Soviet Support Units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Zemke

Soviet Support Units

Post by Zemke »

I am sure the answer to this is somewhere on the forums, but finding that...well lets not discuss the search engine here.

Anyway, can you build too many SU as the Soviets. For example, what is a good number of total Independent Tank Regiments to build? Same for Heavy Tank Regiments. I have kind of used a guess based on what my industry can produce. Also the Heavy Tank Regiments seem to hold up much better, which is to be expected.

I have LOTS of Artillery SU, Ski Units, MG Battalions, Sapper Units, and on and on. I may have gone overboard. It is 1944 and the Soviet Army has around 7.7 million troops in the line. I stopped building Divisions a while back.
"Actions Speak Louder than Words"
Dinglir

RE: Soviet Support Units

Post by Dinglir »

The first thing I would ask is: What is your vehicle pool relative to requirements?

If the answer is "Everything is OK", by all means build some more SU's.
If the answer is "I need more vehicles", then don't build any SU's.

I would also argue that how much and what to build depends on your playing style.
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
Zug

RE: Soviet Support Units

Post by Zug »

Just look at your pools and build the stuff you have plenty of. There's no 'upkeep cost' so as long as you've got 'em, build 'em.

I've just played one Soviet grand campaign, and by 1944 I had a standing army of 8 million, with 25,000 tanks and 20,000 aircraft. So I reckon you're just about right.

And frankly, even that was too much. I had massive operational reserves. No way to fit all of that in to the typical 1944 front line (single player)
Animals flee this hell. The hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”