Grand Campaign?

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

Peever

Grand Campaign?

Post by Peever »

Seeing this game reminds me of all the fun I had with Close Combat 2. As I debate whether I should spend my money on groceries or the game I do have one question about it.

Is there a "Grand Campaign" where you play the whole operation or is that unfeesabe to due the games real time format?
"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.
MarkShot

RE: Grand Campaign?

Post by MarkShot »

There are large scale scenarios that run for about 10 days, but not the entire Market Garden in one scenario.

The primary reason as I understand it is that it would be too CPU intensive for the current state PC hardware.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
Golf33

RE: Grand Campaign?

Post by Golf33 »

That's correct. The included scenarios cover the action in four separate sectors: Neerpelt, Eindhoven, Nijmegen, and of course Arnhem. There isn't a grand campaign feature to link these sectors.

Due to limitations on PC power we can't model larger battles than these. There are however many scenarios with alternate reinforcement schedules covering things like early or late arrivals for XXX Corps, so it is possible to explore a wide range of different historical and what-if possibilities. For example I know of a couple of guys who actually ran their own 'grand campaign' - they games each sector in turn and selected reinforcement schedules that closely approximated the results of the previous game. It seemed to work pretty well for them.

Regards
Steve Golf33 Long

Return to “Highway to the Reich”