Soviets have a multitude of strategic options at their disposal:
- x6 AB Divs.
- x4 plausible reserve Fronts, each with several land Armies, and an Air Army. In wartime, they most likely arrive/fight as their own formations:
- Northern/Polish Front is the most immediate with x2 Polish Armies under the former SNGF with its assets.
- Baltic Front
- Belorussian Front
- Carpathian Front
- (Kiev and Odessa Fronts are included but you may want to negotiate how they are used, since they most likely would have been deployed against Greece & Turkey).
- Navy: both Northern Fleet (Murmansk), and Baltic Fleet (Kalingrad).
- Once W. Berlin falls, the 20th Gds Army is available, possibly delayed by rest/resupply?
NATO has a lot of ground to defend, from Norway, through Denmark, W. Germany, to Austria (if invaded). If properly deployed, the x6 Soviet AB Div.s can create massive havoc, but limited to drop one AB Div and several Special Forces Bns per game turn. They can fly a long way.
Here are some NATO observations:
- US reinforcements begin arriving almost immediately by several modes:
- US 2nd Fleet with x4 Carriers arrive in a special sea box, combined with 2nd Mar and 82nd AB divs (combine with mobile/marine units of other NATO members), can counter Soviet moves into Norway or northern Germany.
- REFORGER (Return 0f Forces to Germany) arrive automatically to propositioned depots located in Mannheim and Pirmasens, Germany.
- Land reinforcements that arrive either in England or Rotterdam, NE.
- 3rd USAF to airfields in England.
- These include an additional Corps (III) that most likely would help the Bremen area. If they arrive in time...
- Denmark is probably lost. If so, southern Norway and northern Germany/Netherlands are in grave peril. (grave, is there any other kind?)
- Austria (if invaded) needs to retreat rapidly and try to link with advancing Italian and other NATO units.
- France has x3 very small Corps and where they are deployed is crucial. (Bavaria?)
There's more, but this is a good start that hopefully sheds light on the situation.
< Message edited by mussey -- 4/20/2019 10:23:46 AM >
The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"