Scenario Editor

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
Marmadukethe1st

Scenario Editor

Post by Marmadukethe1st »

I bought AOW4 last year and had no trouble uploading older version scenarios into the editor and reformatting them for the newer version. I started a new PBEM game with someone who just bought the game and realized you had updated a few months ago so I downloaded and installed.

After starting up the game the scenario editor does not recognize any older scenarios. They do not even appear in the manifest to upload them. Any help would be greatly appreciated as one of the best things about this game is the 400 plus older scenarios that can be formatted to this version.

Thanks in advance
Shadrach

RE: Scenario Editor

Post by Shadrach »

By "manifest" do you mean the "Open Scenario" dialog? This thing below?

Make sure you're looking in the correct directory?
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
Marmadukethe1st

I see all of the scenarios that come with the download when the editor is enabled. I have edited and reformatted many scenarios (its not my first time) so I am looking in the right place.

What does not show up are any scenarios from older versions - including the older version of AOW#4 that I edited. They showed up in the previous version of #4 before I downloaded and installed the updated version from December of last year.

They simply do not appear in the scenario folder - I hope that was clear.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

OK sorry I misunderstood - just needed to make things clear(er) [;)]

This is a pretty standard Windows file selection dialog, and should show all files matching a certain pattern. I.e. for scenarios it will be *.SCE.
I don't think anything's changed in the newer patches to affect this at all.

What are the file extensions of these files, I'm not familiar with if older versions of TOAW used a different extension?

Also a (hidden) workaround that works - in the "File name" field, type an asterisk (*), it will revert to showing all files in the folder, regardless of extension.
- Norm Koger
Marmadukethe1st

That is what I thought as well. I started editing scenarios with Century of Warfare edition 15 years ago and all extensions of sce files seem like they should be standard as I have always been able to upload them to the editor. All versions have always had the sce for the file extension.

The head scratcher here is the editor does not even recognize their existence. They are completely invisible inside the editor program.

I tried the * asterisk and all files show up except the older sce - lol. Wow

Thanks for the attempted help Shadrach
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

No worries (I think) [:D]
Hey a screenshot of the dialog might help. But really this shouldn't happen if the scenarios are named *.SCE.

If it persists you should open a support ticket, that's what they're there for [;)]
- Norm Koger
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Shadrach
No worries (I think) [:D]
Hey a screenshot of the dialog might help. But really this shouldn't happen if the scenarios are named *.SCE.

If it persists you should open a support ticket, that's what they're there for [;)]

Maybe you could try running those problem scenarios through TOAWIII's editor first and THEN try to run them through TOAWIV's editor.

emergency kittens:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1108534189731786753

If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Doing an uninstall/fresh install like we are told to do to update that games removes all of the scenarios from the Documents folder.

This: After the game was installed there wasn't a TOAW folder in Documents. I started FitE2 and only after I started a game did the Documents/Opart/.../Graphics Override folder appear. A fresh install does not put anything in the Documents/.../Graphics Override file. It's totally empty. It's no surprise it's empty since a TOAW folder didn't even exist until I started a scenario. The game looks in that folder for modified files and finds nothing there. You have to manually put the correct files there if you want them to be used.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Marmadukethe1st

I bought AOW4 last year and had no trouble uploading older version scenarios into the editor and reformatting them for the newer version. I started a new PBEM game with someone who just bought the game and realized you had updated a few months ago so I downloaded and installed.

After starting up the game the scenario editor does not recognize any older scenarios. They do not even appear in the manifest to upload them. Any help would be greatly appreciated as one of the best things about this game is the 400 plus older scenarios that can be formatted to this version.

Thanks in advance
Do you have the Steam version? If so, be aware that it has it's own folders separate from the Matrix version ones. Even if you don't have the Steam version, the Load Scenario dialog may come up, initially, in the Steam folders. Be sure where it actually is - you have to look all the way back to the root.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

This was with the non Steam version. I'm going to do an install on my laptop and see how it goes. I'll start with the distribution version and then .20 and .21 per these instructions tm.asp?m=4564492

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

What a mess, thanks steam! [:-]
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

[:D]

Marmadukethe1st

Thank you everyone for your attempted help, you guys are the bomb. [&o]

I ended up downloading it through Steam and lo and behold - it works.

Special shout out to Curtis Lemay - the scenario I was most frustrated about was CFNA. You have the discipline of a samurai to transfer the immense data of the biggest monster game known to humans to a PC format. Kudos to a master designer. We had a game club in the 80`s that did all the monsters with multiple players per side. We played War in Europe with a dozen, Wacht Am Rein with six and so on - I miss those days.

Just a tip for you sir - I reformatted the Rommel opening for 1 day turns. You would not believe how much more accurate the swirling battles are. We playtested it and it works with a couple of tweaks.

We scratched all of the shock effects and the house rule of allowing the rolling depots to deploy off the main road. Our reasoning for this was the shock factor would be up to the player rather than a historical timetable in deploying forward stockpiles in preparation for an offensive. The attacks burn themselves out as historically and with the cap of 25 hexes it works.

We also reduced the recon levels to 15% for the Axis and 10% for the Allies - reducing to zero and then back up to 10% when Monty arrives. Try it grand wizard - you might find it useful.

Return to “Tech Support”