Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Needing to replace a laptop, so advice...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 12:26:48 AM   
BeirutDude

My other laptop is about to die and when I replace it I want to optimize the next machine for Wargaming and Power Point (work). So any suggestions on a reasonably priced stock laptop that has the RAM, and speed I need to have it be usable for wargaming the next five or so years? How much RAM should I have? I know I want about a 2TB hard drive. features? Any suggestions?

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Post #: 1
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 4:51:06 AM   
MrsWargamer

I don't know tech that much.

I'm an expert wargamer though.

I'm not so fully versed in Powerpoint, but that's just mundane software when compared to the latest in video gaming.

So really, ANY laptop on the market, if it is new, will greatly exceed ANY of our wargames. And likely Powerpoint as well.

I doubt they even sell laptops inadequate for your needs.

I'm currently running everything on sale here on a 5 year old laptop. It won't really run Civilization 6.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't meet your needs with the economy option in any computer retailer.

I want to thank the site for NOT permitting religion and political content on site, anywhere on site.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 2
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 5:53:10 AM   
zakblood

all you need to know about is onboard video is poor cheap and nasty and a dedicated video chip solution is better and is just about all you need to ask, regarding ram, more is always better than less, and video ram, 2 is good, more is better, but onboard, not shared so it is says 8gb system ram and 2 gig dedicated video ram, that's what your getting, but if it say 4gb system ram and 2gb video ram, your system may have 2 gb shared from main system ram, which not only leaves the system somewhat short, its means it;s slower video ram and while some games will work with it, others won't, so be carefully, if they don't know, they lie and don't care as aren't computer experts either are are con merchants after a cheap sale to someone who doesn't know either so makes doublely sure before buying, doing your home work and making your own mind up is better than being conned with getting something that doesn't suit your needed

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 3
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 6:02:01 AM   
zakblood

so here's a typical cheap spec sheet and one to avoid

Intel Celeron N3060 1.6 GHz
4GB RAM + 32GB eMMC
14" LED Display
Intel HD + WIFI
Windows 10 Home

cpu is a celeron, which means it's as slow as a donkey and it suitable for net use only

4gb ram, and doesn't mentioned video, so for me, that's 2 gb system ram which will use the other 2 gb for shared video ram, so onboard

14" so a cheap and poor smal screen not suitable for well anything other than students or online use only to check sites and emails, avoid

32GB eMMC means it doesn't even have a hard drive so only has enough space for windows and a few apps installed, so you would need to buy a memory stick to install stuff on, and hardly any game works off sticks, too slow

< Message edited by zakblood -- 4/23/2019 6:03:32 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 6:13:29 AM   
zakblood

cpu

AMD A6-9225 2.6GHz
Intel Celeron
Intel Pentium N4200
Intel Atom x5-Z8300
AMD A4 4300M
MediaTek MTK (never heard of so avoid any) as cheap

means slow donkeys, so A6, A4 celeron and pentium and atom avoid, no matter what number is behind it

your looking for

AMD A9 AMD Ryzen or I3 at least, with anything else being better I5 etc etc or I7

4gb is the least amount of system ram i'd get, but 8gb is better, but depends on your budget

hard drive size

well again 64GB Flash or 32GB eMMC aren't hard drives, so while fast, there next to no good what so ever regarding space

but saying this, if it says 2TB, then you may get a low end and slow 5400 2 TB drive which while it will work, maybe a slow and low end laptop model, suited to save power, but not work so well with game, yes it will 100% work, just slow the whole rest of the system down regarding access time etc

256GB SSD is better, but with limit space, but faster, so do you really need 2 TB? ask yourself, as for me given the choice a SSD or solid state drive with less, like a 256 is better than a standard 5400 2TB hard drive any day of the week, unless you load shed loads of apps and junk and games, then that's your call, i'm just offering my advice

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 6:19:37 AM   
zakblood

onboard video is just that, it's a CPU with a GPU bolted on, so not only does the CPU the brains of the machine, have to do the job of 2, being the GPU as well, it shares the system ram, which is always slower than GPU ram on a dedicated video card, so either DDR 3 or 5, with video ram being DDR 5 etc, as the faster it is, the less latency eg waiting, which won't happen much of a GPU onboard, as it will always be waiting and catching up anyway, as it's slower, but a dedicated video chip would be better with it's own memory and cause less issue regarding frame rate drop and ghosting on screen and latency issues

so it all depends on budget with out even mentioned screen size, as 14 is workable, with 15, 16 and 17 being better, but less portable and using more battery in the process, same as onboard uses less power with a dedicated video using more, then again add in more power with a faster cpu, and battery life also goes down, so again less portable

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 6:26:04 AM   
zakblood

so what i'm saying, is check the spec of the best game you play, it will give a minimum and best spec, if your ok with the min, buy a laptop to suit as i will work and will be cheaper, if you don't like it running slower and looking worse, than spend more and get a gaming not work laptop, which battery will last less, give more heat to warm up the legs and last less on the train, but work better on games, and no slow down on apps and other stuff regarding work

so the more you spend, the quicker normally it will be, the lower you go down the list and more of the cheaper end, will be less,

so you will get what you pay for, with some low end laptops being next to useless on anything other than loading windows and reading messages and maybe a card game in the background at once, while gaming laptops will run the latest games, 3 or 4 pages of spread sheets and have another couple of apps and programs working in the back, and heat the office up as well once plugged in, but as soon as they run off batteries, the M in the cpu part and GPU dedicated part with slow down to conserve power and cause less heat, so will effect it's ability to run on batteries at full power unless you manually alter it and then a 6 hour battery will or could last less than an hour or less on some models

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 1:28:01 PM   
ringoblood

Thank You Zak you just saved my ass, thank you, LOL,

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 1:45:50 PM   
zakblood

to make it more simple, apart from memory and sometimes hard drives, you can't change anything else once bought, so buy a slow CPU, most boards may fit another one in them, but 9 out of ten makers won't give you the option of upgrading to a newer cpu, so buy slow and cheap, that's what you will always have

memory is different, you buy with a 4gb chip, more often than not you either will or should have the ability to install more, or replace what you have had replace with larger of the same type, so 2x2gb chips can be replaced with another 4gb one on a 2 slot board given 6gb or take out both and replace making 8gb etc etc

if youre laptop comes with a hard drive, more often than not you can replace it with a SSD solid state drive or another larger and even faster HDD, so a 500GB slower HDD which is a 5400 can be replaced with a 7200 HDD or a SSD but mainly for a smaller size, as SSD cost more than HDD, so don't expect to get a 2 TB SDD for anything other than silly money

(in reply to ringoblood)
Post #: 9
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 2:11:35 PM   
rico21

I use two computers, a normal for internet. Like all pirate programs on the earth can slow down my PC, I do not care!
A second best performer for playing not connected to the internet for the reasons above.
Try to buy old laptop companies that renew their fleet of PCs, there are always nuggets in the lot.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 10
RE: Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... - 4/23/2019 6:24:20 PM   
Kuokkanen

8 GB of RAM at least. Processor and graphic adapter according to your budget. Many laptops should have the room (with expense of optical disc drive maybe) for both SSD (Solid State Drive) and HDD, so small capacity SSD for operating system & Power Point and large HDD for games. Used & refurbished laptop likely has more performance than new of equal cost.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Needing to replace a laptop, so advice... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI