Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ?

Strategic Command is back, and this time it is bringing you the Great War!

Moderator: MOD_Strategic_Command_3

DonCzirr

Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ?

Post by DonCzirr »

Hello Fury Guys,

Will Balkan Wars, Franco Prussian War etc be available with the initial release?

Or perhaps as DLC later?

I would be happy to purchase as DLC - especially if you guys could enhance with some new material - such as Russian Revolution - Red vs White (with Western Allies ...)

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
BillRunacre

RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ?

Post by BillRunacre »

Hi Don

It's good to see your interest in other wars and periods, what will be interesting and useful for us to know is what demand there is for campaigns on these periods from others too.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Hey Bill,

That's always an interesting question with war games.

And especially with WWI being a niche category within a niche hobby =)

It seems like AGEOD did pretty well with their (Russian) Revolution Under Siege coverage - so that may be a good indicator.

I hope there are other folks out there like me who enjoy both Fury and AGEOD titles to cover the same grand strategic subject matter - but in totally different ways.

As far as the Balkan War and Franco Prussian - I think you guys are the only ones that covered that on a strategic level game? (There are battles in TOAW etc - but they are operational or below)

Were they well received when published for the SC2 engine ?

gamer78

Post by gamer78 »

Russian Civil War and Balkan Wars would be great with DLC. [8D] Although 1st Balkan War was disaster for Ottoman, hard to put into pbem.
East Africa 1916 campaign was also good. SC Breakthrough still on my hard drive.

Mysterian

Post by Mysterian »

I'd be interested in having the Balkan Wars and Franco-Prussian war included.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Mysterian

I'd be interested in having the Balkan Wars and Franco-Prussian war included.
+1 Those wars don't get enough attention.
Simulacra53

Post by Simulacra53 »

+ Franco-Prussian and Russian Civil Wars.
It is Europe, else I’d ask for the Russo-Japanese War as well.
Simulacra53
Free Julian Assange
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Another vote for Franco-Prussian War!
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Definitely another vote for the Russian Civil War....
CSSS

Post by CSSS »

The Japanese Wars of expansion, 1st and second Sino-Japanese wars and the Russo Japanese war. The American Civil war, The Mexican American war. You could do a whole series from 1870 till 1914? Or an sandbox Ancients game?
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

I would prefer fresh scenarios, and even better a continous game from WW1 to WW2, maybe even into WW3 ("legacy game").
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Well - with any luck, they'll continue to roll out similarly themed content corresponding to the old SC2 catalog but put in some new battles / operations.

In this case - World War I era - I think everything from Crimea to Russian Revolution could make sense for a marketable DLC bundle.

WW3 / PACT vs NATO etc - would eventually be more suitable for a next gen AOC / AOD or Weapons and Warfare style release IMO (and I would buy all of that as well)

TripleCP

Post by TripleCP »

I would definitely enjoy Franco-Prussian and Balkan Wars scenarios, but the Russian Civil War and it related conflicts (Finnish Civil War, Soviet-Polish War, etc.) would be the top priority for me.
PanzerCro

Post by PanzerCro »

My vote for Franco-Prussian war.

Various Ottoman wars would be cool as well.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

The Russian Civil War would be great..it has already been designed for the earlier incarnation of SCWWI so the OOB legwork has already been completed.
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

The Seven Years' War (aka the true first World War), please!
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
1775Cerberus

Post by 1775Cerberus »

It would be interesting to see if you could make some of the 7YW period features work in the engine. Army sizes, supply, diplomacy, supply, winter quarters, supply. Definitely a solid idea there.

DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

I wonder if Bill and Hubert will (themselves) will go back that far at some point?

I seem to recall some interview where (I think Bill) said that Napoleonics and earlier might be tough to scale with the existing system ...

I know however that there are a couple of user mods brewing (one for SC2 and one for SC3) for Civil War and Napoleonics respectively.

Perhaps our Fury Friends [:)] could chime in and mention if they have given earlier periods more consideration for official SC releases ?

BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr
I know however that there are a couple of user mods brewing (one for SC2 and one for SC3) for Civil War and Napoleonics respectively.

Civil War (SC2) has been out for a while: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4504986
ORIGINAL: 1775Cerberus
It would be interesting to see if you could make some of the 7YW period features work in the engine. Army sizes, supply, diplomacy, supply, winter quarters, supply. Definitely a solid idea there.
Army sizes could be handled easily enough, just lower the build limits so that the maximum a country is allowed is like 8 corps' worth or something instead of 50 or so. Could also make units individually more expensive (without also increasing per-turn MPP income) so that nations can't afford to build huge armies.

The idea of winter quarters could be done in theory - imagine a giant "Russian winter" event that crushes morale that fires all across Europe (say -10 morale for all units), but then put a positive one around each city (so if a unit is within 1 tile of say Berlin, it gets +10 morale). Results in units next to cities being OK, but ones out in the field getting crippled from freezing to death. I just don't see the AI actually moving its units to the cities to protect them (it tends to get distracted whenever it sees player units nearby).

Honestly the biggest issue with 7 years war is balance - In Europe it is basically Prussia vs literally everyone. And Prussia's not even that big. If France and Austria alone are allowed to have roughly their historical armies, any sensible player is going to join the two and crush Prussia with them, most likely very quickly too. They're not going to be doing things like camp the entire French army on the coast hoping to invade England. And of course, a game about the 7 years war needs some chance of actually lasting for close to 7 years.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Strategic Command Designer
https://www.youtube.com/@bitenibblechomp
PanzerCro

Post by PanzerCro »

Vietnam War would also be nice addition...with huge vietnam map and instead of one unit represents army it would represent platoon or squadron.

Return to “Strategic Command: World War I”