@ EricGuitarJames

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

JudgeDredd

@ EricGuitarJames

Post by JudgeDredd »

Do you fancy an online game? I don't have HTTR, but I do have AA:RDOA now, (and I know you have a copy [;)] ), so would you like to hook up for an online session?

I've never played online and, now it looks grim for me getting a copy of HTTR, I'd like to just go ahead with RDOA.

Even if Matrix sort out the Euro distribution thingy, I'll most likely leave it and spend my money on the next offering (the bulge I think). HTTR has been out almost 6 months now.

So, fancy a game?
Alba gu' brath
Oleg Mastruko

RE: @ EricGuitarJames

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Unrelated perhaps, but I odreder HTTR from Strategic Plus in UK and am very pleased with their service

http://www.sps-systems.co.uk/index1.htm

Since you're in the UK you can have the game in a day or two I guess.

HTTR is really not the one to miss. I'd say if you have to buy one wargame in 2004. it should be HTTR. OK, and WITP perhaps... maybe Battlefields as well if it's out by the end of the year, so let's make it three :o) But don't miss this one, you'll wait for quite some time for Bulge.

O.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Thanks for the link, Oleg.

Without sounding like an ungrateful b***ard, I will not pay £39.99 for a game. If I wanted to, I could own an X-Box and pay that for each game (and more).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the game isn't worth it...I'm sure it is. If I was to believe everyone on these forums, then it's worth twice that...but I have a wife and two kids to feed. I have not, nor will I ever, pay over £30 for a game.

I'm afraid there is most certainly a budget what I spend on games - and I'd be hard pushed to choose HTTR over the likes of Doom 3 or Half Life 2 - especially seeing as it costs more.

I like wargames, but I'm afraid the temptation to buy stops at 30 notes. I realise my selfishness does not help small developers...my apologies to them...we all have to survive.

Post is made with much respect to the developers
Alba gu' brath
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Understood where you are coming from ... gotta feed the kids and maybe the wife first, then play games ...

Perhaps when Matrix kicks over to electronic distribution, you'll not have to feed so many middle men and the price will come down.
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Hm. I see where you come from, but 30+ GPB is not all that much really, for a game that will give you hours and hours and HOURS of enjoyment.

I have two kids and wife to feed as well, and I gotta feed them (OK wife works too [8D]) on a Croatian wage (salary? whatever is the correct term) which is like, well I don't know how much excatly, but certainly significanty lower than your average UK pay. I see you're software engineer, so you gotta be making some decent money in UK.

So I'd understand if you said something to the tune of "I hate paying excessive shipping costs" (as we all do) but to say 40 GBP is too much for a game as revolutionary, important, polished and enjoyable as HTTR - I simply don't buy it. I respect your opinion though, and won't be "harassing" you to buy something you don't want [8D]

O.
general billy

Post by general billy »

I thought I just add to this thread. I personally wouldn’t buy HTTR for over £40 at all. I just dont like the idea that some middle people are making money out this dilemma. I think it should be released in the UK or other countries by now. The game has been out ages. If it was out I'll happy to part with my money for whatever the cost of the game. The only time I resort to buying games internationally for whatever the price is, when I know for certain there is no chance it will ever be released in the UK.
Anyway by the time it will come out in the UK, the most it will be is 29.99 and after a few months its more likely to fall to around 19.99 like every other title on the market. Anyway they are way too many games in the market.
Lucky for me I got a copy of HTTR from a good old friend in the states. And I must say, it is a great game. [8D]

Bill
WITP Games
Scen 16 as Allied = Lost
Scen 13 as Jap = Won
Scen 15 as Allied = Won
Scen 16 as Jap = NA
WPO Games
Scen 6 as Allied = Won
Scen 6 as Japs = NA
Grouchy

Post by Grouchy »

I doubt Matrix Games will charge £40 for it in Europe. HttR currently costs 50 dollars (49.99 if you want), since 1 POUND (in USD) is 1.8492 dollars . 50 dollars are worth around £30.
One EURO is (in USD) 1.2406. 50 dollars are worth around 40 Euro's.
Tzar007

Post by Tzar007 »

I got my copy of HTTR at 80$ Canadian from Amazon. Newly released PC Games are usually between 50 to 60$ CAN in retail stores, so 80$ is not cheap (one of the most expensive games I have bought, along with the HPS Panzer Campaign games). I bought HTTR from Amazon because I could not get it retail (special order it seems) and Amazon delivers in just 2 days.

So 80$ CAN is a lot, but I feel it¡'s worth it. I should not say that since this could give ideas to Matrix [:)], but I would have been ready to pay even more. Wargames are a niche market and they do not sell that many copies. To be able to make a profit, I understand wargames can be somewhat more expensive than blockbuster games, notwithstanding the fact that wargames do not require a 50 to 60 person development team.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Hm. I see where you come from, but 30+ GPB is not all that much really, for a game that will give you hours and hours and HOURS of enjoyment.

I have two kids and wife to feed as well, and I gotta feed them (OK wife works too [8D]) on a Croatian wage (salary? whatever is the correct term) which is like, well I don't know how much excatly, but certainly significanty lower than your average UK pay. I see you're software engineer, so you gotta be making some decent money in UK.

So I'd understand if you said something to the tune of "I hate paying excessive shipping costs" (as we all do) but to say 40 GBP is too much for a game as revolutionary, important, polished and enjoyable as HTTR - I simply don't buy it. I respect your opinion though, and won't be "harassing" you to buy something you don't want [8D]

O.

Well...I didn't want to start WWIII! [:)]

No. I understand that the game will give hours of enjoyment. And I'm sure, if I were to weigh up how long I would play it and how much it costs, for example with a £31.00 subscription to torture my body at the gym, then I see exactly what value I would be getting.

What I really meant to come from the post was this....sure I'm not short of a bob or two....neither am I loaded. But I have a limited amount of money I am "willing" to spend on games. This enables me to have money for other things (family included). Right now, I am sitting with £65.00 in GAME vouchers (for birthday presents). Now, if HTTR were in GAME, it would be for £29.99 and I'd buy it. But I'm not paying over the odds for something when I shouldn't have to...

If I'm lucky, I'll buy 1 game every two months. The sad fact is...if HTTR were in a store in the UK now - I'd have it...unfortunately, my GAME vouchers will be going to Doom 3 and Half Life 2 and - if I can beg borrow or steal money from somewhere - Far Cry.

I may be giving the impression that I am not really a wargamer....not true. Whilst I am certainly not a hardcore wargamer, I do love the strategy of war.

As for our lives being similar - may I suggest Oleg - that you don't understand English woman - where you are in charge of your household and it's finances, I am merely a servant to the great one! (that was humour) [:D][:D][:D]

Regards
Humble Me [;)]
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Tzar007
Wargames are a niche market and they do not sell that many copies. To be able to make a profit, I understand wargames can be somewhat more expensive than blockbuster games, notwithstanding the fact that wargames do not require a 50 to 60 person development team.

Perhaps this is what I should understand. How could Matrix possibly sell HTTR for £29.99 when EA Sports sells it's Madden NFL 2004 game for £29.99 - very different size of company and very different market and very different budget.

And yet...it's on sale in the US market for $49.99 - that, at todays conversion rate is just under £30.00...now - if I'm not going mad - I'd assume I'm getting the same game - no extra features for my version. So I won't pay £10.00 ($18.00) more for it.
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Please no more posts on this.

It's irrelevant. It's starting to sound like I think the game isn't worth the money - or someone is trying to rip me off.

Not so. I just have the choice to pay over the odds for something or not...and I choose not.

I only hope the Euro distribution gives me a fair chance to buy these great games at a fair price. All I ask.
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Anyway - Ericguitarjames - would you like an online game of RDOA?
Alba gu' brath
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Umm, well, yeah, an apology is in order. All the time while I was writing GBP and "pounds" I was actually thinking in terms of Euros/Dollars. So yes 40 GB pounds does seem a bit harsh for a game. In retrospect HTTR is/was well worth it but I agree it is too much, generally speaking.

O.
Golf33

Post by Golf33 »

Sorry, I just want to put this in some perspective.

I ordered AA:RDOA through Battlefront.com. I paid $50 US, which at the time was $100.00 Australian. In today's terms that would be GBP 41.02. I considered it well worth the money. On the other hand I probably only buy one or two games a year.

