Events

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Rand6897

Events

Post by Rand6897 »

I have an 'is it possible' question regarding creation of an event; I have seen in scenarios events that are triggered by the elimination or disbanding of an unit.

Here is what I would like to accomplish, will it work?

I have created convoy units, comprised of varying numbers of ships, in an attempt to bring the Battle of the Atlantic into an existing WW2 scenario. I have these convoys set to allow reconstitution if eliminated. Is it possible to create an event (because of the ability to reconstitute) that if a convoy is eliminated a supply or reinforcement penalty is inflicted for a period of time, maybe a month long penalty. Secondly, if this unit is rebuilt and consequently destroyed again would the event fire again (and possibly again, and again).

Any thoughts? Many Thanks.

sPzAbt653

RE: Events

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Pictured is your Trigger.

Some events stay 'ON', some are removed once triggered and need to then be 'enabled'. Best thing to do is to create a small test scenario and run tests on stuff. Plus it's fun and educational !

Attachments
Help31.jpg
Help31.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Rand6897

Post by Rand6897 »

Thanks for the tip sPzAbt653.

Been playing around with different ways to approach this and I've noticed another snag, fortunately at every step I save as a different version so I can always retreat if something doesn't work.

Here is the snag.

There are already formation order events. If I create a new formation it changes the formations that the events are linked to. Is there a way to add formations without screwing up these events? Just hoping, I pretty much have accepted I will need to go back and edit the events, reassigning the original formation.

Thanks
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

If you look in the Scenario Dump, you will see that Formations are assigned Numbers. Formations are recognized by the order they are in. Insert or relocate a Formation and the order changes. Maybe also watch this one:

TOAW Tutorial - Creating new units and formations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGn4rK_TCQ8
Rand6897

Post by Rand6897 »

Thanks, that maybe good news. If I change the name of the new formation to "zMerchant Convoys" hopefully the the others will regain their original ID numbers.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

To clarify, if your formations are 1 2 3 4 and you move 4 in between 1 and 2 it does not become 1 4 2 3, it is still 1 2 3 4 but now 4 is 2, 2 is 3 and 3 is 4 [:)]

Also note that there is currently a bug in the Formation Editor that could make doing anything problematic.

If possible, it is best to determine your Formation Names and Order first, in mind if not on paper, then do your oob following that. If you need to add new formations, put them at the end of the OOB until such a time that they can be relocated [;)]
Rand6897

Post by Rand6897 »

Pz'653,

Appreciate it. I understood the numbering sequence but thought ID assigned and not the order created determined the formation number.

I went to the last unit (a ground unit) in the last formation and reassigned to a new formation. I then copied a naval unit in another formation, moved the copied naval unit into the formation with the ground unit and deleted the ground unit. If I was smart I would have copied the original ground unit first, but I am an idiot.
Now I have a formation at the end of the list to build (or move) my convoy units into. I will need to reset it's objective to reflect change. Of course I will need to do it over because I deleted a ground unit. I at least know I can get to my goal.

I originally thought about a supply reduction based on convoys eliminated. I think a better approach would be to create units (located out of the combat zone) that disbanding would either decrease/increase allied supply levels. This way I can control the events during play testing based on allied/axis commitment to the Battle of the Atlantic. I can provide the Germans with an option of disbanding subs for either a supply or reinforcement advantage if they forgo sub warfare.

Thanks again

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”