Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

An Important Topic for Gamers - Burnout

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> An Important Topic for Gamers - Burnout Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An Important Topic for Gamers - Burnout - 7/14/2003 10:31:43 PM   
Wild Bill

I would like to recommend the article in History Meets Wargaming where the timely but ominous theme of burnout is discussed. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/gaming_meets_history_3/

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 7/14/2003 10:48:58 PM   
macnab

Bill great letter ive been thinking along theses line`s myself ,but not as a burn out yet, but increasinglly annoyed with the overwhelming need for point`s people have , and total addiction to ladder ,while ladder is a good way to play ,it can become intrusive ,and stop the fun ,after all my conception of wargaming was to fight historical battle`s win or lose ,to see if it could be altered , a game with a person who doe`snt mind these scene`s ,in all types of games, is an enjoyment ,dont think i dont like ladder play altogether ,just like it mixed ,

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 7/14/2003 10:53:13 PM   
Wild Bill

Wargaming was meant to be fun, Mac. I enjoy competition too, and I think those that do should participate in the ladders system.

But I don't want to lose the flavor of the historical because I am so hell bent on beating another guy in this game.

So I don't play as well as another. I play well enough for me and I'm getting better all the time. At least I'm still alive after my mistakes ;)

So enjoy gaming. Don't be too competitive. Just have a good time. That is what I have learned to do.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 7/14/2003 10:59:35 PM   
macnab

This is so true,you know it yourself ,but you need to see it from others, it really is a good community ,some time`s you cant see the tree`s for the woods, having a fun time must be top ,i say

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 7/14/2003 11:02:21 PM   
Wild Bill

Oh yeah, sharing a good battle is like sharing a round of golf or tennis. The camaraderie is as important as the hobby itself. Only when you encounter someone with only a ravenous appetite to win, no matter what it costs, then you can have problems.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 7/14/2003 11:23:28 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill
[B]
So enjoy gaming. Don't be too competitive. Just have a good time. That is what I have learned to do.

WB [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Bill

First of all I truly enjoyed the article, informative and amusing since I know what you are talking about. I've just had one burnout but that was because I was burnedout at work....I could simply not play a turn of Uncommon Valor and when I did it was a pain....very sad :)

Now to your quote. I agree. Mogami taught me how to play for fun and I enjoy my gaming much more ever since....

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 7/15/2003 7:07:36 PM   
AlBW

WB - I liked your article. I've been playing wargames for about 30 years & have yet to become burnt out. I do, however, take a break from time to time. If anything, my interest has been rekindled due mainly to the possiblity of PBEM play.

Al

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 7/15/2003 9:53:32 PM   
Wild Bill

Thanks, and I'm sure that is why your interest has stayed alive and well. Sometimes a pleasurable thing can become so intense that one hesitates to even stop to breath, and that desire just suffocates within.

I've appreciated all of you sharing your own experiences about this.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 7/16/2003 7:14:07 AM   
Brigz

Speaking of burnout, I guess it's about time I returned to the forums here after a short bout of forum burnout. (One too many arguments about whether hexes are good or not, or whether turns are better than realtime. :rolleyes: )

I've been wargaming (historical wargaming) since the 60's and I've yet to really suffer burnout. I guess the reason is that I'm interested in just about all era's of military history, so when I get tired of one era, I just move on to some other era. So when the Civil War gets boring, I game World War II or modern. When that gets boring I move on to ancients or Napoleonics. Then there are always naval war games and air wargames. It's endless and changing eras really does help eliminate the burnouts. The only game I play face to face anymore is Advanced Squad Leader and I can't burnout on that with all the time and money I've invested in it.

I also spend alot of time modifying and creating my own battles. I especially like creating, converting and redoing the art work and scenarios for HPS's Campaign Corinth game and making modules for Vassal. I think I like changing and customizing my games to fit my personal taste almost as much as actually playing them. Games that can be modified are high on my "to buy" list (Matrix take note). So you see, with the constant changing of eras and modes of interest, I never seem to get tired of wargames even after nearly forty years.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 7/17/2003 10:51:24 AM   
Ross Moorhouse

One of the ways I try to overcome this burn out is by having one thing of interest or a TV show that isn't related to my work or wargaming. I make sure I watch CSI every week. I have some of the spin off novels from this show as well. My wife asked me if I was going to buy the PC game of this show. I said no way as it's one outlet I have thats not conected to my PC or gaming.

I also immerse myself in WWI aircraft. This involves reading about them, researching into them and when i have time building modles of them. I have a great love for the aircraft of this period. This too helps me.

At the moment I get the most enjoyment from my PC by playing Mechwarrior4 Mecenaries. I only play this against the AI. Its so far removed from anything we are making at Matrix.

Burnout can happen with anything. Anything that you do in excess can cause this. When you feel this coming on its time to step back for a bit of time and do something else.

Ross Moorhouse

Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 7/17/2003 2:44:52 PM   
BrubakerII

Ross has some very good points here. Being an avid wargamer (reader/studier/enacter/player etc etc) for 20 odd years I can relate to the burnout topic. Personally, I think it is very important to be able to step back from the topic/genre and enjoy other aspects of life. This includes personal interests such as other hobbies but also 'external' issues such as personal relationships with wife and kids, friends, workmates etc. This is critical in order to maintain a correct perspective on yourself, others and life in general.

I have other hobbies outside of this genre (as we all no doubt do)such as orchid culture, motorcycling, bushwalking etc. I think I am very fortunate in this aspect as it gives me an outlet for my mind to explore other than wargames. I advise don't be afraid to 'step back' and take a deep breath sometimes.

Another point I think that needs raising is the topic of online forums. Even more-so than wargaming, I think forums can actualy cause burnout. I think this is so because of the sheer physical amount of time you can spend on them. Just think, exactly how long ago did you actually go into the loungeroom and actually speak to your wife/girlfriend/partner ? Maybe it is not wargaming as such that is producing burnout but the 2 or 3 hours online a night talking about it? Maybe this is just a personal issue with me?

Don't get me wrong, I love the internet and love wargaming forums. Hell, where else can you go to meet such likeminded weirdos as you lot?? :p But lets face it, it takes up a lot of our time. Do the maths: how much online time do we actually spend on online forums? Frightening, isn't it?

I tell you what, anyone who happens to be visiting Adelaide in South Australia, please give me a call. We can go down the pub and talk to our hearts content about war(gaming) while our wives/partners talk about "whatever" but at least we won't be sitting staring at the cold screen of a computer monitor at 11 o'clock at night, right? :rolleyes:

Wargame forums - I love em and I hate em.

Brubaker

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 7/17/2003 10:32:33 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I don't think forums can cause burn out myself.

But I think Dave aced a very real concern. Some of us can tire of a topic that won't go away. or in some cases seems to drag on and on, or insist on redundant repeatings.

I don't have trouble with it, but can recognise that it might just be me.

I have been active on several forums now, but clearly I am most active at Matrix Games. I have seen the rise of Matrix Games, and it almost feels like the 70's again in some ways.

I would like to see more than one Matrix Games of course. But I do remember fondly watching companies like AH, VG, SPI, TSR, GDW, and no doubt some others I don't recall now create up some grand wargaming.

Computer Gaming has a number of company names out there, but few seem to be bastions of true wargamer designs currently.
Fortunately we do have a few though.

But the one big difference today, is I don't have to fret over waiting for the next issue of the General, or S&T to get input on what's happening in wargaming.

I might burn out on a topic, but I sure love coming to the forum.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> An Important Topic for Gamers - Burnout Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI