Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 4/20/2019 9:22:16 AM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

Looks like it is going to be a hell of a fight!! Good luck, Comrade Larry!!

And good hunting to you my friend. May the wind always be at your back. May the rains fall gentle upon your fields.

Comrade Larry fought WW1, et al, and now resurrected for the 'War of NATO Aggression'.

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 31
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 4/20/2019 10:19:59 AM   
mussey

Soviets have a multitude of strategic options at their disposal:
- x6 AB Divs.
- x4 plausible reserve Fronts, each with several land Armies, and an Air Army. In wartime, they most likely arrive/fight as their own formations:
- Northern/Polish Front is the most immediate with x2 Polish Armies under the former SNGF with its assets.
- Baltic Front
- Belorussian Front
- Carpathian Front
- (Kiev and Odessa Fronts are included but you may want to negotiate how they are used, since they most likely would have been deployed against Greece & Turkey).
- Navy: both Northern Fleet (Murmansk), and Baltic Fleet (Kalingrad).
- Once W. Berlin falls, the 20th Gds Army is available, possibly delayed by rest/resupply?

NATO has a lot of ground to defend, from Norway, through Denmark, W. Germany, to Austria (if invaded). If properly deployed, the x6 Soviet AB Div.s can create massive havoc, but limited to drop one AB Div and several Special Forces Bns per game turn. They can fly a long way.

Here are some NATO observations:
- US reinforcements begin arriving almost immediately by several modes:
- US 2nd Fleet with x4 Carriers arrive in a special sea box, combined with 2nd Mar and 82nd AB divs (combine with mobile/marine units of other NATO members), can counter Soviet moves into Norway or northern Germany.
- REFORGER (Return 0f Forces to Germany) arrive automatically to propositioned depots located in Mannheim and Pirmasens, Germany.
- Land reinforcements that arrive either in England or Rotterdam, NE.
- 3rd USAF to airfields in England.
- These include an additional Corps (III) that most likely would help the Bremen area. If they arrive in time...
- Denmark is probably lost. If so, southern Norway and northern Germany/Netherlands are in grave peril. (grave, is there any other kind?)
- Austria (if invaded) needs to retreat rapidly and try to link with advancing Italian and other NATO units.
- France has x3 very small Corps and where they are deployed is crucial. (Bavaria?)

There's more, but this is a good start that hopefully sheds light on the situation.

< Message edited by mussey -- 4/20/2019 10:23:46 AM >

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 32
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 4/20/2019 7:43:17 PM   
Hellen_slith

Gen. Meyer is called upon to command E-FORGER. WG Pres. Scheel, on the verge of retirement, declares Hamburg an "open city."

NATO ground forces move to secure BRHDs. BAOR is seen on the move.

All across Western Europe, eyes are turned skyward watching a virtual international air show.

Refugees panic (again) as all civilian air traffic over WG is grounded.

The world is once again at war.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 33
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 4/22/2019 7:12:14 PM   
Hellen_slith

NATO has moved. An essential bridge for WP was destroyed in Czechoslovakia by US F-111s, in an effort to slow down the rail there.

Hamburg: I have found that trying to defend Hamburg is always a lost cause in this scene, so thus the NATO move to declare it an open city. I hate to see it reduced to ruins for a lost cause, so I decided to let Comrade Larry have that point, in the hope that any other forward movement West fr. Hamburg will be hindered enough to allow me some much needed time for regrouping on my side, while he just uses supply to race forward.

NATO has a lot of points (victory points, that is) that can be sacrificed for the higher cause at this time, and Hamburg was one of them. I also wanted to try something a bit different in that area ... so, we shall see, there, what our Communist friend does with the opportunity.

US V Corps has established positions around Fulda Gap, trying to slow him down there, too.

Notes: I had two CTDs during my turn, the first was negligible (having saved my move prior) but the second CTD, I lost about 30 minutes of work there, so that was frustrating, but I think I recovered my movements there.

NATO air is not too bad at this point: flying mainly from England right now, until I can secure some more SAMs closer to the front.

Well, I would post a screen shot of the action, but my internet is a bit wanky until Wednesday when we are supposed to get new hardware, so ... until then ... the West holds its breath!!

