Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mods >> Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment? - 3/16/2019 1:21:18 AM   
Shadrach

I've been looking at editing the fonts - as I've been playing a scenario with a lot of place-names, and I need to make them smaller and not dominate the map so much.

So I've encountered some issues on what fonts to edit, and have some questions:

- What is the difference between the Huge, Small and Standard fonts? I assume these are for the different zoom-levels, but I've seen both the Standard and the Huge apply to the max zoomed-in view.

- Are the fonts types used basically up to the designer of the map, so there could be different results depending on the scenario and what fonts used?

- Is there a clever way to edit fonts and see results immediately? I've noticed the font offsets are changed "on the fly", but sizes seem to require you to exit the fonts editor and pressing Ctrl+R to load map graphics again, it gets tiresome...

- What's the "Map font" used for? The descriptions says they are for "Movement paths" - I assume this is for Elmer paths when shown?

- What are the Red/Silver/Gold colours used for? There's no explanation in the manual about this (apart from the obvious)

And finally - if someone's able to give a more detailed rundown on what the different fonts in the editor are used for it would be appreciated, the manual isn't all that good on explaining this

DocumentFont
MediumFont
DialogMediumFont
EquipmentDialogMediumFont
SmallFont
ObjectiveFont
ToolTipFont
SupplyFont
SmallSupplyFont
HugeSupplyFont
MapFont
SmallMapFont
HugeMapFont
PlaceNameFont
PlaceNameFont1
PlaceNameFont2
PlaceNameFont3
SmallPlaceNameFont
SmallPlaceNameFont1
SmallPlaceNameFont2
SmallPlaceNameFont3
HugePlaceNameFont
HugePlaceNameFont1
HugePlaceNameFont2
HugPlaceNameFont3
UnitInfoSmallFont
UnitInfoMediumFont
UnitInfoValueFont
UnitInfoFixedFont
StatusBarFont
FixedStatusBarFont
TitleScreenFont
TitleFont
SubtitleFont
WideButtonFont
TextButtonFont
EditorFont
EditorEquipmentFont

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 3/16/2019 1:30:31 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment? - 3/16/2019 5:59:03 AM   
cathar1244

I would like to ask a related question. Can any Windows font be made available to the game for use if the .ttf font file is placed in the game's font directories?

Cheers

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment? - 3/16/2019 1:23:36 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244
I would like to ask a related question. Can any Windows font be made available to the game for use if the .ttf font file is placed in the game's font directories?
Cheers

Absolutely, that's what it's there for

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment? - 3/16/2019 3:49:18 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach

- What is the difference between the Huge, Small and Standard fonts? I assume these are for the different zoom-levels, ...

Right.

quote:

...but I've seen both the Standard and the Huge apply to the max zoomed-in view.

Really? Where?

quote:

- Are the fonts types used basically up to the designer of the map, so there could be different results depending on the scenario and what fonts used?

Placenames have four choices: Standard, Alt 1, Alt 2, & Alt 3.

quote:

- Is there a clever way to edit fonts and see results immediately? I've noticed the font offsets are changed "on the fly", but sizes seem to require you to exit the fonts editor and pressing Ctrl+R to load map graphics again, it gets tiresome...

I think the Document Font will show up on the fly in the editor since it is the one used by the Font Editor itself.

quote:

- What's the "Map font" used for? The descriptions says they are for "Movement paths" - I assume this is for Elmer paths when shown?

No. It's for the movement paths. The path that follows the cursor when you are moving a unit.

quote:

- What are the Red/Silver/Gold colours used for? There's no explanation in the manual about this (apart from the obvious)

I don't know. I just included them because they were part of Ralph's font definition.

quote:

And finally - if someone's able to give a more detailed rundown on what the different fonts in the editor are used for it would be appreciated, the manual isn't all that good on explaining this

They are explained in the info panel as one cursors over the Fonts Dialog buttons.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 4
RE: Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment? - 3/16/2019 3:51:07 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Cheers

I believe standard Window fonts are already available for selection via the Font selection popup. Now, if you have Office and want to use some of their fonts, you would have to type those names in manually.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 5
RE: Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment? - 3/16/2019 5:16:42 PM   
Shadrach

Thanks for the reply Bob - it's clearing up a bit

quote:

Really? Where?

I was changing fonts for Anzio 1944 (@2km) and for instance "Placename Font" is the font used in *all* zoom levels for villages and cities. So it's not consistent, but I think maybe this is the only one where it applies, and it had me confused. Maybe a bug, makes it hard to set consistent font on all levels.

Also, it still kind of looks like it's kind of up to the designer of the level what fonts are used where, as I've seen the same font used for both cities and mountain/terrain features.
They should rename the first ones to "Large..." to clarify they are meant for the Large zoom level (one up from Huge).

quote:

No. It's for the movement paths. The path that follows the cursor when you are moving a unit.

Thanks, makes sense now

quote:

I don't know. I just included them because they were part of Ralph's font definition.

I guess only Norm would know this by now..?

quote:

They are explained in the info panel as one cursors over the Fonts Dialog buttons.

OK, but not to the degree where it's completely clear (aka idiot-proof) where they are used. Especially the place names, which had me confused with the "Placename Font" since it works on all three levels apparently.

I think I've got the hang of it now - I've managed to make some of the fonts a bit smaller to not obscure too much of the map. And sorted out some inconsistencies, "Small Placename3" was blue for some reason.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 6
RE: Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment? - 3/16/2019 5:28:08 PM   
Shadrach

Example of the issue with "Placename Font" below. As you can see, the one with white background is the one. Makes it hard to make fonts readable in Small zoom and at the same time not too big for Huge zoom...

Not that Small zoom is one I use a lot, but still...

EDIT: It does appear to be scenario-specific, does not happen in other scenarios.

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 3/16/2019 6:07:23 PM >

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Mods >> Some Fonts Editor Enlightenment? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI