Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: TankBushido
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/24/2019 8:05:38 AM   
CaptBeefheart

TB: Thanks for the summary. One aspect of the game I found challenging is supply, especially in France and Belgium. How is that coming along? Could you show us a screenshot with active rail lines and depots?

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to TankBushido)
Post #: 91
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/25/2019 4:18:21 AM   
TankBushido

As I mentioned earlier, I had my troubles with repairing rails early in Sicily and Italy, but finally figured out the rail repair units. Depot building has been a little confusing because sometimes I'll look at the details of a location that should be able to house a depot, but I can't build there. I think it comes down to two things: I just can't build a depot in a hex on the turn you capture it and I can't build a depot on a hex where the rail line is damaged? You can see my rail net in France. I have a main line extending out and have started to a string of depots. The 1st CA Army HQ (with 4 supply priority) is sitting on the priority 4 depot has all of the Corps HQs in the eastern facing front attached to it. I'm building another line from Brittany that I will connect to the main net and create a secondary spur that goes further south.

The supply organization method seems pretty simple. Have supply flowing into a port (the bigger, the better), extend the rail line from that port to the front, build depots as close to the front as possible, and set priorities high for both the depots and HQs you want to receive supply.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 92
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 12:59:47 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Thanks for that. Looks like a cleared RR route to Brest would be in order.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 93
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 2:00:06 AM   
TankBushido

Turn 53:
The cleared railroad route from Brest is coming soon enough as the Germans in the way are being reduced. The turn starts out good. That pesky 9th SS Panzer division finally surrendered at Granville. I can now rush that corps east to bolster my front lines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 94
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 4:10:25 AM   
TankBushido

On the main front, I punch a small hole in the line. I need more troops to make more sustained progress. I have too much in the rear areas right now and have lost critical mass.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 95
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 4:18:59 AM   
TankBushido

In Southern France, it feels like the Twilight Zone. First let’s start with the forces advancing up the Rhone River valley. Over the past three weeks, they’ve travelled from the French Riviera all the way to within sight of the Belfort Gap without encountering any Germans at all. They’re only 100 km/60 miles from Germany. There is still a war going on, isn’t there? Maybe West Wall is a myth too and there is nothing standing between us and Berlin.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 96
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:12:49 AM   
TankBushido

And as the mainly Free French forces continue to inch their way their way over the Maritime Alps, we are blocked by a lowly security regiment and a mountain regiment? Where the heck are the German forces? Meanwhile twenty odd divisions are laagering in Central Italy getting drunk on stolen Italian wine. Can’t somebody get on the phone with General Kesselring and tell Uncle Albert that he’s got a crisis developing in the Po Valley. If I walk into Turin unopposed, I’m going to have my air force drop postcards from the city with a message of “Enjoying my vacation in Turin. Wish you were here.”

Attachment (1)

Post #: 97
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:24:51 AM   
TankBushido

Turn 54:
Vanguard units from the South reach the outskirts of Nancy and finally make contact with a German unit. There is a war on after all. I’m being cautious with this force because supply is still lagging way behind and they can be outflanked easily. I’m content to just be a threat to the German southern flank.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TankBushido -- 6/27/2019 5:25:22 AM >

Post #: 98
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:27:29 AM   
TankBushido

I’m able to surround a panzer and infantry division near Amiens in France and with a new corp on the line, I’m positioned for a bigger breakout next turn as the German line is looking really brittle. My troops from the south have forced the Germans to stretch their line quite a bit.

In the rear areas, St. Malo finally falls, which allows me to rush another corp to the front lines. The rail line from Brest is linked up with the other line going east.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 99
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI