A Good War Book

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here
Hellen_slith

A Good War Book

Post by Hellen_slith »

In these inter-sterces b/w moves, I sometimes try to find some good books to read, and boy, did I find a WHOPPER just today: "Into the Flame" I think it is called. A WWI narrative by one who was there. It is a Fascinating read.

Here is the link, you can download the PDF from here

https://archive.org/details/towardflamewardi00herv
larryfulkerson

RE: A Good War Book

Post by larryfulkerson »

I started to download the ZIP file and discovered that it's 1.4Gig bytes big and would take 38 minutes to d/l it. I'll settle for reading the PDF online.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Larry, you just need the PDF, about 12MB, not the whole shebang [;)]
https://archive.org/download/towardflam ... 00herv.pdf
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

Another good one re: WWI era is Upton Sinclair's "Lanny Budd" series of historical novels. I think the first one is called "World's End" and I am halfway through the second, "Between Two Worlds." We up to 1923 in that one, he just described Herr Shickelgruber's Beer Hall Push. Riveting.

Best part is, you learn about the financiers and industrialists who were fighting over the Ruhr and reparations and etc. and how the art world worked back then, too. Fascinating, to me, at least.

Hard to find. I had to borrow a copy from the uni library. I think it still copyrighted, or tied up in Sinclair's estate. I'm surprised Library of America hasn't published his works in toto by now. Too much of a rabble-rouser, I guess.

Well, back the game!
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

Another good one, a bit dense at first but around ch. 4 it gets good, gives a lot of good info about the clash of both Nazi and Soviet leadership w/ catholic, protestant, and orthodox ecclesiastical factions, excellent footnotes for add'l reading too (insight into the workings of Hitler's outer circles like Rosenburg) is:

_Icon and Swastika_ by Harvey Fireside
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

the clash of both Nazi and Soviet leadership w/ catholic, protestant, and orthodox ecclesiastical factions

The whole "state as church" thread common to those two regimes is a fascinating topic. Unsurprising they clashed with established faiths.

Cheers
Hellen_slith

Post by Hellen_slith »

ORIGINAL: cathar1244
the clash of both Nazi and Soviet leadership w/ catholic, protestant, and orthodox ecclesiastical factions

The whole "state as church" thread common to those two regimes is a fascinating topic. Unsurprising they clashed with established faiths.

Cheers

Indeed. While browsing the uni catalog for that book about financiers and the regime, I stumbled across this:

_Nazism, 1919-1945 : a documentary reader_

four volumes, contents:

v. 1. The rise to power, 1919-1934 -- v. 2. State, economy, and society, 1933-1939 -- v. 3. Foreign policy, war and racial extermination -- v. 4. The German home front on World War II.

This is a set I haven't seen before, I guess I've found some more reading to do next month!!

Ok, well, ... Cheers!!

Return to “The War Room”