Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Improving Grand Campaing scen#1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Improving Grand Campaing scen#1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Improving Grand Campaing scen#1 - 7/13/2019 6:50:37 AM   
Mandai

mind_messing and others,

Rising_Sun asked for suggestions so that he can design a new scenario.

We can give comments - it is up to him to incorporate any suggestions since he is the one that will work on the new scenario.

Mind messing may prove that Truk cannot support major damage repair yards. It is up to rising sun to incorporate a repair yard and the players to decide whether to use a house rule to deter its use.

Likewise players are free to suggest repair yards at Midway Island Samoa, Fiji Islands etc. The house rules can also limit the size that the repair yard can expand to. The allied player can cede to the Japanese player by not using the yard at all.

Players taking on the Japanese role can negotiate with the allied player which house rule to adopt. An experienced allied player may be able to give more concessions while a weak allied player may get a repair yard at the fiji islands.

If lets say the KB is destroyed, the allied player can lift the restriction placed on the Japanese player so that the game can continue. For those that play against the AI, it is up to what one decides is gamey.

Alfred has stated his concerns about attempted "everything in the historical records". He is right in his concerns and that why we have the stock scenario for players that do not want to venture out.

I would suggest Rising Sun to include a readme file with his scenario so that players using his scenario will know all the concerns raise by mind_messing, Alfred and others. Let the players decide. Just like how the US voters elected President Donald Trump despite he has never held elected office before and has strong views not accepted by the political establishment in 2016 then.

The forum is for players to air their views and give the silent majority the right to decide.

Separately, I wonder if the repair yard at Truk can start with a negative value eg. -50. Then the japanese player will have to expend time and supply to get the yard started. This way, we can have repair yard in other places like midway, suva etc.

I am not sure if rising sun can look into this, this way "silly" commanders can be ordered by the players to build a yard in the right places, eg. Truk, midway etc.

Likewise, I cannot understand why the stock scenario has Tokyo starting with a repair yard of 10 (its the largest city in Japan) and yet impose an expansion to 50 if the japanese player wants to convert the 2 CS to CVL. Yokohama is just 1 hex away with a repair yard of 90, and it is not used.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 31
RE: Improving Grand Campaing scen#1 - 7/13/2019 9:04:53 AM   
Rising-Sun

Thank you Mandai, you nailed it there.

Keep in mind, that this scenario wont be easy for both sides. Just too much resources laying around and infact Allied, will have up buildup (repair) those industries in order to gain more from it, supplies, hardware, etc. USA as well Soviet wasn't in full capacity at the end of 1941. Took months to build up.

So not sure how the AI will be like, esp Japan, probably wont be good. But I will test it and see how it plays out. But this scenario will be great in PBEMs, regardless of the House Rules, anything can happen. At the beginning, players going to know where the weakness is, more likely they will take advantage of that. But if they do, good ways to lose your opponents too. The best way to play it, get some recons, showing that you know what is actually there.

For example, I got Force Z further south that is heading up there where Japanese landings is taken place, in history that Force Z was destroyed on Dec 9/10, not Dec 7/8th. So the Allied player may change (PBEM) course and not attack it or search and destroy, that would be mistake doing so.

So after a week what happen to Pearl, the Allied players can do whatever they like, gotta becareful not to abuse it from the beginning, this is why some players drop out that Allied players are exploiting it from the beginning.

Edited...
--------------------------
I have spoken to Sid on some details to improve and some interests on this scenario I been working on. Been poking around and read some important issues of their work, etc. Havent spoken to John yet, but I noticed that they were talking about D4Y "Judy" were carrying a 800kgs bomb on the centerline as a normal load and I don't think that aircraft can handle that much stress, but I will look into it.

So if any of you guys have some suggestion, please mention it so I can write it down. I may or may not agreed with it, but I do want this to be more accurate, not suppose to be easy on both sides at the beginning.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 7/13/2019 10:03:07 AM >

(in reply to Mandai)
Post #: 32
RE: Improving Grand Campaing scen#1 - 7/13/2019 1:47:05 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Well, just want to mention that many of your ideas have already been included in one mod or another, so you may want to dig through their documentations and the editor data and ask the author's permission to use the data of the mods - no need to re-invent the wheel. Most modders will gladly share their work. May save you time and allow you to concentrate on other things which haven't been touched yet.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 33
RE: Improving Grand Campaing scen#1 - 7/13/2019 5:56:35 PM   
Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Well, just want to mention that many of your ideas have already been included in one mod or another, so you may want to dig through their documentations and the editor data and ask the author's permission to use the data of the mods - no need to re-invent the wheel. Most modders will gladly share their work. May save you time and allow you to concentrate on other things which haven't been touched yet.

Will do, I didn't want to download and steal their ideas though. That would be a shame. So would like to discuss it and going over the details. Btw I do want to do my parts going over the details, I know its the long roads, but least I am doing the research on it.

So if any of you guys willing to share or talk about it, please do so. Would like to hear it, on what you did or what you improved. Since there already some MIAs out there hasn't been around.

< Message edited by Rising-Sun -- 7/13/2019 5:57:49 PM >

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Improving Grand Campaing scen#1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI