Bought 3 New Games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

Bought 3 New Games

Post by demyansk »

I now have Revolution Under Siege, Civil War 2, and Pike and Shot. Going to try to learn the aegod system. Wish me luck!!!!

Any suggestions??
TulliusDetritus

RE: Bought 3 New Games

Post by TulliusDetritus »

re AGEOD, the games look cartoonish but make no mistake, truly deep and sharp operational games (one of the best along the Grigsby's games). Suggestion? Try vanilla, anf if you like, then you might want to try this wonderful Civil War II mod: CWDBMod.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=340&t=43543

If you never played before, then it's all about intercepting enemy movements. What the enemy will do... or not do. It's not complicated.

Good luck and may you like them as I do.

Reading AARs is always a good idea. Youtube videos are not the best platform to explain the game.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Thanks for the assistance, I'll have to play soon
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

I had written an AAR, which I had played vs my Wehrmacht opponent (aka Marquo) in WitE. Didn't know it was still around.

tm.asp?m=3490925&mpage=1&key=

Take with a pinch of salt.

"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
budd

Post by budd »

Pike and Shot is excellent. There is so much extra content you can get from the in game down loader you'll be down loading for hours if you want it all.

Also i'd go over to the Slitherine Pike and Shot forum and there some quality of life mods to down load over there. I especially like the period music mod.

here's the link... http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=322
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Let's face it, we like what we like.

While I personally may not like the AGEOD system, I understand that many do like it. So buy if you like and avoid if you don't. My opinion is that Pike and Shot and Field of Glory II are excellent, I don't condemn those who don't think so. I think that Brother against Brother is the best Civil War Game system that is available but many disagree.

To each their own!

When I see a game that looks interesting I'll try at least one using the engine, but may never buy one like it again. However for those that like it please keep buying and avoid the ones you don't like. My list of best games may not match yours, but I would not pretend to tell you what you should like. As an old commercial about cereal once said, "try it you'll like it." That's the only way you personally can decide what games you should buy, not games I should buy.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
balto

Post by balto »

Throw all three out. Pike and Shot is good, but Field of Glory 2 is a better version. If you feel the need to figure out Ageod (which you never will because it sucks), wait for Field of Glory: Empires.., now that is going to be money!!! It is a hybrid of Ageod and could be super awesome.
balto

Post by balto »

PS - Are you aware that you can import your tactical battles in Field of Glory:Empires into Field of Glory 2. Another big reason to take a zero on Pike and Shot and focus on FOG 2.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

If you go into the old Ageod system with an open mind and truly try and understand what is going on.... well... honestly you might be disappointed. But, you can if you try get to a point where you can enjoy playing it.

The only problem I have with Ageod is it does not like alt-tabbing out of the game. That causes CTDs for me more than anything I have ever played.

Edit: Obviously a reply to the OP and not Balto.

Edit 2: Of all the old Ageod engine games, I would put RUS/RUSGold as one of the harder to get in to because the topic matter is really hard to get your mind around. So many different factions and so much to figure out while you're planning. It's hard to understand your goals and how to get there.

CW2 is a lot easier, because you have determined lines where on one side the North is the Union and the Southern side is the Confederacy. It's easier to understand what is going on and where you are winning and losing.

I'd say To End All Wars is similar to understand. The lines are set, now you have to defend or attack them.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

CW2 is great for me since I know a lot about the conflict and can benchmark how well I am doing vs. history. Although I'm comfortable with the engine and don't think it's hard to learn, some of the other AGEOD titles are hard to get my head around since I don't know the history as well.

Cheers,
CB
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

It's all good, no big loss of $
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

I now have Revolution Under Siege, Civil War 2, and Pike and Shot. Going to try to learn the aegod system. Wish me luck!!!!

Any suggestions??

Good luck and Enjoy....I have all 3 and like them very much. RUS and CW2 are not the easiest Ageod games to learn but it's do-able. Any questions ask away here or at Ageod forum.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I too have all 3.

Civil War 2 is the easiest to get into. Try the Gettysburg and 2nd Manassas short scenarios to start.

Don't neglect the earlier Ageod Civil War, Birth of America, and Napoleon's Campaigns which will cost you about the price of a pizza. And they look tasty too.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

once you learn how to play and enjoy one Ageod game, you appreciate them all

plus Pike and Shot is epic, so 3 great games imo
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
loki100

Post by loki100 »

For RuS, you really should have a look at these by Bornego/One Eyed Mexican

They are not for Gold so some important changes but it'll teach you a lot about stack building/army raising which is key to that game (& not easy to grasp):

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... em.571687/

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... em.582403/

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... t-13280102

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... t-13525297

The last one is for the what if campaign of a show down between the new Soviet Republic and a victorious Germany in 1918 - truely brilliant but very very demanding.

They all relied on photoshop so unfortunately some things are now missing.

this might help you, its not for one of the games you've bought but it does explain the basic AGEOD mechanics very well (&, if I may say it myself, its pretty funny too):

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... ar.545321/

For Civ War II suggest checking the AGEOD forum, its an active area and full of lots of good advice:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=331

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I really recommend Loki's AAR link in his post above for seeing what the Wars In America game is like:

Here's the link again:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/in ... ar.545321/

For those new to Ageod the AAR has some links to other AARs too.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

I have a feeling I know where you got them from [:D]

Great deal by the way...
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/slitherine-pick-and-mix

Red
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

wow, yes.

Certainly get the others at those prices. AJE, AT, Rise of Prussia, Thirty Years Bore.

demyansk

Post by demyansk »

You found it Red, I have a Solitaire board game on the Russian Revolution. Figured I would try the AGeod. They have so many good topics but the interface is one of the worst. I'll try again. I have field of glory 2 as well, but never play. As a matter of fact, I am burned out on all games. Ughhh
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: demyansk

You found it Red, I have a Solitaire board game on the Russian Revolution. Figured I would try the AGeod. They have so many good topics but the interface is one of the worst. I'll try again. I have field of glory 2 as well, but never play. As a matter of fact, I am burned out on all games. Ughhh

My favorite of all the Ageod old engine games has to be To End All Wars. I have played it the most and it is very fun to me. Plus I'm fascinated by WW1, a lot because it is never covered as much as WW2 in anything.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Return to “General Discussion”