Battle of Edgehill a draw?? News to me.

The King or the Parliament? Choose your side and take command of the Cavaliers armies or the Roundheads and the Covenanters.
Bella

Battle of Edgehill a draw?? News to me.

Post by Bella »

I just bought ECW and it seems right up there in quality with other AGEOD games like Civil War II in accuracy to historical detail and a great balance between complexity and playability.

Reading the manual, though, I spotted a lot of typos and grammatical errors in the beginning. Might be second language issues.

Also -if I may be picky for a moment- in historical notes it twice refers to the Battle of Edgehill, the first battle of the war, as a draw. I'm no expert, but I did just finish a biography of Prince Rupert. Although things looked bad for the Royalist centre mid-way through the battle (the Royal standard was actually captured for a few minutes), the end result was the loss of most of the Parliamentary army's baggage and supply train, the seizing of several of their cannon and over seventy of their standards, and more than 1000 casualties suffered to the Royalists losses of about 500. More importantly, it forced the Parliamentary army to retreat and opened the way to London (which, however King Charles chose not to exploit and which probably lost him the war. London had only rudimentary fortifications at this time in the war.) Sorry, but that's not a draw. It's not a rout, but it's most assuredly a win for the Royalists.
altipueri

RE: Battle of Edgehill a draw?? News to me.

Post by altipueri »

There's a nice pub at Edge Hill called the Castle. You can see if the information boards looking over the battlefield agree with you.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

This might help:

https://www.historyhit.com/facts-about- ... -edgehill/

I like this game. There are not many war games with Lyme Regis on the map. :)
Bella

Post by Bella »

History is written by the (eventual) winners, I suppose.

Return to “English Civil War”