Blacklist for quitters?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Kantti

Blacklist for quitters?

Post by Kantti »

Could we have some sticky blacklist/wall of shame of players who quit without any communication when things go awry for them on the map. I hate to invest hundreds of hours into the game (Bitter End campaign, chosen by my opponent) just to notice that my opponent slips away saying nothing on T12 when things are not going as much on Axis favor as one might hope (still no major catastrophes and would have loved to see how the game develops).

I am considering about starting a new game by responding to some challenge on the forums, but would hate to see it deserted again because I have no prior knowledge on my upcoming opponent. With such a blacklist I could at least check if my opponent had previous history of cowardice. :)
demyansk

RE: Blacklist for quitters?

Post by demyansk »

Not a bad idea, by the way, I had a contractor come over for estimate, he asked me twice how I heard of him, advertising in magazine circular, He never called me with an estimate. I think he was wondering if I heard of him on the internet. Therefore, worried about an online review. Guess what, I still can leave a one star review. His advertisement said the Better Business Bureau seal etc. If he didn't want to do it, just let me know
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Maybe have a list of those who just disappeared for no apparent reason. There could be a valid reason for some like work, health, family issues...etc. Having computer problems isn't as common a it once was in the early days of gaming so that shouldn't be an issue anymore. With that list it would give them a chance to maybe explain what happened and may be safer to play scenario's rather than campaigns.

Checking AAR's for past occurrences would also help prevent future ones.
No idea

Post by No idea »

I agree with making a blacklist for people dissapearing. Please, note that dissapearing is not the same as quitting
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

And who will prove the veracity of such a list?

When i questioned one opponent why he stopped playing it was because I had quit, apparently.

You might find one or two 'big names' on the list.

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Last time I looked I lived in a democracy. For me that filters down to what I do in a game guit or not, specially if I'm getting my ass whipped.
joelmar

Post by joelmar »

Welcome to the real world.

Disappearing without explanation is rude of course and only shows that sadly your folks did a poor job in grooming you.

But such a list would be a huge concession to Hitler and Stalin! lol!
"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Send them to the stockade
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I appreciate the irritation of someone who invested a huge amount of time into a game and felt like they were doing well and enjoying themselves. I also appreciate the grinding experience of playing on in a game that is most likely lost but will take months or years to come to a conclusion. I think that airing these sorts of things publicly would be an invitation to a lot of backbiting and even more hard feelings.

That said, if you are going to quit a game, you should tell your opponent you quit. It would also be a good gesture to give your opponent your password so he can either hand the game off to another opponent, if he can find one, or look at your position himself, play on solo, or whatever.
joelmar

Post by joelmar »

@thedoctorking: +1
"The closer you get to the meaning, the sooner you'll know that you're dreamin'" -Dio
mouse707

Post by mouse707 »

You can also establish a list of goods opponents. I had the same problem for all my 10 or 12 first games started. The german players were leaving from turns 2 to 12. But after that, I've played against Bitburger, and while he was not winning the game, he stayed until the end. We're in 1945, very close to Berlin, and he's still sending his turns. Very reliable and sympathetic opponent.
xhoel

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: mouse707

You can also establish a list of goods opponents. I had the same problem for all my 10 or 12 first games started. The german players were leaving from turns 2 to 12. But after that, I've played against Bitburger, and while he was not winning the game, he stayed until the end. We're in 1945, very close to Berlin, and he's still sending his turns. Very reliable and sympathetic opponent.

+1

A list of good opponents would be much better. Bitburger is a great guy and a solid opponent :D
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”