Is an all fronts strategy viable against a skilled player?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

No idea

Is an all fronts strategy viable against a skilled player?

Post by No idea »

I am curious about what you think. I am assuming both player are equally skilled. As soviets I think trying to defend all 3 fronts at the same time is a recipe for disaster. What do you think?
Michael T

RE: Is an all fronts strategy viable against a skilled player?

Post by Michael T »

"He who defends everything defends nothing."

And by the time you can defend everything you should no longer be defending.
juv95hrn

Post by juv95hrn »

Whats a viable defense against Fall Blau summer 1942 vs. a human player? Fall back and give ground with speed bump sacrifice units thrown in the way? Counterattack vulnurable spearhead panzers? Interdiction airplanes trying to slow down? What else?
"Yes, I am the henchman of the Devil but my services are primarily ceremonial..."
mouse707

Post by mouse707 »

Equally skilled is very different from german highly skilled player. Against a german player which has a good level or below, you can defend on all fronts, and you will loose on some parts but it's possible. Against a very skilled player, it's the great run. but in practice many german players leave the game before the end of barbarossa if you defend
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

My sense is that a reasonably skilled German can take at least one objective (Leningrad, Moscow, and the Donbass) in 1941 regardless of Soviet defenses. Two is a stretch unless the Germans are really skilled. All three can only result from complete failure on the part of the Soviet player. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't defend all the objectives, though. If you make one really easy, maybe that will enable the Axis to take two when they otherwise would only have been able to take one.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”