D

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 34
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/23/2019 6:26:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Damon and the front lines are changing. I've cleared out Berlin and repaired the rail there and I'm in the process of moving a lot of the second wave troops to the southwest. I'm invading Austria with the Checks and the Poles and whoever else is there to help out. I may be winning the air war, I'm not sure. Damon is busy making MLR's and rushing troops to meet the Soviets. I'm not seeing a lot of broken bridges but it's early still. I'm thinking it's about time to launch the special forces into his backfield to see what kind of havoc I can cause. I've got some heli-borne troops and some paratroops to deliver some troops in the far west, way behind everybody. Maybe I can capture his supply sources.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/23/2019 6:50:54 PM >

I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me. - Isaac Newton

Post #: 35
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/23/2019 9:38:38 PM   
larryfulkerson

I thought I ought to fly some paratroopes to the top of Norway and I grabbed some bases and an airfield. Then I flew some Mig-21's up there for a CAP. I'm thinking of moving some of my Backfire bombers up there for their anti-naval skills. The idea is to move south capturing bases along the way. As long as there is a way to get some supply to go down there. Everything depends on supply.

Attachment (1)

I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me. - Isaac Newton

Post #: 36
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/24/2019 2:28:26 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've been moving units and the front lines have changed. I see Damon has moved his reserves toward the front lines in the middle and there's considerably more NATO troops there now. It's too early to tell who's winning. NATO is going to get a lot of reinforcements from the US and that will change things. I haven't moved all the units yet and the first combat round hasn't been resolved. The electricity went off and I lost about an hour's worth of work. I've since learned to save more often.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 4/24/2019 2:29:30 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/24/2019 2:35:37 PM   
Zovs

Looks like a good build up and a massive fight about to happen...

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

Post #: 38
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/26/2019 8:35:01 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here's a look from my side of the board at the end of NATO turn 3, with a general idea of where I've put NATO (for now :)) Italians / Aus etc. in south, Fr / US around Fulda, a mix of WG / Belgium / Dutch around center and BAOR trying to hold most of the north. I was surprised at the unexpected Norway Irregulars that showed up (I guess an event happened) but that freed up some Norsemen to float to Bremerhaven.

Lots of interdiction on me that move, lots of air show ... unit report estimated WP lost ~900 air units (damaged or destroyed), I lost ~350 ... Interesting game!!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 39
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/26/2019 11:28:50 PM   
mussey

quote:

Norway Irregulars that showed

Not thru Events, just normal reinforcements (Norwegian Home Guard).

Col. Mussbu

Post #: 40
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/26/2019 11:36:23 PM   
mussey

quote:

It's too early to tell who's winning.

Exactly, the to and fro makes for an exciting scenario. When a breakthrough seems imminent, NATO reserves and reinforcements arrive in the nick of time. As the Soviet reserve Fronts arrive at the front, another breakthrough seems likely, until...

Keep it up gentlemen!

Col. Mussbu

Post #: 41
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/27/2019 12:44:12 PM   
mussey

quote:

The idea is to move south capturing bases along the way. As long as there is a way to get some supply to go down there. Everything depends on supply.

As per supply provided by sea transport, there is a way to alter this by Events. If I understand this correctly, certain Triggers (such as a unit occupying a range of hexes) can add or reduce supply levels. I have yet to do so (advanced-level learning curve!), but may be included in future versions...

If done correctly, it would provide an incentive for naval units to try to control certain sea areas.

Col. Mussbu

Post #: 42
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/27/2019 4:35:53 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey

quote:

Norway Irregulars that showed

Not thru Events, just normal reinforcements (Norwegian Home Guard).

Oh, ok, I never payed any attention to that part of the map before, so it was new to me. I'll have to start watching the planned reinforcements better! D

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 43
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/27/2019 11:43:42 PM   
mussey

quote:

Oh, ok, I never payed any attention to that part of the map before, so it was new to me.

No worries, this will be new for most folk, kit, and kin.

Up north, Comrade Larry is playing a devious opening gambit, fraught with peril on both sides. By dropping one of his precious AB Divs. he's making a gamble that Narvik can be captured quickly. In England, NATO should have the beginnings of the US 2nd Flt., 2nd Mar Div., and 82nd AB. Additionally the UK has a small Air Mobile Div. Do you take the bait and try to reinforce our beleaguered Norwegian allies?

Col. Mussbu

Post #: 44
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 4/28/2019 12:22:23 AM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey

quote:

Do you take the bait and try to reinforce our beleaguered Norwegian allies?

Nah. Comrade Larry should know by now I don't go for bait. I'm trying the "Rabbit Gambit" myself down in Cz, seems like NATO could be a bit worrisome for EG and CZ, with FOUR corps-sized sliding up the border there. I am counting on the peoples uprising there!!! To make the Hungarians and Poles ... SURRENDER!!! LoL :)

Seriously, this is such a fun game. Loving it!!

