Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Diplomacy in MP a waste?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Diplomacy in MP a waste? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/22/2019 7:23:25 PM   
ThunderLizard2

Anyone effectively use diplomacy in MP? I'm thinking it's a waste of MPP best used on tech or units but curious if anyone's had success with it.
Post #: 1
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/23/2019 3:06:33 PM   
ThunderLizard2

OK - maybe rephrasing - does anyone in MP use diplomacy and to what effect?

(in reply to ThunderLizard2)
Post #: 2
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/23/2019 9:13:31 PM   
eriador08

I just used diplomacy in a game on yugoslavia. I took London out in late 1940 so no event could bring them to allies side. It was a success.

In another game i invested as allies in sweden to stop convoys to germany.

I was also able one time to win spain for the axis cause.

I guess sometimes it can be very usefull, but its a gamble in the end.

Post #: 3
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/23/2019 11:03:14 PM   
gamer78

Diplomacy interface looks rich and have many countries. But me too apart from Sweden I don't see much use investing on diplomacy. Mostly declare war and conquer next turn if strong in military.

(in reply to eriador08)
Post #: 4
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/28/2019 8:41:33 PM   
Birdw

In MP games it is essential. The Allies can deny Finland to the Axis, bring Sweden in on the Allied side, or better yet Turkey or Spain. Imagine being the Axis with no Finland or of having Turkey enter the war while you are armpit deep in Soviet units. As the Axis, you can bring Spain, Sweden. Yugoslavia or even the Dutch East Indies into the war on your side. How much easier is Japanese conquest without the hassle of invading the DEI?

It is a huge mistake not to invest in Diplomacy. There is a period of time when the Axis have a huge advantage in diplomacy (after the fall of France and before the war with the Soviets) because they have three countries that can invest in Diplomacy to just the Allies - the UK. Once the USSR and USA enter then the Axis advantage turns to a disadvantage. If the Axis player plays his cards right and a little luck they can get a country to join without fighting them. The Allied player has to watch carefully what diplomacy hits the Axis receive so that they can counter with diplomacy in any particular country. This leads to a cat and mouse game where when one side gets a hit the other player has to decide to risk not countering the diplomacy or countering it. However, it could be a 1 chit hit so you have to observe the reports every turn to see how much diplomacy your opponent has invested.

Birdman

It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 5
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/29/2019 12:40:49 AM   
ThunderLizard2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Birdw

In MP games it is essential. The Allies can deny Finland to the Axis, bring Sweden in on the Allied side, or better yet Turkey or Spain. Imagine being the Axis with no Finland or of having Turkey enter the war while you are armpit deep in Soviet units. As the Axis, you can bring Spain, Sweden. Yugoslavia or even the Dutch East Indies into the war on your side. How much easier is Japanese conquest without the hassle of invading the DEI?

It is a huge mistake not to invest in Diplomacy. There is a period of time when the Axis have a huge advantage in diplomacy (after the fall of France and before the war with the Soviets) because they have three countries that can invest in Diplomacy to just the Allies - the UK. Once the USSR and USA enter then the Axis advantage turns to a disadvantage. If the Axis player plays his cards right and a little luck they can get a country to join without fighting them. The Allied player has to watch carefully what diplomacy hits the Axis receive so that they can counter with diplomacy in any particular country. This leads to a cat and mouse game where when one side gets a hit the other player has to decide to risk not countering the diplomacy or countering it. However, it could be a 1 chit hit so you have to observe the reports every turn to see how much diplomacy your opponent has invested.

Interesting. The diplo success I've had in MP is Turkey flipping once to Axis.

(in reply to Birdw)
Post #: 6
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/29/2019 1:55:44 AM   
amandkm

I often drop chits as Axis on the US to slow its mobilization.

Post #: 7
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/29/2019 2:58:57 PM   
ThunderLizard2

quote:

ORIGINAL: amandkm

I often drop chits as Axis on the US to slow its mobilization.

In MP? That's a lot of MPP to use that's needed for research and units.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 8
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/29/2019 3:50:42 PM   
amandkm

Balance it against the savings of even one or two months in lend-lease to the UK, and more time to make ready for Pearl Harbor and it can be worthwhile. Not saying I always do it, but if I get a good haul in plunder from the Blitzkrieg, I find the risk is worth more than the Corps I could otherwise spend the money on.

YMMV, of course, but its paid off for me sometimes.

Post #: 9
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/29/2019 5:21:11 PM   
4100xpb

quote:

Balance it against the savings of even one or two months in lend-lease to the UK, and more time to make ready for Pearl Harbor and it can be worthwhile. Not saying I always do it, but if I get a good haul in plunder from the Blitzkrieg, I find the risk is worth more than the Corps I could otherwise spend the money on.

This. While I have yet to actually use it *well*, I see the main benefits of diplomacy, at least for the Axis, as buying time.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 10
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/29/2019 6:14:36 PM   
ThunderLizard2

quote:

ORIGINAL: 4100xpb

quote:

This. While I have yet to actually use it *well*, I see the main benefits of diplomacy, at least for the Axis, as buying time. And how many chits?

OK - so what month do you get the US to hold off until? Is it both a delay in lend lease and entry?

< Message edited by ThunderLizard2 -- 3/29/2019 6:15:06 PM >

(in reply to 4100xpb)
Post #: 11
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/29/2019 6:22:05 PM   
amandkm

Lend lease kicks in when Mob% tops 40%. Can be anywhere from early to Mid 1940 usually. I've pushed it into 1941.

Entry is usually done on or near Dec 1941. I have done this as late as feb 1942, and could have kept off longer.

Another benefit is that the production of the US is dependent upon the mob %, so the lower the %, the fewer MPP that the US gets to work with as well.

Post #: 12
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/29/2019 10:10:52 PM   
ThunderLizard2

quote:

Lend lease kicks in when Mob% tops 40%. Can be anywhere from early to Mid 1940 usually. I've pushed it into 1941.

Entry is usually done on or near Dec 1941. I have done this as late as feb 1942, and could have kept off longer.

Another benefit is that the production of the US is dependent upon the mob %, so the lower the %, the fewer MPP that the US gets to work with as well.

How many chits do you throw at this? And what do you take away from to fund it - research or production?

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 13
RE: Diplomacy in MP a waste? - 3/31/2019 2:25:07 AM   
amandkm

Depends on how much I get plundering, but usually 2-3 chits, and I will deduct from production. Need to keep research funded.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Diplomacy in MP a waste? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI