Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie - 6/11/2019 12:32:46 PM   
wodin

Any advice on where to start. Was thinking Guadalcanal.

Will I learn anything watching AI vs AI?

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Newbie - 6/11/2019 12:47:49 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Thanks

Coral Sea, both sides, then Guadalcanal, both sides.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie - 6/11/2019 12:51:05 PM   
Anachro

Well, you can do what I did.

1. Make a thread proclaiming your ignorance of the game and ask questions to a bunch of old curmudgeons that might (might!) begrudgingly give an answer: LINK HERE

2. Jump right into a Guadalcanal PBEM match against another newish opponent. My first was also a noob from Germany (who even wrote an AAR on some german forum for the game). We had quite a good game! I think the best way to learn concepts of the game to the core is through visceral action. Beyond that, there are many esoteric aspects that require you to read the manual or search the forums here, but those questions will come up as you play and then you can consult here.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie - 6/11/2019 12:51:58 PM   
Canoerebel

You won't learn much if anything from watching AI vs. AI. If you're fairly well read about the Pacific War, you'll have the background information needed to begin playing. You'll know the relative strength of the two sides at a particular place and time, you'll know generally how to employ carriers and merchantmen and patrols, and you'll know which side has the initiative and the larger force, etc. That gives the game the context necessary to play. Learning the rules and intricacies of the game are simply a matter of playing and playing and playing, and reading and reading and reading the forum, having a blast and gradually getting better and better. Have fun!

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie - 6/11/2019 1:05:08 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Well, you can do what I did.

1. Make a thread proclaiming your ignorance of the game and ask questions to a bunch of old curmudgeons that might (might!) begrudgingly give an answer: LINK HERE

2. Jump right into a Guadalcanal PBEM match against another newish opponent. My first was also a noob from Germany (who even wrote an AAR on some german forum for the game). We had quite a good game! I think the best way to learn concepts of the game to the core is through visceral action. Beyond that, there are many esoteric aspects that require you to read the manual or search the forums here, but those questions will come up as you play and then you can consult here.

Hey, who you calling "OLD".....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbie - 6/11/2019 3:18:01 PM   
inqistor

quote:

Start with 1000 Miles War, there are like 2 Bases, and 3 Air Units. Then try Coral Sea, for quick Carrier engagement. Guadalcanal is quite unforgiving for Japanese Player, and walk in the park as Allies vs AI.

quote:

Not really, you have to see how to issue orders. Watching AI you will only see turn execution.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Newbie - 6/11/2019 3:27:09 PM   
Yaab

There is no hiding from scen001's first turn...

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 7
RE: Newbie - 6/11/2019 5:25:03 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Coral Sea, both sides
then
Aleutians, both sides
then
full campaign, but limit yourself to one month of play, then restart and play two months, etc

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 8
RE: Newbie - 6/11/2019 10:22:29 PM   
geofflambert

Playing AI vs AI is just watching one cheater outcheat another. Do you have anything to learn from that?

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 9
RE: Newbie - 6/12/2019 2:31:02 AM   
pontiouspilot

I’m guessing by the 5 stars and what you have played that you should jump straight to an AI Campaign game. As another commentator mentioned, if you are well read and well played you shouldn’t be timid. I started with campaign and have never played lesser scenarios.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Newbie - 6/12/2019 5:30:41 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I’m guessing by the 5 stars and what you have played that you should jump straight to an AI Campaign game. As another commentator mentioned, if you are well read and well played you shouldn’t be timid. I started with campaign and have never played lesser scenarios.

Yes, the Grand Campaign is the big enchilada, but waiting years to get through the experience can sometimes feel like a grind. I interrupted one campaign game to play the Marianas scenario and had a blast! Lots of action, the whole gamut of Carrier, Surface Combat, ASW and Amphib warfare + seriously complex logistics.
Everyone has their own preferences in play and in learning to play!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 11
RE: Newbie - 6/12/2019 1:44:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Thanks

Welcome wodin!

For a starting position, I recommend:

1. Read the manual. Yeah, it's outdated, but it's helpful background.
2. Don't be a stranger on these boards. Stalk, prowl and follow other 'noob' threads and find a good early war AAR or two to follow. Ask your questions. Don't be embarrassed.
3. Be patient. Don't try to reinvent the wheel or become ze experten in a week. Or a month. Or a year. You'll burn out. Guaranteed. Start at your pace-slowly-and start to digest this beast.
4. Start with the Allies vs. Japanese AI on a small campaign. Coral Sea is fast and furious. Guadalcanal gives you more thingies to play with and plot. "1000-mile war" is also a good second scenario.
5. Try the Japanese in a scenario vs. the Allied AI. Same scenario choices.
6. Look at a December 8 start CG scenario vs. the Japanese AI. Don't handcuff yourself to *finishing* it, but play a few months into it to get a feel for early war Allied issues. Then start over.

This oughta keep you going for a few months mate. Again, welcome. And-of course-my sympathies.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI