Radar questions

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

CaptCarnage

Radar questions

Post by CaptCarnage »

First off, what is the difference between red and white circles? I can see the whites are longer range but anything else?

And is it a viable strategy to knock them out? There are so many of them.
"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
drmweaver2

RE: Radar questions

Post by drmweaver2 »

A long answer isn't as clear... so here's the short version.

Why wouldn't you want to take out a radar site?
Only possible disadvantage I see is MAYBE tipping off a raid is coming nearby.
But if you took it out a few days earlier, that is no longer much of a relevant consideration.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Red circles are CHL (chain home low) sites that can detect aircraft flying as low as 500' The white circles are CH (chain home high) That can detect only above 3000'

In BTR these are called Freya and Mammut sites respectively.
simovitch

CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

ORIGINAL: drmweaver2

A long answer isn't as clear... so here's the short version.

Why wouldn't you want to take out a radar site?
Only possible disadvantage I see is MAYBE tipping off a raid is coming nearby.
But if you took it out a few days earlier, that is no longer much of a relevant consideration.

but is it worth it? There are so many overlapping ones, that the question is whether it is worth it or not to spend raids and bombs on radars...

But yeah about tipoff I actually tried to knock a few out in the Netherlands and Belgium and it seems that the result was a massive influx of enemy fighters in that area, so the next raid group I planned a little north of NL was completely obliterated, I lost 50% of bombers.

So why wouldnt you take one out? Maybe thats why... Dont know if they are related but it makes sense as a defensive tactic.
"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

but is it worth it? There are so many overlapping ones, that the question is whether it is worth it or not to spend raids and bombs on radars...

You have lots of FB units, use them. Just take out 3 or 4 along you ingress/egress route and use your RCM units on the Mammut sites. That should cut down on the bad guys reaction time. I used this as a tactic in a PBEM game and it worked pretty good. Yes it does give your plan away, so every now and again, you send your main force in a different direction and just use a diversionary force through the hole. Keeps the other guy guessing.
warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
drmweaver2

Post by drmweaver2 »

Is it worth it?
Obviously, your mileage may vary.
For me, it IS worth it - starting on Turn 1.

My first 10 turns in a 500+ turn campaign always have at least 4 radar target missions. Turn 1 may have as many as 20.

Shorter scenarios...adjust as time, resources and your goals (whether game defined victory conditions or just what you want) permit or demand. To be honest, I've only played a couple of the shorter scenarios as I decided to "learn as I go", though I have re-started campaigns a couple times after realizing I hadn't understood what I was doing the first 30 turns (a couple times).
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

Many thanks for your insight warshipbuilder.

And as for dreamwesver, I also start with taking out Radar Stations but thats why I want to know if these are viable approaches.
And not for a few turns.
If you are new to the game and start to tell what people should do in Long Campaigns riggt before stating you have hardly played a Long Campaign then better hold your horses.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

ORIGINAL: simovitch
In BTR these are called Freya and Mammut sites respectively.
Hmmm, not really. Freya was an air search radar with rotating antenna, Mammut was based on 8 static Freya antennas (2 rows of 4 mounted atop of the other). Mammut had a massive range increase over Freya.
Frey could only detect range and direction but required other radar types (like Würzburg) for alt but should be able to detect aircraft on all alt bands (low alt detection range was limited due to physics though).
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
drmweaver2

Post by drmweaver2 »

ORIGINAL: CaptCarnage
And as for dreamwesver ... better hold your horses.
A careful read of my post would show that I didn't tell anyone what to do. I stated what I do and made an argument supporting it.

G* **** ** * ***e.
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

:)
thanks for all the replies guys
warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

Here is a list of the LW long range radar sites

Alkmar
Avranches
Barth
Bolzano
Borkum
Briest
Florennes
Grossenbrode
Jever
Langenhagen
Le Bourget
Monchy Breton
Morlaix
Nordhorn
Pforzheim
Rechlin-Larz
Rennes
Salzburg
Sint Denijs Westrem
Soesterberg
Stade
Volkel
Westerland
Zeltweg
warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

ORIGINAL: warshipbuilder
Rechlin-Larz
Larz should be Laerz, please check for proper in-game name (just in case it's a typo in the post here)
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

ORIGINAL: warshipbuilder
Rechlin-Larz
Larz should be Laerz, please check for proper in-game name (just in case it's a typo in the post here)
It's not a typo here, I'll get this fixed.
simovitch

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”