Regards
Steve Golf33 Long
EricGuitarJames

Post by EricGuitarJames »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Anyway - Ericguitarjames - would you like an online game of RDOA?

Absolutely! I'll have to re-load the game of course but it will be interesting to go back and notice what has changed. I suggest you choose the scenario and what side you'd like to play. Recommend we link up via Yahoo Messenger service (so we know when we're both online - my id is ejguitar41). I'll host if that's okay with you! Looking forward to it.[:)]
It's Just a Ride!
EricGuitarJames

Nice having my own thread[:D].
It's Just a Ride!
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Well, I do subscribe to the belief that a good game well provides in value far more than you spend on it.

Some that come to mind are:

* Falcon3 - My first MP gaming experience.

* Flanker 1.0/1.5 - My second MP gaming experience (first, using the Internet).

* EAW - Played this non-stop online a couple hours/day for 1-2 years.

* CMBO/CMBB - At almost 8,000 minutes (turns) of simulated combat.

* RDOA/HTTR - My first exposure to operational ground combat and beta testing. { Golf33, I guess my box didn't come with a coupon for a job offer from Panther Games. :) }

---

However, I spent much more than the above on game purchases over the years. Of course, I tended to mainly buy games with a nice portfolio of reviews. Despite that, it is really hard to predict what game you will fall in love with and what game you will learn, play for a few months, and finally put down. For example some games I have with solid reviews that I have played, but am not playing now are:

Steel Beasts
Operation Flashpoint
CIV3
Sub Command
Hearts of Iron
Europa Universalis II

It is just hard to know. Originally, I could not figure CMBO out as I was clueless about ground combat (I had only played flight sims for many years) and had actually put it aside for six months.

So, the right game could well be worth way more to me than $50 USD, but I have no way to know which one it will be. As such, when purchasing I also need to consider that I might be spending $50 on something that I will learn for a few weeks and play for a few weeks more and then put on a shelf. Then, the price does truly become an issue.

Well, I had just wanted to share my perspective.
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Right. My final post here (feel free to continue, though, as it is worth hearing other peoples takes).

Under no circumstances am I suggesting this game is not worth the money...I just resent paying more for something than others. There - that's it in a nutshell.
Alba gu' brath
Golf33

Post by Golf33 »

So the problem isn't the cost of the game per se, but that a person buying it in one country may have to pay more than a person in another country than the exchange rate would lead you to expect?

That's a fair comment and quite understandable, I think from David Heath's recent posts it's certainly something he is working to resolve as well (disclaimer: I am not involved in this side of the business and this is purely a personal view, not an official Matrix/PG statement).

I do think that perhaps people living in places like the US and Europe are rather spoiled for choice in many things however; living in Australia we routinely pay more for a wide range of specialty items (militaria, books, modelling gear, and software) than the exchange rate would lead you to expect. It's just a fact of life, if you want something that isn't produced locally you have to pay a bit more to get it.

Regards
Steve Golf33 Long
EricGuitarJames

RE: The price of a good game

Since starting computer gaming some four years ago I've acquired about 70 odd games. Some I paid a lot of money for and didn't enjoy (e.g. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Cossacks, Icewind Dale), some I picked up very cheaply and really enjoyed (e.g. Sid Meiers Gettysburg, TOAW2, Myth: The Fallen Lords). It's taken a while to play through lots of games and discover what I like - Wargames and FPS in general, Civ style games and the occasional RTS - and what I don't like - RPGs, Sims (all sim not just 'The Sims'[;)]), Sports games. I've spent a lot of money on games I barely play but I now KNOW what I'm looking for in a game and so hopefully won't waste money in the future.

I was fortunate to receive HTTR as a gift! Would I have been happy to pay £40 or more for it when I already own RDOA? Without knowing what I know now the answer would have to be NO! Now that I own the game, I realise that I would have missed out on a great gaming experience but that was by no means clear before it arrived in my post box (thanks Gary). As I've posted elsewhere I hope that the Matrix venture in setting up direct distribution in Europe is a success, not just for Matrix but so that other wargame producers follow suit. I'm prepared to experiment a bit up to £30 but beyond that I get very wary - I own an XBox and own seven games for it - all acquired either s/hand or via Amazon.
It's Just a Ride!

Return to “Highway to the Reich”