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 45
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 4/28/2019 7:24:35 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Ah you should have asked me, I created PDF that includes the errata, lol. I have it on my local HDD.

Oh, sweet, yes post that bad boy on the cloud (or you can email it to me :)

I was looking at the old rule book the other day, noted that in a few places they (SPI / S&T) mentioned updates that they had planned to publish (but never did, to my knowledge.)

I got a chuckle from reading about how you could send the developers a question, via snail-mail, if it was posed as a "yes or no" query LoL. It would be a blast to find any questions / replies that were exchanged back then. I have a feeling they didn't just say "yes or no" but probably sent you some long thesis concerning and maybe a coupon for the next big game.

BTW ... I found today, up on a shelf, an old boxed hard copy of SPI's "Barbarossa!" scene complete w/ counters, never played .... not a monster, but hefty enough. Was that ever done in TOAW, I wonder? I have it out and will show my son how us old farts used to get our kicks "gaming" LoL!!

Ok, well, sorry for the tangent there. Have a great day!!
D

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 46
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 4/29/2019 12:28:56 AM   
Hellen_slith

One of the things I've noticed about the map, is that it says that the big area (around Stockholm and northward) is neutral territory? But, it also shows a lot of WP points there. ... and airfields ... and NATO observers have noted WP air sorties into and over that "neutral" territory.

I don't know all the rules, but I was just thinking ... what if the 82d Airborne got a hair and decided, well ... I dunno, I am kind of confused about the status of Sweden. Is that a "no-fly" zone, or not?

Just an observation, and (in keeping w/ the spirit of the original table top rules) my Yes or No question is, "May WP fly over neutral Sweded (by "fly", I mean everything from airborne drops to simply moving air assets.)

Ok, well, Thank You!!!
D

LoL, I meant SWEDEN, not Sweded ok :)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 4/29/2019 12:31:29 AM >

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 47
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 4/29/2019 1:15:06 AM   
mussey

quote:

"May WP fly over neutral Sweded (by "fly", I mean everything from airborne drops to simply moving air assets.)

yes. Unfortunately, TOAW cannot prevent air units from flying over neutral hexes. In the spirit of the game, a house rule would be no land units on either side should be allowed to move into neutral territory.

Col. Mussbu

Post #: 48
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/1/2019 9:27:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what it looks like toward the north end of the front lines and you can see what a traffic jam it is. The lines are broken and open and dynamic and it's looking like the Soviet advance has come to a grinding halt all of a sudden. I may have to pull some units back to keep them from getting cut off, isolated, and destroyed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 49
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/2/2019 11:29:03 AM   
Zovs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith
Oh, sweet, yes post that bad boy on the cloud (or you can email it to me :)

I was looking at the old rule book the other day, noted that in a few places they (SPI / S&T) mentioned updates that they had planned to publish (but never did, to my knowledge.)

I got a chuckle from reading about how you could send the developers a question, via snail-mail, if it was posed as a "yes or no" query LoL. It would be a blast to find any questions / replies that were exchanged back then. I have a feeling they didn't just say "yes or no" but probably sent you some long thesis concerning and maybe a coupon for the next big game.

BTW ... I found today, up on a shelf, an old boxed hard copy of SPI's "Barbarossa!" scene complete w/ counters, never played .... not a monster, but hefty enough. Was that ever done in TOAW, I wonder? I have it out and will show my son how us old farts used to get our kicks "gaming" LoL!!

Ok, well, sorry for the tangent there. Have a great day!!
D

Here is the PDF. I don't think we have enough board war game conversions so I'd say build it! (regards to Barbarossa).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 50
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/3/2019 4:12:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Here is the PDF. I don't think we have enough board war game conversions so I'd say build it! (regards to Barbarossa).

Thanks for the PDF...I've d/l-ed the bad boy and I'll give it a good look over. I propose we adopt this project as our next conversion and let everybody have a part of the conversion. I'm pretty sure that there's a good map we can borrow and give credit for of course, and there's plenty of OOB's we can use if you don't want to adopt the OOB of the PDF and there's plenty of counter colors we can use, thank you very much whoever did all that work. I've forgotten your name already...please forgive me. I know personally at least two scenario masters that can help. You know who you are. Let's see what we can do, what do you guys say?

