those nasty Germans.

Smart man.

Play a dummy first, like me.
CHRIS
Death Method

Post by Death Method »

Hi all,

I also introduced myself sort of in another forum. But i'll do it again with some more personal details.

I originally hail from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (home of the famous (for us canucks) PPCLI 2nd Battallion). Im presently staying in Victoria, British Columbia at the moment but am shipping off to Edmonton, Alberta in about 2 weeks. I have been an avid follower of military history ever since i can remember playing with model soldiers. Supported highly by my father who has a PH.D in counter-insurgency warfare, specifically on the subject on Diem in the Vietnam War. He took his Masters in WWII history i believe, so my questions can always be answered, lucky me :)

My father goes annually to the 'Vietnam Conference' down in Lubbock, Texas to go over what COULD of been done and what not. I actually had the honor not too long ago to go with him and have a steak dinner and beer with many famous American Soldiers, Including: Richard Donlon (Vietnam Medal of Honor recipient), General Theo Mataxis, who served in WWII as a private, Korea, and finally of course, a General in Vietnam.

I also could be caught 'shooting the s**t' with ex-ARVN and even ex-NVA men, truly an honour!!

I would say my primary interest in military history would deffinitely be the 1933 (hitlers rise to power) through to 1945 (capitulation of German forces). Specifically operations conducted by Erwin Rommel and the German Counter-Attack in the Ardennes (ie. 'The Battle of the Bulge' as coined by Churchill).

I look forward to playing this massive SP:WaW game and am excited about the community. I will first have to get used to playing the computer and conducting some campaigns and then you will find me on H2H and what not.

Oh, I also have a suggestion for the Forum Moderator. Could it be possible to start a forum for general military history discussion and recommended books and what not?? I mean, I know this is a gaming site primarily, but im just assuming the people around here love the history also. Or perhaps there is one, and i have overlooked it.

Anyway guys

Thx, and talk soon
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Actually, Death Method, there is a military history discussion area at http://spwaw.com. This was started by yours truly while I was a moderator over there, so pay the site a visit and sign up on their forums. Many of the member names should be familiar to you, including one "Gunny Erwin". [;)]
Irsmert

Post by Irsmert »

Hello,

Well lets see, My real name is Bridger Bukantis, and I live 20 miles from Helena, Montana (USA). I'm 15 years old and am a Freshman in Highschool. I have actually been lurking around here since I registered, but (rather obvioustly) this is the first time I have posted.

On to wargame stuff, I've been playing Steel Panthers for probably about a year now, against the AI and a very small amount of hotseat. Before Steel panthers I have played East front 2, Rising Sun, and West front Gold (from Talonsoft). I have never played a real board game, unless you count Axis and Allies and would like to but I doubt I will until I move off to college. I have played the demos of Combat Mission games, but they seem to lack somthing that this games has. I play SPWW2 in addition to SPWAW and am looking forward to Wartime Command, an upcoming realistic RTS\Wargame combo.

Oh, one last note, I play anybody, including Allies with the Sherman.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. Winston Churchill
Ol_Dog

Post by Ol_Dog »

Welcome Irsmert!

[:)]
Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.
ElSchlocko

Post by ElSchlocko »

hey all
the first computer game i ever got was old-school Steel Panthers 1, and that just started me off on strategy gaming.
of course, eventually computers actually got too fast for me to play SP on, so it just became a memory. then i read about SPWAW in cgw and the first thing i did was to download it and start terrorising the opposing force all over again.
so now i'm just getting used to the quirks of the new engine and trying my hand at designing a few scenarios. so far its going good, and i'm open to doing some multiplay action, but i dunno how that'll work.
"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
Irsmert

Post by Irsmert »

Welcome to the SPWAW board, as you can see in my above post,I'm also kinda new here. If you didn't already know this, you can also dowload Steel Panthers: World War 2, another full, free SP mod. I'm not necisarely recommending it, i'm just thinking that you might be intreasted. I play both, and they are defenitly different games. Well enjoy your stay here and, as I've read, the moderator's bar is always open. [:)]
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. Winston Churchill
Barham

Post by Barham »

Hi,

Well this is my first ever attempt at wargaming apart from a few attempts on Allied general a long long long time ago, so any help and advice is most welcom,

Cheers
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Welcome aboard, Barham. If you have any questions, the staff and members will do their best to give you an answer. The first thing I would recommend is looking over the SPWaW Manual, which can be found in the main folder. If you can print it out, so much the better. Otherwise, this community is the most helpful you will find in assisting newcomers to the game system.
Belirahc

Post by Belirahc »

Checking in...

I am not entirely new to wargaming, since I grew up during the wonderful 80's when Avalon Hill/Victory Games was the major contributor of the genre. Even though I have tried to learn most of the games I have, I had very few opponents during the days before AH was bought out. I have tried my hand at many of the older computer games, but never got into them for too long. I guess I kind of got out of the hobby.

However, I have recently pulled out my copy of Squad Leader and began to look over it again. It is a pain to play single player, but I have been able to understand things a little better lately. Of course, this has brought me back into the hobby, and my search for computerized games has led me to places such as this.

Luckily, Steeler13 was kind enough to send me a copy of the game, and while I have yet to really get into learning the game, I am reading through the manual so I can hopefully start to test myself against those here.

Until that day comes my friends, I salute you.
Belirahc
fresherpostie9

Post by fresherpostie9 »

Hi always been interested in all things military but never got into wargaming before. After hogging the PC downloading the [:)]!!!FREE!!![:)] game and playing around with it a bit I am very impressed. What I need now is some guidance on what units to buy when assembling my forces, whats a good balance between infantry,artillary,armour and transport etc also any good recommendations for books on tactics would be a graet help.
I am enjoying playing the game but would like to get a bit deeper into it than just moving forward and trying to blow up all I meet,
Many thanks for any advice and I look forward to many hours of gaming
Hida Bukkorosu

Post by Hida Bukkorosu »

hello, my prior turn-based wargaming experience is risk, milton bradley's Shogun, advance wars for the GBA, and battletech
c00k1e

Post by c00k1e »

Hi all.

Im a very old feeling 35 yr old coming back to wargames after a long time in the wilderness. I have no military background myself.

Grandfather was at Dunkirk, and then fought thru Nth Africa and Italy and I started with wargames after finding out all the details myself, as he didnt like to talk about the war, a long time ago with some SSI stuff then Fire Brigade on the Amiga (Still my favourite).

Found SPWaW and decided to give wargames another go (Hey its free so no loss). played it very badly and then found Squad Assault in my Local store for £5 and decided to see if I could play better with smaller units.

So I am very green [8|] despite my previous experience.
Stephen

Why be a cog in the machine, when you can be a spanner in the works...
Marcelo

Post by Marcelo »

Hi everybody!
I'm new in this place, but not with the game
I have the 7.1 version and desert fox, lost victories and guadalcanal camp.
Greetings from Argentina!
Toivo

Post by Toivo »

Greetings,

I'm from Europe, Baltic States, Estonia.
I have been playing SPWAW:H2H nearly two years now, in TheBlitz club mostly. So some of you here might know me[;)]
I have not been in active military service but my grandfather was in WW2 on german side, artillery.

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”