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 51
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/3/2019 4:15:50 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

Thanks for the PDF...I've d/l-ed the bad boy and I'll give it a good look over. I propose we adopt this project as our next conversion and let everybody have a part of the conversion. I'm pretty sure that there's a good map we can borrow and give credit for of course, and there's plenty of OOB's we can use if you don't want to adopt the OOB of the PDF and there's plenty of counter colors we can use, thank you very much whoever did all that work. I've forgotten your name already...please forgive me. I know personally at least two scenario masters that can help. You know who you are. Let's see what we can do, what do you guys say?

Hey wait a minute. This PDF pertains to "The Next War" and we've already got one of those scenarios. Are we going to convert this and give it a different name or something?

Post #: 52
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/3/2019 12:19:35 PM   
Zovs

Larry,

I sent you an email to explain it. Someone just was asking about the old company SPI and how their Q&A department worked, I just happened to create a PDF by reformatting and adding n the errata for this board game several years ago and posted that.

I have done the same with SPI's WIE, WitE/WitW, TNW, CFNA; DG WIE; TSR's Barbarossa; etc. and others perhaps. It was something I wanted to do.

Post #: 53
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/3/2019 12:21:58 PM   
larryfulkerson

Wow. You're worth your weight in gold. I'm really glad you're part of the community. I'm looking forward to anything you produce.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 54
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/3/2019 3:04:17 PM   
Zovs

Larry,

Thank you, you are too kind. I don't know about gold, but I'd rather be better then wood, hay or stubble, lol.

My SPI WIE will take a bit, the editor just crashed on me and foolishly I lost about 2 hours of edits. So I'll have to grab a cup of joe and do it again.

Post #: 55
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/3/2019 6:01:09 PM   
Hellen_slith

Comrade Larry has forced an Austrian surrender in our game, so I have begun regrouping the Italians that were earmarked for action there down south. In return, I think he might be surprised by some surprise Danish movements in the Baltic (when he gets my reply turn, that is ... still working on it.) This is such a fun scene to play.

Thoughts: I was a bit surprised by Larry's moves this turn (he had almost 15,000 movements and a 45-minute playback the last turn, but this turn was only ~5,000 and only a 10 minute playback ... most of which seemed to be air asset movement and a LOT of engineers.) I managed to hold better than I expected. Is WP gearing up for a surprise move somewhere, I wonder? Or is Comrade Larry cackling w/ glee, thinking up a master plan for my annihilation??

We shall see. So far (and I am only about around ~1000 movements at the moment, lots of rail and air asset noodling, trying to keep down his interdicts) but I think this is going to be a most interesting game.

Will post a screenshot of "end-of-turn" to show our progress. PS Austrian surrender resulted in removal of all Austrian units, as it should be. That's ok, though, it opened up some much needed movement points for the Italians, so I don't have to worry about shuffling the Austrians now, can concentrate on reinforcing South Germany.

Great game!! I do love this scene. TTYL!!! D

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 56
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/4/2019 12:50:14 AM   
Hellen_slith

British SAS / airborne have just now infiltrated Karl Marx-Stadt and nearby cities. I am hoping for a good dice roll at end of turn (to get an EG surrender) so, Comrader Larry, this is getting to be a real nail-biter here on my end. I am still moving US FORGER V/VI/VII/VIII Corps toward Praha, too. It looks like you're in trouble, man.

Juat saying ... don't get TOO discouraged when you see this rabbit I've hopped.

There is still a lot of game left, but NATO right now ... let's just say, I am turning the screws now.

That what you get for kicking Austrians.

I predict: NATO OV easy.

D

Post #: 57
RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. l... - 5/5/2019 1:59:39 PM   
mussey

quote:

Is WP gearing up for a surprise move somewhere, I wonder? Or is Comrade Larry cackling w/ glee, thinking up a master plan for my annihilation??

Hellen, have your recon picked-up where the the Soviet reserve Fronts are? The Baltic, Belorussian, and Carpathian pack a lot of punch with 2-3 armies each, (not to mention the Kiev and Odessa Fronts if in play). This may be a clue as to his intentions...

The loss of the Austrians hurt.

< Message edited by mussey -- 5/5/2019 2:01:16 PM >

Col. Mussbu

Post #: 58
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/5/2019 5:31:13 PM   
Hellen_slith

Here is the map at the end of NATO turn 4:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 59
RE: The Next War 1979 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry - 5/5/2019 9:16:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

New moves from Damon. He has thrust some troops into my front lines and has made a breech and I need to fix it ASAP because this is a game changer. I'm not sure what kind of reply I can mount.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Next War 19799 Expanded ( Beta 1.0 ) Damon v. larry Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI